Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Range Problem with DJI Phantom 3 Standard
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nooky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 86106 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hello together,

I have read in an Dji Phantom 3 Standard review here, that the possible rage of the standard is not as high as of the Advanced or Professional. They say it has something to do with the frequencys and the local European regulations.

A friend of mine has a Phantom 3 Standard here in Germany and he says the range is not more than 150 meters.. if he flys beyond this 150 meters, it looses contact and enters RTH (Return to home) mode.

Is that realistic because of the frequencys and CEE regulations in Germany? Or might there be something defect on his Phantom 3 standard?

I know from other friends with Phantom 3 advanced, that they can achieve distances of up so 2 kilometers..

regards

2015-9-2
Use props
sploodge
lvl.4
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The P3 standard does not use lightbridge so its range will be limited compared to the P3A and P3P..

The P3S in a wide open area with clear view should be able to go as far a a Phantom 2 Vision could. I easily went at least than 1k with my P2.
2015-9-2
Use props
bazza220146.hot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1037615 ft
  • >>>
Australia

By any chance is there a beginners setting that can be changed, like the Advance and Pro?
2015-9-2
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

bazza220146.hot Posted at 2015-9-2 05:24
By any chance is there a beginners setting that can be changed, like the Advance and Pro?

I believe the beginner's setting is 30m distance and altitude.

I have not flown my Standard very far yet, but I did have it out over 500m without any drop in the signal.
2015-9-2
Use props
Nooky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 86106 ft
  • >>>
Germany

the beginners setting has nothing to do with that issue.. because in case of the beginners limit, it would not loose connection and start RTH.. it just would not go any further..

So there might be something defect
2015-9-2
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

From what I've gathered, the P3S uses the same communications technology as the Phantom 2 which is 5.8GHz and a range of ~ 800m (.5 mile)
The P3A & P3P both utilize 2.4GHz systems with lightbridge technology and the stated range is 2000m (1.3 miles)

Exactly how Lightbridge (which is mostly heralded as a video carrier technology) boosts range I don't know.
I've read that it's the antenna that boosts the range.
Does the controller signal ride piggyback on the lightbridge signal?

The transmitter output power is limited to 100mw so that isn't the answer.

If anyone knows of a link to a definitive technical discussion of Lightbridge technology that clearly explains how the Phantom CONTROL range is boosted I would enjoy reading it.
2015-9-2
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2015-9-2 11:52
From what I've gathered, the P3S uses the same communications technology as the Phantom 2 which is 5 ...

Over on the Phantom Pilots forum many range extender mods have been done on other Phantoms. People actively started working on it as soon as the Standard was available. The tech talk is beyond me, but it's all there if you want to check it out.
2015-9-2
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105318 ft

United Kingdom

I haven't gone past this level but interested in the answer.   I assumed that you would lose video on your phone/tablet due to the lack of lightbidge but assumed that the distance travelled would be limited to the RC which is different to the Advanced and Professional.

As I say, I have no idea but interested in others responses
2015-9-2
Use props
top_lay
lvl.1
Flight distance : 167 ft
Indonesia

I had problems with my Dji phantom 3 standard. after the firmware update 3.1.50, my aircraft flying range to be reduced drastically, altitude is only 25-67 meters, 30-88 meters distance. for connection to the camera is often no signal or disconnected. I've tried to cross-check my remote had used for aircraft belonging to my friend normal scope. but my friend used remote aircraft to me, it was not normal coverage will. Maybe big problem in my aircraft. I tried to downgrade the firmware 1.2.40+, but the remote control did not want to connect with the aircraft. already tried linking RC tetep not want to connect. I upgraded the firmware again to 01.03.50, again like the first problem. how do I fix it? What must wait for a firmware update phantom 3 standard versions of anew from Dji? but when his Dji issued? I really hope soon Dji issued the latest version of the firmware to fix the problem my P3S? thanks.
2016-2-9
Use props
chrismillerjunk
lvl.1

United States

top_lay@yahoo.c Posted at 2016-2-9 11:16
I had problems with my Dji phantom 3 standard. after the firmware update 3.1.50, my aircraft flying  ...

Did you hear anything?  I have the same problem..   Just bought my phantom a month ago, everything was gravy, did the update, now I can barely get 250 feet out of it and no one has any help or knowledge.  I dont want to return it but I fear I might have to.  Why cant DJI just say "yeah we know this is a problem and are looking into it" instead of being silent
2016-3-10
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

chrismillerjunk Posted at 2016-3-10 07:13
Did you hear anything?  I have the same problem..   Just bought my phantom a month ago, everything ...

Chris  if you can return it I would.  No -one ever seems happy with the Standard and I think the Advance and Pro are reasonably priced right Now.  It is not worth the headache with the standard .  If you can return it still ,  do so and get the Advanced or Pro.  You will love it.  You probably are ready for the Advanced or Pro by now anyway.  Let me know if you get one  and I will help you with the updates.  ( Just a few hints and tips that will make it a breeeze )

I saw your other Post, but I have no good  answers for you other than to send it in for repair.  Not worth it , just upgrade.

Cheers - Donnie
donaldjames1990@gmail.com                        if you need help with Phantom Advanced or Pro.
2016-3-10
Use props
uskaper
lvl.2
Flight distance : 155581 ft
  • >>>
Slovenia

Exactly the same happened to me... I only get 58m height and around 200m lenght in my flights... notice that this is football field with no interference and I flew my P3S higher than 100m there... ( before the "update" happened)

So frustrating...
2016-3-10
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

uskaper Posted at 2016-3-10 11:40
Exactly the same happened to me... I only get 58m height and around 200m lenght in my flights... not ...

There are some products out there that will help the standard users range greatly.
Windsurfer, argtek, DBS mod, and others.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BYCPSN6/
http://www.amazon.com/ITELITE-IT ... TENNA/dp/B01BTBIXPC

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BAEGRZ6

These really do help in the range using the standard model.

2016-3-10
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-10 11:27
Chris  if you can return it I would.  No -one ever seems happy with the Standard and I think the Ad ...

True, the advanced and professional are much better, but some might have owned theirs for a while and the option to return might not be an option.  I purchased the standard knowing I was going to change those bloody antennas and after that I have a solid 1.5 mile range (Standard because of the FCC LOS battle and all).

So there are options besides thinking the standard line is trash.  It really is a good product, they just did not really think much in the R&D side when it came down to the dBi within the 2.4 and 5.8 gHz antennas.

Added note: Standards Firmware should really be addressed, but I fear that will never come since the release of the Phantom 4.  It is just a simple case of the signal strength / channel usage was changed and should be corrected.
2016-3-10
Use props
snowsurferss
lvl.3

United States

Here is a video of my completely stock P3 Standards range test, 1300m.
2016-3-10
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
United States

snowsurferss Posted at 2016-3-10 12:23
Here is a video of my completely stock P3 Standards range test, 1300m.
https://www.youtube.com/watch ...

Nice!  did you use a windsurfer at all?
Also, silly question. I assume you did the screen recording with a droid, but if iOS, anyone know a good tool?
2016-3-10
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

microcyb Posted at 2016-3-10 11:04
There are some products out there that will help the standard users range greatly.
Windsurfer, arg ...

Micro,  I made a direct reply to Chris, just like I am doing to you.  I never said: " The standard Line is Trash"
  On another Post Chris said that He does not wish to modify in any way his Transmitter.  Chris  mentioned that he had the option to return it and that is what I think he should do.  By the Time You invest in a good modification, you are now at the cost of a Phantom Advance. With modifications there is no way  to get  warranty  should something go wrong.  I was getting  over 3 miles  and then some with the Lighbridge on my Phantom Pro. I will concede that my solution wont work for others,  I have just seen so many problems with interference and firmware problems ( On the Standard) that do not get addressed by DJI.  I think the profit margins are more  on the  Higher end stuff and that is where they put there energy.  I hope you find a soloution to your problems , but I do not  think adding modifications is the answer.
With all Respect.

All the Best to you and yours - donnie
2016-3-10
Use props
snowsurferss
lvl.3

United States

microcyb Posted at 2016-3-10 10:33
Nice!  did you use a windsurfer at all?
Also, silly question. I assume you did the screen recordin ...

Nope, just a completely stock P3 Standard. I use Androids,  AZ Screen Recorder, great app, incredibly quick and easy to use, and many custom settings.
2016-3-10
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-3-10 12:37
Micro,  I made a direct reply to Chris, just like I am doing to you.  I never said: " The stand ...

You are correct that your comment was directed to Chris, but this is still an open forum so just wanted to let others know all is not lost.
I have had an awesome time using the Standard line (no issues here), but unlike others who did not really know the true difference between each model, I choose the standard knowing range was going to be a concern.
I look at it this way.  New to flying so if I crash, I have enough money for repairs of replacement (That was before the DJI care came out that is).

It is true, that making non DIY modifications increases the cost, but lately those prices have come down (seen one kit for $50.00 US).

I just wanted to let others know if they did purchase a standard model, there are options.

So in conclusion, if people have the money or newly purchasing please do purchase an PS3 advanced/Professional , PS4 model, but for existing standard users know that you can still extend the range.

Last note: When you said "No -one ever seems happy with the Standard", in text format that kinda implies a negitive connotation, so my assumtion was just that.  

2016-3-10
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
United States

snowsurferss Posted at 2016-3-10 12:40
Nope, just a completely stock P3 Standard. I use Androids,  AZ Screen Recorder, great app, incredi ...

Nice thank you, I will have to use my droid and give that a go!
2016-3-10
Use props
iLuvMyPhantom
lvl.1

Hi Nooky, I too am a new drone user and bought the Standard.  I would say first off your friend should check in his settings and see if he has a range limit set just to be safe since 150 is so low.

I live in a community at the north of end of a small city , our community is at the edge of a Federal Preserve so I have houses with lots of wi-fi and power lines and some industry in one dir and a massive forest with 110 ft trees  in the other dir.  As you can probably guess I get a 'range' of ranges when flying.  With no kind of mods at all my standard has gone from a range of around 1200ft (at a 400ft elev) all the way up to 2300ft (400 feet elev)...I have nowhere I can test it with an open field environment with no obstructions.  In an open area with clear view of the sky I am confident I could go much further; I have just built a parabolic antenna for mine and will test soon so hopefully I can go a lot further after that.
2016-3-10
Use props
microcyb
lvl.4
United States

iLuvMyPhantom Posted at 2016-3-10 13:00
Hi Nooky, I too am a new drone user and bought the Standard.  I would say first off your friend shou ...

Have you posted any videos?  I Always enjoy a good drone video.
2016-3-10
Use props
RICK8162JR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47192 ft
United States

I HAD RANGE PROBLEMS WITH MY STANDARD, DVD ON BACK OF ANTANA GOT ME 2092 METERS AND A DBS MOD BROUGHT MY STANDARD TO LIFE OVER 4023 METERS NO PROBLEM WITH STRONG BARS LEFT ON CONTROLER
2016-3-10
Use props
chrismillerjunk
lvl.1

United States

microcyb Posted at 2016-3-10 12:04
Windsurfer, arg ...

Yes I realize that there are third party products however I can barely get 250 feet out of something that claims it can go 1km without mods.  Obviously there will be some give and take on a kilometer and I am NOWHERE near that.  I shouldnt have to buy third party products where are stock isnt giving me 1/10th of what it claims it will. Thank you though.
2016-3-10
Use props
RICK8162JR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47192 ft
United States

my max without mod was 200-300m $109.00  mod made my day2.5 mile
2016-3-11
Use props
PaulNicholson
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I've the same problem. I've contacted DJI and they have requested the unit to be sent to them. I believe there is a fault with the range. For the first few days I was achieving 600+ meters. Try contact DJI direct. It's not a fast process but hope it helps. Xx
2016-3-11
Use props
dhassinger
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1207 ft
United States

PaulNicholson Posted at 2016-3-11 14:02
I've the same problem. I've contacted DJI and they have requested the unit to be sent to them. I bel ...

I keep reading that so many people have lost range after the last firmware update (myself included). DJI says "send it in". That doesn't make sense to me unless the latest firware actually "broke" something. DGI would you please explain. Is there going to be a firmware fix for this problem or should everybody who has experienced this problem begin the process of sending it in or returning to the store for a refund?
2016-3-11
Use props
Norman
New

Malaysia

After updates, shutdown and restart P3S and remote. Carry out re-link RC to aircraft. Shutdown and restart both devices again. That helps to resolve my connection and range issues on P3S.
Try it and let us know if it works for you.
2016-3-11
Use props
iLuvMyPhantom
lvl.1

microcyb Posted at 2016-3-11 02:10
Have you posted any videos?  I Always enjoy a good drone video.

Not yet but I will take a vid at the river in the preserve, usually some turtles hanging out on the logs and I learned that if I fly above them and hover down a bit I can film and they wont dive off the logs...yet if you walk even a 100 yards from them and make the slightest noise on the ground they all instantly vanish.  We just had big rains for a few days too which usually brings some pretty cool wildlife out, I also have to test my frankenstein parabolic I made so I will probably do both tomorrow; will post a vid over the river no matter what though!
2016-3-11
Use props
Sundance Kid
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1207 ft
United States

Norman Posted at 2016-3-11 16:35
After updates, shutdown and restart P3S and remote. Carry out re-link RC to aircraft. Shutdown and r ...

No joy Norman. At 200 feet (altitude) I still loose connection. I still have control of the aircraft but loose video and App says "disconnected". This leads me to believe that this is a downlink issue with the 2.4g link. I think this will go back to Best Buy for a full refund if DJI does not acknowledge that this firmware version has a problem.
2016-3-12
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Sundance Kid Posted at 2016-3-12 09:34
No joy Norman. At 200 feet (altitude) I still loose connection. I still have control of the aircra ...

Sundance if you can go to best buy get and get a  refund.  Just bump up to the advanced or Pro and you will not be disappointed.  There are just to many variables and interference with this model.  The Lightbridge is the most solid I have ever seen , I have been flying for 25 years. The standard is more of a toy for those who fly limited ranges and  the 2.4 ghz is on a very busy spectrum and a million things can cause grief.  Now I Know some folks will dog me for saying it is a toy and that you can do modifications to make it work better,  fine to each there own, but for the same amount to do a modification  ( a good one) you are at at the same price as the Phantom Advance with no risk of defeating your warrenty.   

Let me know if you need any help with the advance or Pro and I would be happy  to help.  -donnie
2016-3-12
Use props
michaelfinney_h
lvl.2

United States

I had a similar problem with a "NO SIGNAL" indication that occurred randomly. Upgraded my tablet to a NVIDIA SHIELD K1 and the problem went away. Solid video now
2016-3-12
Use props
johnathens1973
lvl.1

Greece

What is official answer about signal lost from 20 meters?
2016-9-17
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

johnathens1973 Posted at 2016-9-18 08:32
What is official answer about signal lost from 20 meters?

There is no official answer, DJI do not issue them.
2016-9-17
Use props
rr
lvl.4
Denmark

DJI official answer send the bird in for evaluation lol lol as they alway use mosttimes
2016-9-17
Use props
johnathens1973
lvl.1

Greece

Evaluation is the flight recorder in mobile device.Dji thinks maybe that owners is little children to  silence all the  time for this problem will see ......
2016-9-18
Use props
johnathens1973
lvl.1

Greece

In my videos in youtube my subject is dji ....and the place may i must stop write dji ....becouse future buyers see only the good video they cant understand that pilot is blind on the ground  we are all blind wake up be responsible to your customers it is very dangerous for all lifes on the ground wake up dji
2016-9-18
Use props
MpBeFzwiMkWh
lvl.1

Hi new to this forum bought ph 3 standard a week ago range problem straight away, thought it was beginner mode prob but not so, have a cheap syma 8 with no range probs, will this prob be sorted anybody know pls
2016-9-18
Use props
user29c90bc1e5
New

Australia

I just got one too, same issue, 8 can control the bird with full RC signal but it loses video signal higher than 35m, if I keep it at 20m altitude I can go 170m distance then loses signal. I have latest firmware, should I roll back the firmware? Anyone got a link to where to find the firmwares? I'll also try the 27db mod and see if that helps!
2016-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules