Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Lady asking if my drone is legal and she don't even know what a drone is
1469 18 2015-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fvillanueva
lvl.1

United States

first of All wasn't flying in a no fly zone and she straight asked me excuse me sir that legal I turn and answered yes it is she said are you sure I said absolutely she continued saying I don't think so she didn't even know what a drone was kinda ******* because she couldn't speak good English I was gonna answer in a rude way and ****** because it didn't seemed like it. some people needs some knowledge before assume *** and ruining other people's days and she had a spray can of wd40 like she was gonna spray me in the face or my drone with that lady completely ruined my day
Edited for verbal content and offensive content.  TE
2015-9-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Hey bud, sorry to hear about your negative encounter. That is always a bummer, even at the best of times.

Just a reminder this is a family friendly website, so please clean up the slang... ;-)

"Go" Fly in a different area and Try to avoid verbal confrontation.
The best answer you could have given her, was your silence. & the Back of your head...

RedHotPoker
2015-9-1
Use props
QECadmin
lvl.4

United States

Trump for President.
2015-9-1
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

LOL don't get me started.
2015-9-1
Use props
brycerichert
lvl.4
United States

Yes, I would have had a very interesting conversation with her.
2015-9-1
Use props
rayrokni
Captain
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

the only logical thing i ve heard today
2015-9-1
Use props
joecwilson
New

United States

If you memorize this and repeat it back, that should shut them up

* Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
* Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
* Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
* Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
* Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
2015-9-1
Use props
Alien tech
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84902 ft
Bulgaria

Stupid world is MAD, and 95% of the people in  it are..........   Some people really need to get a life, and thats no joke, sad acts!
2015-9-1
Use props
atkinson500
lvl.1

Australia

Id answer her question once and ignore her repeat questions after that.
2015-9-2
Use props
Kyokushin
Captain
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

There are people on the planet who have nothing other to do than ruining day of others.
Drone is not a problem, her is a problem, if you will have a ball/red hat/yellow shirt/short/long/hairs, or you  will just 'be', that will be also a problem for her.

If you are kind and she not understand, best you can do to inform her you will call a police if she not leave you alone.
2015-9-2
Use props
sploodge
Captain
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have only ever encountered friendly and curious people when flying in the UK. I did have one lady ask me if it could sky on her but after I let her see the screen she was OK and loved the views you see from the sky..

Although I don't appreciate being disturbed , I do engage with people when they come over to me, show them the screen and bring the P3 low so they can see themselves on it. Its not really my place not my job to educate them but do try and drop in some of the laws around flying them here in the UK and try and dispel some of the negativity the media ( not blaming any media in particular - Daily Freaking Mail ) surrounding the "Drones ".

Most people are just curious but some will have already made their minds up if they are OK with them or hate them. With the latter, you can only stand your ground and if need be involve the Police if they are begin unreasonable/aggressive ( even verbally ).
2015-9-2
Use props
Chuck1906
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3574003 ft
United States

I had a woman approach me last night who was out walking her dog. She wasn't sure what she was seeing at first until she turned the corner and saw me controlling the Phantom 3P. She stopped and made small talk then said she worked in real estate and that something like that would be awesome! I told her I was already looking into it lol!
2015-9-2
Use props
Rocket_Aus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

If you ask these techno phobes about what they think your quads capabilitys are they just assume that you can zoom into there bedroom window from 100  meters up, yeh they have seen drones on the news so thats what they think our quads do and naturally that we just have it to spy on people.
2015-9-2
Use props
jayhkr
Second Officer

United States

Sorry about your encounter.  It's our responsibility to educate the public on our hobby.  You have to remember and try to put yourself in their shoes, this is a relatively NEW hobby and a lot of people are only hearing the negative aspects of it on TV/Newspaper.  If we take just a few minutes to show them what we do, educate them on the rules set by the FAA/FCC, and introduce them to the hobby in a positive way, they just might be more apt to no spray us with WD40.  I've, fortunately, had nothing but positive comments when I go out and fly.  I go out to my local lake at the off leash dog area.  Always careful when cars pull up with their pups, and EVERYONE has been astounded and amazed by what I do out there.  The love to watch their dogs just look up and wag their tail.  (Yes I keep it well above them at all times and hand catch it if they are still within the area I'm flying)  Hopefully one by one we as a UAV community can change the way the public views our hobby.
2015-9-2
Use props
aopisa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

I have had a few people stop by in the limited time flying my Phantom. Once I start explaining they think it is pretty fascinating. To counter some of the media hype, I try to show them that this device is not capable of spying on people very effectively. I bring the aircraft down in close and show them the view on the iPad. Then I say that this is sounds like a flying weed whacker and not very stealthy when in this close. Then I take it up to 100 feet or more and show them that not only can you still hear it, but now people, cars, etc. are tiny.

They are much more interested in the technology like RTH, what happens if you fly to far, etc. Then I explain some of the rules most of try to follow. Tell them it's not even possible to fly it near an airport, the White House, etc.

One woman I had this type of conversation with reposted a video I made on her Facebook page and said she saw her first drone. Immediately someone replied with a comment "ewwwww". She replied that actually it was pretty cool and was going to post a video she took of me explaining it. So, I made more than one convert for the cause.  After that another person posted that they wished I had flown up their driveway!

Even though I burn through my battery having these public relations conversations, I think it is important to help dispel some of the fear and hysteria about these devices since most people are only getting one side of the story.
2015-9-2
Use props
ryanbattey
lvl.1

United States

I agree  people need to be well informed of the hobby because even I feel nervous when I take it out around public place with only a few people around
2015-9-2
Use props
CapitAn
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

l've also only had positive encounters from people who were curious and interested.
2015-9-2
Use props
don.hilton
lvl.1

United States

Your Fired!
2015-9-2
Use props
ag0n
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I've only had one encounter, and it was positive.  It was one of my earliest flights, and I was flying at the soccer field where the dealer takes new owners to train them for their first flight.  Now and then, there's an RC plane out there, but not often.  People also take their kids or pets to walk around the access road that encircles the facility.  I had been the only one out there, when I noticed an older (not older than me) woman approaching on the road with a young boy.  As she walked by, she stopped and commented that it looked like a really neat place to do what I was doing.  I agreed with her and went over to talk to her for a minute because I was pretty sure the boy was interested.  I brought the hovering P3 over closer to us and hovered just a little over head high with myself between them and the UAV.  I explained how stable it was and demonstrated by grabbing it and moving it a little and watched it go back where it had been.  They were fascinated and the little boy was grinning ear to ear.  They were quite interested and stopped to watch a few times as they worked their way around the large facility.  It was a good experience.
2015-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules