newbie help with return home function
2132 17 2014-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mh
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi Guys and Girls

I am completely new to drones and have been playing around my my Phantom for the last couple of days in the garden but want to get fully up to scratch with the basic controls before i have a proper flight! My question relates to the Return Home feature I have the upgraded remote - the one with the rechargable battery in it and the camera control wheel on the side - and was wondering whether the return home function is activated by flicking the S2 switch down to the bottom position and then pulling back on the right hand stick? Am i right in thinking that when this is done, no matter which way the drone is facing it will fly back to my position as long as the GPS was active on take-off?

Thanks very much!
2014-12-10
Use props
thomaskim558
lvl.3
Flight distance : 865177 ft
South Korea

set S2 switch up. Then Phantom would be set in GPS mode and Return home function will be activated
2014-12-10
Use props
mh
lvl.2

United Kingdom

thomaskim558@gm Posted at 2014-12-10 19:33
set S2 switch up. Then Phantom would be set in GPS mode and Return home function will be activated

Thats great, thanks so much for replying!
2014-12-10
Use props
mh
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Sorry, just a quick additional question - how do i go about setting the S2 switch up, would the unit need to be in Naga mode to do that?

2014-12-10
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

I think the scenario you describe is true only if you have the Phantom configured in Naza-M mode with IOC turned on. What you're describing is Home Lock, which would be the full down position on the left switch (S2) and full back on the right stick. And it only works up to about 30 feet from you, then it goes to Course Lock.

With Return Home, the Phantom will fly back to the starting point and land without any control input at all. To activate it, if it hasn't activated itself from signal loss, you can just turn your transmitter off. You can regain control if you want by toggling the S1 switch down then back up.

Watch this video

2014-12-10
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

MH. What flight mode are you in, Phantom or NAZA ?

What you are describing in your OP is Home Lock, which is part of the NAZA modes IOC system.

To activate RTH - Phantom mode - Turn the transmitter off.
To activate RTH - NAZA mode - Turn the transmitter off or configure S1 for Failsafe.
2014-12-10
Use props
mh
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies. I am currently in Phantom mode as I am a complete beginner and have been put off Naza mode by all the warnings when I clicked it in the assistant! Guess I am just worried about launching it and not getting back but hopefully if the worst happens I can switch off and let the fail safye look after things.
2014-12-10
Use props
josephbobowicz
lvl.4

United Kingdom

mh@blackcatinve Posted at 2014-12-10 23:58
Hi guys, thanks for all the replies. I am currently in Phantom mode as I am a complete beginner and  ...

MH check this video out. It is a pretty good demonstration of the various features of being in NAZA mode: http://youtu.be/Prs7txS_NDA
2014-12-10
Use props
mh
lvl.2

United Kingdom

josephbobowicz@ Posted at 2014-12-11 00:11
MH check this video out. It is a pretty good demonstration of the various features of being in NAZ ...

Thank you, so its obvious that Naza is the way to go but would you recommend that i stay in Phantom mode while i am learning the ropes and simply switch off the controller to get it home if things go wrong, or go straight to Naza and learn to use it to its full potential from day one?
2014-12-10
Use props
ciprianboboc
lvl.2

United States

mh@blackcatinve Posted at 2014-12-11 00:29
Thank you, so its obvious that Naza is the way to go but would you recommend that i stay in Phanto ...

my suggestion is to learn and experiment with Naza mode; you'll probably still use the drone mainly in GPS mode, but in case of a flyaway or unpredicted situations (GPS issues, remote issues, panic for whatever reason, etc) - it's good to have the knowledge and experience for a quick recovery.
2014-12-10
Use props
mh
lvl.2

United Kingdom

OK, so i have switched to NAZA mode and set S1 to GPS/ATTI/FAILSAFE and the S2 to OFF/COURSELOCK/HOMELOCK. Am i right in thinking that all other settings remain automatic so i dont have to change anything else?

I am feeling confident....just have to remember which switch does what!
2014-12-10
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yes, now S1 will trigger return to home when you switch it down.  It takes about 15 seconds or so between the time you switch the switch to the time it actually starts the return.  I wanted to mention this so you didn't think it wasn't working when you try it.
2014-12-10
Use props
mh
lvl.2

United Kingdom

kenargo Posted at 2014-12-11 05:16
Yes, now S1 will trigger return to home when you switch it down.  It takes about 15 seconds or so be ...

Thanks for that - i would have been sprinting down the field thinking it wasnt working!
2014-12-10
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Don't feel bad; I suspect you wouldn't be the only one to have done the same; present company included
2014-12-10
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

mh@blackcatinve Posted at 2014-12-11 05:06
OK, so i have switched to NAZA mode and set S1 to GPS/ATTI/FAILSAFE and the S2 to OFF/COURSELOCK/HOM ...

Good! now try these setting out. Next time you fly, set both switches up.take the phantom away from you say about 50 metres- spin it say 90 degrees. Switch the s2 (LH) switch down to position 3- this is home lock and one of the most useful functions.  Then just pull back and hold the RH stick. Your bird will come home regardless of where it is pointing.  This is great if you are not sure what direction it is facing or even where it is!
2014-12-10
Use props
mh
lvl.2

United Kingdom

rod@voxvideopro Posted at 2014-12-11 06:34
Good! now try these setting out. Next time you fly, set both switches up.take the phantom away fro ...

Looking forward to trying her out once this darn wind dies down! Thanks for all the help and advice
2014-12-10
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

mh@blackcatinve Posted at 2014-12-11 06:38
Looking forward to trying her out once this darn wind dies down! Thanks for all the help and advic ...

Bear in mind that Home Lock will only bring the Phantom back to about 10 meters from the home point, at which time it will switch to Course Lock. Don't expect Home Lock to bring it all the way back to you.
2014-12-10
Use props
DJI-szz
lvl.1

China

Dear mh,
  hi, friend.
Glad to share some info.The copter will record your position automatically 30s
after turn on the copter while the GPS signal is active.
If you flick the S2 swicth down to the bottom position(function is locked for return home),
it will fly home unless the GPS signal is too bad for guiding.
2014-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules