Please comment so that i can improve!
Shot with I1 and P3P

2015-9-3
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
United States

Great job, there are some truly wonderful moments in there.

You asked for a critique so here are my thoughts:

1. Many of the shots are overexposed.  This becomes obvious when you lose all detail in the light areas.   When this happens the image becomes brash and looks a bit amateurish.

2. Those first two barn shots are gold!   Love the setting, the movement and the lighting!  Well done!   I think staying with the barn/museum setting after that worked against you.  Just show the magic, cut the ordinary bits.    I would MUCH prefer to see a 45 second showreel that is pure gold than a 2 minute reel that alternates between gold and ordinary.

3. Be a little more selective of your shots.  Many have little bumps and things along the way that you should cut around.   This also forces you to use shorter bits, which is also good.   I should be sitting here being amazed as each shot is more spectacular than the last.  Blow my socks off!

4. I WISH I had access to that road where you shot the bike, that's an amazing location!   Would have loved to see a shot a couple of feet off the ground flying down that road, would look awesome!   
So that's about it, watch your exposure and don't blow out the highlights, cut around bumps and don't use a single frame of footage unless it's just too good to ignore!

Hope this helps.

Jim
2015-9-3
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-9-3 12:49
Great job, there are some truly wonderful moments in there.

You asked for a critique so here are my ...

Thanks Jim! I am still playing around with exposure, am amazed by how much you have to bring it down... most is shot at -1/3, which as a photog seems low, but video is a whole different beast i am learning... and will continue cutting!
Thanks always for your insight!
I hope most people see how much you contribute and help! Will make another one soon...
2015-9-3
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
United States

nofearmx@gmail. Posted at 2015-9-3 12:58
Thanks Jim! I am still playing around with exposure, am amazed by how much you have to bring it do ...

Hey nofearmx,

Thanks for the kind words.

Are you using auto mode and just bringing EV down?   You should really use manual mode, shoot in RAW and use the overexposure warning and histogram.   They are really the only ways to ensure you aren't shooting too hot.
2015-9-3
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-9-3 13:16
Hey nofearmx,

Thanks for the kind words.

I use manual... and yes use both zebra and histogram... I am going to be playing even more now since i have the ND filters and I have to admit that video is a whole new dimension... as from my understanding you really do want to make sure you control your shutter speed... which i am finding is only possible with the filters and playing with that on top of making sure your exposure is correct... but am loving every minute of it!
The learning and the possibilities are phenomenal!
2015-9-3
Use props
nebelung
lvl.3
Flight distance : 613615 ft
United States

Hey nofearmx,

Some really nice shots in that video. Great job.

I agree with jimhare, exposure control is the main issue. If you are in a situation where you have to weigh best shutter speed against possible overexposure, I'd say always make sure that you have the right exposure. A little underexposed is easier to fix than a little over. And yeah, using the right ND filter will help.

I don't know what you are editing in, but if you are comfortable doing some color correction, make sure to shoot in Log and dial contrast, sharpness and saturation back (I am at -1).

But really cool locations and shots. Thanks for sharing.
2015-9-3
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

nebelung Posted at 2015-9-3 17:06
Hey nofearmx,

Some really nice shots in that video. Great job.

Thanks!
I actually use -1, -3, -1 and log... don't do a whole bunch of color correcting yet as i am not comfortable with it... mostly rely on looks from red giant... i have to take the time and work with colorist asa well as that seems like a great tool for sure.
Thanks for your feedback greatly appreciated. I will try to keep it underexposed even more... like i said my photography background keeps creeping up and i am still learning this new tool that just has so many facets and potential.
I still don't understand the negative talk about DJI products as the P3P or the I1 are fantastic, I am probably still only using and flying them only at 20% of the capacity... just not enough time in the day to fly as much as i want :-(
And yes lucky enough to live in nothern nevevada where the counrty is just gorgeous... :-)
2015-9-3
Use props
nebelung
lvl.3
Flight distance : 613615 ft
United States

nofearmx@gmail. Posted at 2015-9-3 17:41
Thanks!
I actually use -1, -3, -1 and log... don't do a whole bunch of color correcting yet as i a ...

You know, when I was looking at your video, I was wondering if you were using some preset looks like those from Red Giant...because sometimes those can blow out the highlights like that.

Don't get me wrong. Magic Bullet presets can be a great tool, but they shouldn't take the place of proper color correction.

It sounds (and looks) like you have experience with photography, so this should not be too hard. Just pick a tool, and there are many, check out a tutorial or two and do a basic color correction.

Start by keeping it simple, just proper black and white levels and color balance. In Premiere that can be as basic as using the 3-way Color Corrector and Contrast Effects or the new Lumetri Color panel, which should remind you a little of Lightroom. Or try the free version of DaVinci Resolve. Even Magic Bullet has some neutral presets under Grading Setups. It'll all work, but I recommend keeping it simple in the beginning.

Once you have a proper color balance, you can go and create a more stylized look like those in Magic Bullet. But even with those, use them as a starting point. I usually end up dialing them back a good bit.

Hope that helps.

And I had no idea that Northern Nevada is that pretty. Thanks again for sharing.
2015-9-3
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

nebelung Posted at 2015-9-3 22:46
You know, when I was looking at your video, I was wondering if you were using some preset looks li ...

Thanks I will try that moving forward for sure... Ok tried did some cuts, balanced colors but kept the general feel... does look better i think subtle but better...
Thanks all for your feedback!
2015-9-4
Use props
joeyjoe
lvl.2

United States

Looks great to me. I could only dream of making a video like your.
2015-9-4
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

joeyjoe Posted at 2015-9-4 14:39
Looks great to me. I could only dream of making a video like your.

Thanks Joeyjoe... but they all brought up some great pointers and that is have the fun: learning and getting better! :-)
2015-9-4
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

nebelung Posted at 2015-9-3 22:46
You know, when I was looking at your video, I was wondering if you were using some preset looks li ...

here is the mod version... obviously i can't go back and shoot it less exposed but this is with some color correction and more cutting

2015-9-4
Use props
Koavog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1359800 ft
United States

Nofearmx, Great stuff, nicely done. I ditto everything already said...I used to live in Elko and the shot of the small lake brought back memories. I believe it's in the Ruby mountains, I've hiked there and fished from that very outcrop. I look forward to more videos...
2015-9-5
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

Koavog Posted at 2015-9-5 23:18
Nofearmx, Great stuff, nicely done. I ditto everything already said...I used to live in Elko and the ...

Small world! :-)
2015-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules