Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New GPS Mod and Compass
1044 19 2015-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marty
lvl.2
United States

I have replaced my GPS module and compass. My GPS was not present, Compass calibrated and seemed fine, but they seem to be a closely related function, so I reasoned it was a good idea to replace them both.

Fired up the bird and no change.... still no GPS.

I'm wondering there are any steps other than a Compass calibration that I should be doing?

2015-9-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Have you done the IMU calibration.?
2015-9-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Also check the wire that plugs the GPS into the Phantom make sure it's plugged in securely and not damaged.
2015-9-1
Use props
marty
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-1 20:57
Also check the wire that plugs the GPS into the Phantom make sure it's plugged in securely and not d ...

Hi Dave... thanks for your replies.

I have not done an IMU since the hardware replacement,  it sounds like I should do that.

Is there any chance it will affect the GPS reception? I'm getting no signal... it's like the mod isn't even there, and this is a new unit.

It's been suggested that I take it up to about 50ft in ATTI mode to see if GPS kicks in. Is that worth a shot in your estimation?
2015-9-1
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

marty Posted at 2015-9-2 12:01

I have not done an IMU since the hardware replacement,  it so ...

i doubt very much IMU calibration is going to have a bearing on gps signal.
i would check the cable and the connector on the Main Board to make sure no pins have been bent!!!! common problem with plugging these small pin connectors
2015-9-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

marty Posted at 2015-9-1 21:01

I have not done an IMU since the hardware replacement,  it so ...

You really should be seeing GPS reception quickly and easily on the ground. Especially with the Phantom3.
With the Phantom2 flying to an altitude of 50 feet in Attitude Mode was a trick that would work in order to get better GPS reception. So it stands to reason that it would work with the Phantom3 also.
I suppose it's worth a try.

What happened that caused you to need to replace your GPS and compass did you crash your phantom?
2015-9-1
Use props
marty
lvl.2
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-1 21:03
i would check the cabl ...

Check on that... there's no apparent physical problems.

If it's a circuit board problem, I've screwed myself for any warranty since I have already made the hardware swaps.

My only hope at this point seems to be software issue. That doesn't seem likely.

I'm hoping some other GPS Mod-swappers will chime in.
2015-9-1
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

marty Posted at 2015-9-2 12:07
Check on that... there's no apparent physical problems.

If it's a circuit board problem, I've sc ...

ok im going to ask a stupid question, no disrespect intended : have u stuck any labels or painted the top with some metalic paint or anything??
2015-9-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-1 21:03
i would check the cabl ...

I agree. IMU calibration is just always a good thing to do especially after changing out any major hardware on your phantom. That's why my second post I said to check the cable, I agree with you that that seems to be the most likely culprit.Good idea about the pins on the main board where it connects. I forgot to mention that. Well I was kind of thinking of it when I said make sure it's not damaged I was thinking of the pins and the cable.;-)

2015-9-1
Use props
marty
lvl.2
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-1 21:10
ok im going to ask a stupid question, no disrespect intended : have u stuck any labels or painted  ...

Believe me... no such thing as a stupid question when it comes to trouble-shooting.

Luckily, the answer is no. No paint, no assaults on the body.... no crashes. It hasn't even had its rotors attached yet.
2015-9-1
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

marty Posted at 2015-9-2 12:13
Believe me... no such thing as a stupid question when it comes to trouble-shooting.

Luckily, the  ...

there are no steps to get gps to function, no imu, no compass no gimbal calibrations is going to give u gps signal.
another stupid question: u r doing this outside with clear line to the skies above?
2015-9-1
Use props
marty
lvl.2
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-1 21:18
there are no steps to get gps to function, no imu, no compass no gimbal calibrations is going to g ...

I have an ideal area... 5 acres. A had a Phantom 2 that worked perfectly right out of the box at the same location.

I'm stumped.
2015-9-1
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

marty Posted at 2015-9-2 12:21
I have an ideal area... 5 acres. A had a Phantom 2 that worked perfectly right out of the box at t ...

did u say u checked the cables and the pins on the main board? do u see any cracks in the board,
2015-9-1
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

I just read through your other threads about this issue.  Looks like you're having a tough time with this problem. I can't really think of anything else that you could try. I hate to say it but you might have to return the unit for service.
2015-9-1
Use props
marty
lvl.2
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-1 21:23
did u say u checked the cables and the pins on the main board? do u see any cracks in the board,

Cables and pins looked perfect... no visible signs of any issues on the board or the pin plugs. It was brand new out of the box, and it appeared just as such.

I thought for sure the new GPS module would do the trick, but there's something else going on.
2015-9-1
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

marty Posted at 2015-9-2 12:27
Cables and pins looked perfect... no visible signs of any issues on the board or the pin plugs. It ...

yea im afraid it seems that way. why dont u try a fw update to 132. if already at 132 then downgrade to 126 if pro and 128 if adv. then see if gps miraculously appears
2015-9-1
Use props
marty
lvl.2
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-1 21:30
yea im afraid it seems that way. why dont u try a fw update to 132. if already at 132 then downgra ...

I'm glad you suggested that... I was wondering if that might be a way of going through the firmware cycle to try and "jiggle" something back into play.

Stay tuned.... I'll post back here to report what happens. In the meantime, if anyone else has any experience or suggestions... please chime in.

Thanks for your input you guys... I really appreciate it.
2015-9-1
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

there is this thread, i know nothing to do with your problem, maybe!!
but worth a read., get ur rubber mallet ready though

http://forum.dji.com/thread-19612-1-1.html
2015-9-1
Use props
marty
lvl.2
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-1 21:42
there is this thread, i know nothing to do with your problem, maybe!!
but worth a read., get ur rubb ...

I can use the one I've been beating my head with!

Thanks rayrokni !
2015-9-1
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

marty Posted at 2015-9-2 12:47
I can use the one I've been beating my head with!

Thanks rayrokni !

hey another person with same(ish) problem

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 6orderby%3Dlastpost
2015-9-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules