Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Does anyone make walking videos with the Action 4?
12Next >
2651 41 2023-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DT0125
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hello

I have another thread running about why my picture jitters but are there any others who do walking videos on here want to share thoughts?

I have made some walking videos in London for my Youtube site and some are fine but some I am a bit disappointed with. I am not expecting the earth, just something usable.

I usually have a magnetic necklace under my top to keep the camera in one place, rather than holding a stick out in front of me, and find it okay, although not perfect.

I now have a clip that fits to my back back, which makes things potentially easier,

However, the best settings I am struggling with, just a go to set for daytime walking, anyone have those sorts I can try?

I also did London at night recently with disappointing results via the Action 4, but may not have done things right. Tbf, I just want some day footage working nicely so I can adjust white balance etc for night time stuff.

Thanks for any help given.
2023-11-17
Use props
osmonauta
Captain
Hungary

(Just a quick note, you posted your other walking video issue in the Osmo Mobile 4 forum.)

I do some walking videos from time to time with a neck mount. Since I usually like to record the whole route, I mainly use Hyperlapse 2x. But that’s not critical. I just don’t want to sit in front of the computer for 2 hours to watch it back. :-)

I am curious, why are you using 50fps? Walking is not speed critical. 50fps would already require more light to begin with.
What is the reason for EV -3 and a fixed shutter?

When I walk, I try to consider the weather. I usually try not to film when it’s too cloudy because I am already setting myself up for disappointment (for the most part).

I try to estimate if there is a chance I will walk in or around darker alleys, underpasses, maybe walk into buildings, or darker areas. Since I record the whole thing in one go (meaning I don’t stop the recording and adjust parameters), that would determine the settings for shutter and ISO.

When I am not planning to go inside buildings or darker spots and the weather is very bright, I keep the ISO on 100-400. Sometimes I choose 100-800. If I plan to walk into a building or a darker area, I set it to 100-1600 but I try to avoid going above that knowing the camera will push the ISO as far up as it can, which can degrade the quality.

For shutter, under bright, sunny conditions, 1/100 - 1/8000 settings gives me good results, but to be on the safe side for the EIS, 1/200 - 1/8000 is a safer bet.

I am no expert but I believe the combination of your setting is giving you problems. 50fps with an EvV of -3 plus a fixed 1/160 shutter. I believe you should use fixed shutter if the camera is still (eg on a tripod). Otherwise quickly changing lighting conditions (even walking into a shadow of a tree) can throw things off. People recommend using at least 1/200 due to EIS, but as I was saying, under sunny conditions 1/100 gives me good result (of course not with 50fps and EV -3).

I mostly use 30fps for virtually everything. Don’t care about light flickers and such. 30fps gives me a good balance for my likes and taste.
2023-11-17
Use props
Iancraig10
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi,

To me, it looks a bit dark because you have the EV a bit low. I understand that you are trying to avoid blowing out highlights but the most I go under is -1 in the sun or -0.7. In dull conditions -0.3 and indoors 0. (Generally)

The shutter is just on the slow side to show problems from stabilisation. When you walk, you send a judder with each step through the camera and the stabilisation tries to correct it. To do that, it needs a fast shutter so that the picture is dead sharp. I would set it to auto with a minimum of 1/200.

White balance is incorrect. Normally, for wandering I would set auto or 5600 for daylight. You have it too high.

For colour, I use D-cine (is it? ..... whatever that other setting is called)  because it is better for a wide contrast range and is easily adjusted in post. ‘Normal’ can look very contrasty.

I think you are trying to get more like a camera look with a slower shutter and everything set up in manual so that colour remains consistent, but with action cams, you have to kind of forget this stuff and do what action cam people do. The cameras are designed for fast shutter and frame rates.

You could try 30fps but I would personally stick with 50 or even 60 (for TV and YouTube)  30fps is fine for slow stuff and smoother stuff, but it is never as smooth as 60 which is comparatively like butter.

Certainly for wandering around, auto is your friend with these cameras but for interspersed moments where the camera might be stiller or something really food, I then delve into the manual stuff more because I can take my time. It is REALLY surprising how ‘filmic’ the footage can look if you have the time…. Especially at 24fps, but for general walking, I would do nothing fancy. Too much to go wrong!

2023-11-17
Use props
osmonauta
Captain
Hungary

This was my first walking test about a year ago at dusk (OA3). Camera was on full auto, 30fps, 1080, Telesin neck mount. Full auto still did a fairly decent job even in the underpass.

2023-11-17
Use props
osmonauta
Captain
Hungary

Here's another sample with Shutter: 1/200-1/8000, ISO: 100-800, 30FPS, 1080p. Telesin neck mount.
This one was uploaded at 15Mbps (so half of the original bitrate).

2023-11-17
Use props
Iancraig10
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That neck mount works well. Or you’re a dead smooth walker! I might try one of those I think.
Have you got the Telesin screw on version or the magnetic? I saw two types.....
I wondered whether that magnetic one is worth the extra cost.
2023-11-17
Use props
osmonauta
Captain
Hungary

Iancraig10 Posted at 11-17 08:39
That neck mount works well. Or you’re a dead smooth walker! I might try one of those I think.

I think it's the latter. I'm a dead walker.

I use this one:
https://www.telesinstore.com/products/telesin-magnetic-neck-holder-mount-for-gopro

And don't forget that RockSteady does a really good job. However, if you are not making Hyperlases then you can engage HorizonBalance instead and that will give you a straight footage even if the neck mount is not super-duper centered. Yes, a narrower field of view, but it's still acceptable.
2023-11-17
Use props
Iancraig10
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oh blimey. I forget that so many here aren’t native English speakers so expressions like ‘dead smooth’ might be bad!!! Sorry!!! It's because so many speak better English than the English ......

Ok, that looks great. I think I’ll have a go with one. Thank you!
2023-11-17
Use props
osmonauta
Captain
Hungary

There are two versions of that. If you have a bigger neck, you might wanna pick the wider version.
2023-11-17
Use props
DT0125
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi

Thanks for all the answers, all very interesting,

Some nice walking footage. When you say all auto, which of these images do you mean ? I have set Pro to Auto on the options I can, I think.

Once I know, I'll go out and try test filming again and try variations of 4k, 2.7 and 1080p at 30fps.

This is a sample below of what I have filmed on our channel and this one says 4k 100pfs, so wondering if I had It on Auto then. I wasn't tweaking settings at that time.

2023-11-17
Use props
osmonauta
Captain
United States

Sorry for not clarifying. I thought people can read my mind :-)

I mentioned "full auto", which (in my terminology) refers to the PRO mode being turned OFF. So essentially you just set the resolution (1080, 2.7k, 4k) and the framrate (possibly the FOV) and just record away.

Your video looks really nice. But I think it has some sort of jerky effect if you look at it closely. I think it may have to do with the fact that you upload it at 100fps but it only plays back at 50.

YouTube upload guide does state that "Common frame rates include: 24, 25, 30, 48, 50, 60 frames per second (other frame rates are also acceptable)."
(link: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171#zippy=%2Cframe-rate)

But when you look at the playback settings, you can see that only 50p options are available (when you click the cog wheel and select "quality"). Also, when you right click the video and select "Stats for nerds" from the popup, you can see the playback framrate is only 50fps. So it might not even worth to upload at 100.

2023-11-17
Use props
Fishycomics
Captain
United States

I made a lot of walkin gvids back then and  brushed a lot off too

2023-11-17
Use props
osmonauta
Captain
Hungary

Fishycomics Posted at 11-17 16:14

https://youtu.be/QK_5g07UKvQ

The tag for the video says it's GoPro.
2023-11-17
Use props
DT0125
lvl.4
United Kingdom

osmonauta Posted at 11-17 14:06
Sorry for not clarifying. I thought people can read my mind :-)

I mentioned "full auto", which (in my terminology) refers to the PRO mode being turned OFF. So essentially you just set the resolution (1080, 2.7k, 4k) and the framrate (possibly the FOV) and just record away.

Thats all very interesting and helpful stuff, i am really looking to get the jerky stuff out as much as i can. I don’t have a gimbal any more but may consider it again, i wanted to be more discreet when filming in somewhere like London. As i say i use a magnetic necklace, which makes it sway a bit. I can live with that, its more the case that the footage just wasn’t as good as i would have hoped. I watched quite a few YouTube videos on the settings before coming back to this forum and their footage looked good so i tried copying it (all the videos were Action 4 ones) and i wasn’t getting similar results.
I am going to try your suggestion today with the auto settings (Pro off) and see what i get.
I have also tried using the Gyroflow software and that has failed miserably software as has the stabilisation option in Da Vinci Resolve. I accept the fact i’ll get a little bounce but the video distortion is something i want rid of
2023-11-17
Use props
DT0125
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 11-17 16:14

https://youtu.be/QK_5g07UKvQ

Hi
I just watched the video and funnily enough i am doing all this for a short trip to New York i am doing at the start of December so the walk down 5th Avenue interested me. I looked at your gear list, so was that shot on an Action 4 and if yes, what’s your settings?

That’s an impressive amount of subs you have, has that been an accumulation across the years as i saw some of your car videos from a few years back have hundreds of thousands of views or did you get a lot from the outset?
2023-11-17
Use props
Fishycomics
Captain
United States

osmonauta Posted at 11-17 17:19
The tag for the video says it's GoPro.

bso you picked out the tag , that is nice of you you missed the point
2023-11-18
Use props
Fishycomics
Captain
United States

DT0125 Posted at 11-17 23:44
Hi
I just watched the video and funnily enough i am doing all this for a short trip to New York i am doing at the start of December so the walk down 5th Avenue interested me. I looked at your gear list, so was that shot on an Action 4 and if yes, what’s your settings?

thank you:   Action 4 no,  it was a video made  as shown in 2017 DJI was not about getting started bak then,   settis are  in the action 4 for me 4K24 (HDR auto on) Auto low light that is it
2023-11-18
Use props
osmonauta
Captain
Hungary

Fishycomics Posted at 11-18 03:26
bso you picked out the tag , that is nice of you you missed the point

The title of the post says "Does anyone make walking videos with the Action 4" and he was asking for settings. You uploaded a video that was made using a GoPro, without mentioning any settings. What point did I miss?
2023-11-18
Use props
DT0125
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I filmed this footage this morning, looks better

2023-11-18
Use props
Iancraig10
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That looks fine; especially in such low light too. If you shoot the same kind of thing on a GoPro, it often seems to run out of bits with all the leaves and goes blocky!

I often use d-log M in pro mode for 10 bit and more control with contrast, but the jitter has gone.

This thread has got me to buy a neck mount. Should be arriving today so I’m giving it a go soon!

Where you’re videoing looks so similar to where I am on the border of Surrey and Kent.
2023-11-18
Use props
Fishycomics
Captain
United States

osmonauta Posted at 11-18 04:29
The title of the post says "Does anyone make walking videos with the Action 4" and he was asking for settings. You uploaded a video that was made using a GoPro, without mentioning any settings. What point did I miss?

and I went just a lil off topic,  thanks  its a action camera so anything we do with film, is helpful, or is it not?
oh sorry I'll keep all action 4 even wit ha dji  wireless mic

2023-11-18
Use props
Fishycomics
Captain
United States

feel free to go back and fourth we're all here to help answer have a  noice day
2023-11-18
Use props
Aavis
Captain
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

DT0125 Posted at 11-18 04:59
I filmed this footage this morning, looks better

Nice topic like these walking videos

Especially OA4 and P3.
2023-11-18
Use props
osmonauta
Captain
Hungary

See, this one doesn't have those tiny jerkyness that is visible on your London video. I think that one had it because the 100fps was converted down to 50 by YT. And this 30fps looks quite decent.

I didn't catch what setting you switched to in the 2nd half (at 2:07).

You can also try switching to HorizonBalance (instead of RockSteady). That will keep it perfectly straigh (especially if you are wearing a neck mount) even if you tilt the camera by accident or the neck mount is not perfectly straight. It's not going to be as wide as RockSteady but still ok.

2023-11-18
Use props
DT0125
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I am going to head into London tomorrow to use these settings again and see if that can do a job at night as well.
2023-11-18
Use props
Iancraig10
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I’m afraid the stabilisation will most likely play up in low light. The shutter will slow down (even in auto) and those jitters will start up again.
2023-11-18
Use props
Fishycomics
Captain
United States

Iancraig10 Posted at 11-18 13:00
I’m afraid the stabilisation will most likely play up in low light. The shutter will slow down (even in auto) and those jitters will start up again.

yep I totally agree, t oavoid the jittters is to use  gimbal
2023-11-18
Use props
Iancraig10
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My neck strap arrived and I have to say, it’s a great piece of kit. It’s kind of a ‘dead weight’ material that’s very flexible so that it doesn’t move around that much and sits on your breat bone hust beneath your chin. Very effective at keeping pretty still, so I’m going to have a go at walking around with the Action 4 myself I think!

I think 'auto' would be best in this situation because you can't control the lighting changing or the camera settings on the move. I'll be using 60fps and horizon balance to keep it smooth and straight. If you can, button up your coat or zip up to the bottom of the camera and that might well help to keep it stiller.
2023-11-19
Use props
Fishycomics
Captain
United States

Iancraig10 Posted at 11-19 02:07
My neck strap arrived and I have to say, it’s a great piece of kit. It’s kind of a ‘dead weight’ material that’s very flexible so that it doesn’t move around that much and sits on your breat bone hust beneath your chin. Very effective at keeping pretty still, so I’m going to have a go at walking around with the Action 4 myself I think!

I think 'auto' would be best in this situation because you can't control the lighting changing or the camera settings on the move. I'll be using 60fps and horizon balance to keep it smooth and straight. If you can, button up your coat or zip up to the bottom of the camera and that might well help to keep it stiller.

remember to take off any other hanging things mine gets in the way its god but  Ialso keep in mind about getting caught  is it child safety....
2023-11-19
Use props
Iancraig10
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ha .....I’m certainly a big child. Don’t want to get found hanging from a branch! Thanks. ; )
2023-11-19
Use props
Fishycomics
Captain
United States

Iancraig10 Posted at 11-19 04:39
Ha .....I’m certainly a big child. Don’t want to get found hanging from a branch! Thanks. ; )

adult or not stupid stuff happs. can not wit to see a shot with it  we're staying tuned
2023-11-19
Use props
johansenfoto
Captain
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 11-19 02:07
My neck strap arrived and I have to say, it’s a great piece of kit. It’s kind of a ‘dead weight’ material that’s very flexible so that it doesn’t move around that much and sits on your breat bone hust beneath your chin. Very effective at keeping pretty still, so I’m going to have a go at walking around with the Action 4 myself I think!

I think 'auto' would be best in this situation because you can't control the lighting changing or the camera settings on the move. I'll be using 60fps and horizon balance to keep it smooth and straight. If you can, button up your coat or zip up to the bottom of the camera and that might well help to keep it stiller.

You bought DJI neck strap? I have Telesin that I use when plowing snow with my atv for POV. With winter jacket on it get a bit thight around my big neck so it is just under my chin.
2023-11-19
Use props
Iancraig10
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 11-19 14:22
You bought DJI neck strap? I have Telesin that I use when plowing snow with my atv for POV. With winter jacket on it get a bit thight around my big neck so it is just under my chin.

No, I got the Telesin. It is quite small so I can’t see the A4 screen for framing!
2023-11-19
Use props
johansenfoto
Captain
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 11-19 14:36
No, I got the Telesin. It is quite small so I can’t see the A4 screen for framing!

I know the feeling, but shoot in 4:3 ratio so you can adjust later in post. That's what I always do.
2023-11-19
Use props
osmonauta
Captain
Hungary

Iancraig10 Posted at 11-19 14:36

You can hook it to the Mimo and see it on the phone. But once you found the magic position you no longer need to adjust it. Unless you're walking up a steep hill. Or biking where you have to lean more forward. You can also attach the camera up side down this way you won't accidentally bite into it :-)
2023-11-19
Use props
Iancraig10
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 11-19 14:44
I know the feeling, but shoot in 4:3 ratio so you can adjust later in post. That's what I always do.

I never thought of that. Thanks.
2023-11-19
Use props
Iancraig10
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

osmonauta Posted at 11-19 19:12
You can hook it to the Mimo and see it on the phone. But once you found the magic position you no longer need to adjust it. Unless you're walking up a steep hill. Or biking where you have to lean more forward. You can also attach the camera up side down this way you won't accidentally bite into it :-)

Thanks didn’t think of Mimo.
2023-11-19
Use props
DT0125
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Other than having the frames set to 30fps when in the UK it should be 25 or 50, to stop the flickering, think this worked out okay having taken on comments here - 4k, 30fps and auto

Any comments are welcome for improvement. I have the DJI Wireless Mics in for the sound.
2023-11-20
Use props
Fishycomics
Captain
United States

did a nice job enjoyed the shots,  4k30 I wonder if that is Auto HDR
2023-11-20
Use props
Iancraig10
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If there are lights in the shot and you’re using 30fps, you have to go manual and set shutter to 1/50 or 1/100.

In UK, 50fps is best for this kind of thing.
2023-11-20
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules