Phantom 2 with GoPro Leg Modification
4105 6 2014-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
guymacdonald
lvl.4

Australia

Sacrificed a pair of Phantom 2 Vision legs by cutting off bases (see Pic).

Gives me a little more height and a tiny bit of width.

Small price to pay to keep the GoPro off the ground.

Going to try them a while and then maybe secure them with something better than cable ties.

Regards

Guy MacDonald

Phantom Legs Modification copy.jpg
2014-12-9
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

I've looked at a number of different ways to keep my cameras out of the grass and dirt, the leg extenders that go between the body and legs, the tall and wide replacement legs, etc.  While they do work the other problem they created was finding a case that would hold the phantom with the modification.  What I ended up with was these snap on leg extenders on Shapeways that will allow me to keep using the stock legs so I won't have to remount the compass and CAN-Bus and they will raise the Phantom up enough to keep the camera out of the ground.  This will also allow me to fit the Phantoms into most cases by simply snapping off the extenders when I'm ready to pack them away.  And since I have four different Phantoms I don't have to buy 4 different sets, I can just snap them on and off.

I'm going to get another set as soon as the designer updates his extender to fit on the newer v3 Phantom that has the compass molded into the leg.
2014-12-11
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

btw gang, kudos to capt bill for the pvc idea but i couldnt find that thread so im posting here.  the pvc works fantastic...

i wanted additional takeoff and landing clearance but didnt want to lose the ability for my two existing cases (one hard and one soft, but both requiring original landing skids). so i did capt bill's pvc idea, here is my results:

i cut 1/2" sections of 1.5" PVC. sanded the edges to avoid issues with gimbal wires. made a single slit through it. the tension of the ring with one slit holds it tight and the width of the pvc fits perfectly in the groove of the landing gear. the added bonus is that it takes seconds to install/uninstall and if i 'unclip' them (but instead of pulling them off i basically let them ring around the landing gear like rings on your finger, then they stay in place during transport and dont get in the way of the case. here is a pic in the 'transport' mode:

it has been working fantastic and i have basically the same landing footprint i had before.  thanks capt bill!  you rock dude.

2015-3-2
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-3-3 13:26
btw gang, kudos to capt bill for the pvc idea but i couldnt find that thread so im posting here.  th ...

Going to Home Depot this weekend to to pick up some PVC to try this....thanks!
2015-3-2
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

guy, because of that and aerodynamic issues i initially did only 1" PVC instead of 1.5".  i have both now and i use the 1" when i am going to be launching and landing on flat surface like concrete and i use the 1.5" when on grass or nonflat.  the center of gravity is not really higher because the rotorpixel is notably heavier than the original servo/gimbal and it is as low as you can get (which is the reason for needing the extensions to begin with).  those two things net to where the center of mass is either where it was before or even maybe a bit lower.  i have landed a handful of times with these on and never came even close to seeing tipping.
2015-3-3
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

gil@wk.net Posted at 2014-12-12 10:06
I've looked at a number of different ways to keep my cameras out of the grass and dirt, the leg exte ...

You might want to re-check on-line.  I saw a matching leg to what you have that fits over the compass leg.  I just don't remember the website.
2015-3-3
Use props
uR43GeZNQhm4
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules