1773 7 2015-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nico_mav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1858852 ft
Greece

Hello there.
At this Tuesday I have a trailer to do and the Director need some shots with my drone but I have to take off from the 25m boat. I know its difficult to calibrate on board but if I do not calibrate or if I celebrate in the port before we leave?! what if I flying my phantom in ATTI mode!?
How risky is that ?
Any suggestions are welcome.
Regards.
2015-9-5
Use props
roy
lvl.4

United States

You can do it if you are an experienced flyer. However you may want to check out dynamic home point where as your home position is upgraded every two seconds to your table or phones GPS location where ever you are. Yes to the calibrations if necessary on shore before boarding. Using dynamic home point you can still fly with GPS control. Other who fly from boats my have some additional info.
2015-9-6
Use props
nico_mav
lvl.4
Greece

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2015-9-6 13:19
You can do it if you are an experienced flyer. However you may want to check out dynamic home point  ...

Thank you Roy. But I have the phantom 2 with GoPro. I don't have the app for setting home point on the air and I don't know if I have that ability to do that in my version ?!
However if I calibrate the drone in the port and fly in atti mode later, is that safe ?
2015-9-6
Use props
nico_mav
lvl.4
Greece

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2015-9-6 13:19
You can do it if you are an experienced flyer. However you may want to check out dynamic home point  ...

If I'm next to the big boat with a very small plastic or wooden boat, can I set I home point and flying with GPS ?
2015-9-6
Use props
gary.ok
lvl.3
United States

You can calibrate your compass if you need to on the boat, but it's probably better to do it on land before you get out on the water.  I fly mine exclusively out of my Jon boat.  It's aluminum so in theory I should be able to do the compass calibration on the boat, but I never do.  I don't actually calibrate the compass all that often anyways.  

As far as your home point that is where you need to take a few precautions.  For me I am typically either at anchor, or beached so I am not moving.  So I set my home point just like I do when I would fly on land.  That being said if the phantom decides to return home and land you need to be aware that there is a good chance its not going to land in your boat.  More than likely in the lake a foot or two away.  Just be aware that return to home has unique problems when you are on the water.  If you are moving then you really should set the dynamic home point.  This has nothing to do with the camera.  All this does is allow the home point to move with you.  So if your boat moves so does the home point.  The return to home issues still apply, but at least its still going back to where you are not where you were.  You can set dynamic home point by toggling the switches I think.  I don't do that all that often because I am usually stationary.  Look in the manual to see how to do it.  Once its set it follows your phone.  One more thing to point out.  Dynamic home point can trigger some additional problems.  When the phantom evaluates battery life it looks at where it is and where home is.  If you get further away than it has battery power to get back it may trigger a return to home.  Not a problem, just be aware and make sure it does not land in the lake.  

Hope that helps.  
2015-9-8
Use props
nico_mav
lvl.4
Greece

gary.ok@hotmail Posted at 2015-9-9 00:22
You can calibrate your compass if you need to on the boat, but it's probably better to do it on land ...

Thank you Gary. Everything was fine. I fly and I calibrate my phantom on the boat with no problems.
I fly for about 10 times and every time I calibrate the drone.
No interferences, no funny things, nothing.
2015-9-9
Use props
Mhook1
lvl.1
United States

I have flown many times from anchored or moving boats. Mever had a problem. I do always fly it out of my hand amd retrieve it from the air. Just make sure you have plenty of battery to retrieve because sometimes it takes a couple trys to retrieve on a rocking or moving boat
2015-9-14
Use props
markfrank
lvl.3
Flight distance : 100331 ft
France

Mhook1 Posted at 2015-9-14 18:03
I have flown many times from anchored or moving boats. Mever had a problem. I do always fly it out o ...

Hi,
do you have any problem with with IMU initialisation when  sarting from a moving boat?
Mark from France, P3P
Thanks
2015-10-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules