79666 392 2015-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
duey101
lvl.2

Indonesia

Adamastor Posted at 2015-10-1 18:42
My feelings exactly.

My flights are normally longer than 3km in one direction, following a road,  ...

The overall issue is not addressed, bad pilots.  You can limit the thing to 50 meters flight in any direction, up, down, left, right, and some idiot can still hit a person with it, drop it down on a highway, or fly it into a crowd of people.  DJI needs to stop punishing experienced pilots.
2015-10-1
Use props
Adamastor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 616079 ft

South Africa

duey101 Posted at 2015-10-1 13:23
The overall issue is not addressed, bad pilots.  You can limit the thing to 50 meters flight in an ...

Yes, well I did not think of saying that out loud...

The upside is that I am sure I hold the record for the longest linear freehand flights with reimbursable results ;-)
2015-10-1
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha,

Recently, I got the new HDMI module from DJI for the P3 and with all the new developments, it has been hard to figure out if the module is better.  Today I was finally able to practice the IOC Waypoints option and just watch the screen during the playback missions and look for lag issues.  There would be maybe one jump every five to ten seconds instead of a jump every second or two like before.  Even behind trees, the video was much stronger.  The module is highly recommended.

The Waypoints lesson was interesting though.  It turns out that, like CourseLock, movement of the P3 in the flat plane is all right stick (Mode 2) ignoring yaw.  If you want to FPV and see where you are going, you have to use the yaw to adjust the camera, but you will remain in a CourseLock-like control situation.  It takes some getting used to.  The altitude changes will be making for some interesting videos.  The jungle and the mountains where I live do make for some challenge, like my spotter going, "Ahhh, are you trying to fly into that ridge there!"  I do have to get that CourseLock technique down a lot better, just to keep from ridge-running when I really do not want to, if you catch my drift.  

If you think about it though, using a CourseLock-like control mechanism allows the controller to better record and manage the flight path and turns so that the final mission file is way more simplified computer-wise.  I remember reading about a new GroundStation-like app that allowed you to enter what types of turns you wanted to do and so you had to write to each turn and that was a lot of writing.  With the CourseLock technique, once you get a handle on it, you just fly the turn you want with the right stick and then control the camera yaw and altitude with the left stick and the camera pitch with the pitch roller.  Two different ways of doing waypoints, but the DJI CourseLock technique is better in a "Seat-of-the-Pants" way as opposed to a desktop typing way.  But, some people like the typing approach.  I thought I was going to be like that, but now I see the method in the madness of DJI's approach to waypoints.  Instead of fighting DJI to get something they understand to be inferior to the "Seat of the Pants" approach, I am going to embrace the seat of the pants approach.  

As for those of you who want to type and write on a map, I am willing to guess, or suggest, that DJI has a plan for the simple editing of existing missions in the DJI Go Library or even a new tab.  Something easy like moving a waypoint over just a tad more or making a circle more circular.  How hard would that be to put in an update, not very.  But it would make a lot of customers happier and DJI wants to do that.  I hope some of you have noticed that all this drone business with firmware and apps is a work in progress.  DJI is going to use a long range approach to servicing, updating and upgrading their product.  Sure, we all want it done yesterday, but yesterday, there were no recreational drones.  So this is not a done deal by any stretch - it is just new territory.  Maybe I am just an old techie but patience . . . Hell! I will probably be dead before some of you will be happy with your products!  But, that is what drives the marketplace!

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-10-2
Use props
mtrout.com
New

Japan

That waypoint picture is VERY misleading... the drone would NOT fly around a mountain unless you make way points at each location to create an arc.   If you did the waypoints as indicated on that picture you would loose your bird!
2015-10-4
Use props
mtrout.com
New

Japan

mlanept@me.com Posted at 2015-9-8 19:54
On the Waypoints feature, do you really have to establish the waypoints via  flying to them or can y ...

yep. maps made easy has a reset waypoint setting for mapping... why cant dji?
2015-10-4
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

mtrout.com Posted at 2015-10-4 06:15
yep. maps made easy has a reset waypoint setting for mapping... why cant dji?

No one said we can not.  If you look at our waypoints on the Phantom 2 Vision + you have just that.  That is also true of our Data Link, 2.4gHz, 900mHz and 2.4gHz BT unit.  This is our implementation for the Go App.  There are many third party developers that are using our SDK to produce some amazing Apps for the Inspire, Matrice and Phantoms.  I don't know if we will change that implementation or not.  That is a HQ decision.
2015-10-4
Use props
mtrout.com
New

Japan

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-10-5 06:33
No one said we can not.  If you look at our waypoints on the Phantom 2 Vision + you have just that ...

just makes sense that all... set the waypoints and fly the mission. right? you guys are rolling in money no?
2015-10-4
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

mtrout.com Posted at 2015-10-4 20:55
just makes sense that all... set the waypoints and fly the mission. right? you guys are rolling in ...

I appreciate your opinion.  You have options if that is the type of waypoint that you want to fly.  Right now it has to do about safety.  
2015-10-4
Use props
joshua.smith
New

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-10-4 14:33
No one said we can not.  If you look at our waypoints on the Phantom 2 Vision + you have just that ...

Well Tahoe Ed that supposed HQ direction is just stupid and bad business. On the Phantom 3 page DJI should put a big disclaimer - "Phantom 3 is GIMPED vs the Phantom 2 Buyer beware!!" We bought ours solely because we were told it would be an improvement over the Phantom 2 with it's waypoints. You have effectively crippled it for many of the serious (ie. your real customers). I think we will be putting our birds up for sale and moving on to a better company.
2015-10-5
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

joshua.smith@i4 Posted at 2015-10-5 08:52
Well Tahoe Ed that supposed HQ direction is just stupid and bad business. On the Phantom 3 page DJ ...

That is your choice.  I am sorry that we cannot meet your needs.  
2015-10-5
Use props
flybirdy
New

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-10-5 08:55

You are correct. DJI is no longer the only game in town. DJI presents itself as a premium brand, but the Chinese is really starting to show through, sorry, I know Chinese & cultures and companies all to well. DJI is trying to resist but it is really showing.
2015-10-5
Use props
duey101
lvl.2

Indonesia

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-10-5 23:55

Actually you can meet our needs... you just don't.  Simple as that.
2015-10-5
Use props
duey101
lvl.2

Indonesia

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-10-5 23:55

Actually DJI can meet our needs Tahoe_Ed... they just CHOOSE not to.  Simple as that...

It is actually YOUR (DJI) choice to cripple the P3P that causes the issues, not our choices, so when you talk about choices you must realize it is YOUR choices as a company that offers the product which affects the customers, not the other way around.  

I absolutely LOVE the platform!  But the misleading advertising, limitations, and crippling of the device and its incredible capabilities is going to be the downfall of DJI, which is just an awful shame, really it is because the thing has such HUGE potential.

Pilots who know how to fly just don't like to be treated like 5 year old children.  Right now I am still keeping a positive attitude that these limitations will be lifted.  If in a few months they aren't and DJI keeps on with this wrong direction policy, well...

You can bet the new kid in town is just about to get off the bus.
2015-10-5
Use props
duey101
lvl.2

Indonesia

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-10-5 11:59
I appreciate your opinion.  You have options if that is the type of waypoint that you want to fly. ...

These limitations didn't exist on previous P2 models did they?  What about the safety concerns then?
2015-10-5
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

duey101 Posted at 2015-10-5 11:01
These limitations didn't exist on previous P2 models did they?  What about the safety concerns the ...

The P2 models have been discontinued as of January 1, 2015.  The P3 models, Inspire and Martice on the Go App are part of our current corporate direction.  Before that time we were not selling at Best Buy, WalMart, Sam's Club and Apple stores.  This brings in a entirely new group of users.  If they have to fly it first to set the waypoints then it is less likely that they will crash it into something or someone.  We can argue the merits of our approach or yours but at this point it is DJI's decision, not mine, not yours.  For experienced pilots there are options that will give you the features that you want and the cost is minimal.  
2015-10-5
Use props
k.kavelaars
lvl.2

Netherlands

I have downgrade the firmware till the one before the last, i do not use the features in the newest firmware because the are totaly not usefull, the rance of 500 meters is much to small to be usefull and olso the way you have to program the waypoints in mid air ?!   come on DJI you can do better then that? the drones are much to expensive to be limited like this?
at least let us be able to program the bird on the ground with your tablet the way my old PH2 could, now it seems to me with all these limitations it is no more than a expensive toy
2015-10-5
Use props
duey101
lvl.2

Indonesia

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-10-6 02:19
The P2 models have been discontinued as of January 1, 2015.  The P3 models, Inspire and Martice on ...

"For experienced pilots there are options that will give you the features that you want and the cost is minimal."  What are these options Ed?

The biggest mistake first time users or inexperienced pilots will make in WP flight is not setting the first WP directly overhead at say 25, 40, 50, 75 meters or whatever is safe to clear any objects between the HP and the first WP.  So the glide path will be on an angle from the HP to the first WP if not directly overhead and if anything is in the way, bang!  Down it goes.  This makes the 500 meter limit absolutely useless and null.

True, we could argue back and forth all day but the bottom line is bad pilots, the core issue.  You are correct Ed, it is the corporate decision makers choices, which are decisions that will drive people away.
2015-10-5
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Litchi, Maps Made Easy just to name two.  The users that use them are very happy especially if they need photogrametry for surveying.  You might want to explore them.  Yes you are right unfortunately we have to adjust to the lowest common denominator.  
2015-10-6
Use props
adriansmessages
lvl.1

United States

Czyka Posted at 2015-9-8 00:31
Wasn't there enough time for someone to write a manual describing how to implement these functions?

Check YouTube. Lots if help there. AWESOME new stuff!!!
2015-10-6
Use props
duey101
lvl.2

Indonesia

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-10-6 22:46
Litchi, Maps Made Easy just to name two.  The users that use them are very happy especially if they  ...

Litchi is Android only, I'm on iOS.  I didn't buy this bird so that I would have to shop around for a good app to use it, I expected to have a great app from DJI.  Actually I love the DJI Go app, but the fact it comes in a wheel chair is really frustrating.  Hopefully the crippling limits will be removed by DJI.  Thanks for your reply Ed.
2015-10-7
Use props
Daemon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 105955 ft
United States

Odd experience with Waypoints this evening, after having already tested Follow me and POI which both worked perfectly.
First attempt, set waypoint near home, then one 100m away, couple more to try to round out the turn, then back home for last one.
Set it running and it made it halfway between first waypoint and 2nd, stopped, turned 90 degrees and took off slowly facing in a direction and going to a location I had never been before.    It was completely outside the flying area when I cancelled it by exiting F-mode.
Landed, took off again, started over.   Tried = something simpler.
First waypoint 10m above home.    2nd 75m off one direction, 3rd 150m back directly the opposite way, 4th relatively close to home.   No change in altitude between waypoints.
Set it running.    From 10m up, It *immediately* started flying on a fast 45 degree descending course, right into the ground.   I managed to turn off F mode and goose the throttle right as it bounced off the ground hard.    It did not slow down even a tiny bit.   Battery was not low.  13-16 reported sats.  In all other modes, it holds altitude like it's glued to the sky.   
Thoughts?   
2015-10-11
Use props
Reevanth
lvl.1

India

DJI Inspire 1 "Follow Me" Autopilot:

2015-10-11
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

duey101 Posted at 2015-10-8 08:40
Litchi is Android only, I'm on iOS.  I didn't buy this bird so that I would have to shop around fo ...

With all due respect, given the level of negligence or lack of consideration by many new owners, I'm all for DJI designing it such that there is no way to set a waypoint into/onto a position that shouldn't be accessible. I've seen enough accidents from people who just fail to think things through, and I almost welcome DJI's conservative approach on this.

On a more constructive note, I recently purchased and used Autoflight Logic's Autopilot software. It offers some significant features above and beyond what DJI offers in DJI Go. I see it as a worthwhile investment for the videography I do, and move on with it. YMMV, but I'm not here to defend or vilify DJI. I'm here to find out how to get the most out of my P3P and i1s (I have two)
2015-10-13
Use props
duey101
lvl.2

Thailand

ghoonk Posted at 2015-10-13 19:26
With all due respect, given the level of negligence or lack of consideration by many new owners, I ...

Thanks ghoonk, I'll check that app.
2015-10-14
Use props
shemp
lvl.1

United States

Here we go again.  Tried the waypoint function again.  Only 4 waypoints.  First attempt was ok.  On the second attempt, as soon as it went active, it began a sharp descent, hitting a bucket, and breaking a prop.   Starting altitude was 5.5 m on the initial set up and when I tried to fly the mission.

This is the second time this has happened (out of probably 10)
2015-10-15
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

shemp Posted at 2015-10-16 00:53
Here we go again.  Tried the waypoint function again.  Only 4 waypoints.  First attempt was ok.  On  ...

What's the minimum height/distance for IOC to work correctly?
2015-10-17
Use props
medsubway
New

Colombia

tim.zoomy Posted at 2015-9-8 01:14
This video tells you how to use the features.  You have to put your controller in F mode.
https:// ...

Great video! Thanks a lot!
2015-12-30
Use props
gmezg
lvl.3

United States

So the P3 advance now records in 2.7K with the newest firmware update mentioned???
2016-4-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yeah, you can choose that format in the camera settings. Been there for several months already.

I can't believe I speed read 10 pages of discussion and friendly banter just to access your simple question, that doesn't even relate to the thread topic. Ha
Look in your Go app camera settings for all the available adjustable parameters.

RedHotPoker
2016-4-4
Use props
arock387
lvl.2

The P3A wasn't always a 2.7k?
2016-4-4
Use props
fansf14acd6d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1147835 ft
Canada

Comment mettre à jour phantom 3 standard
2016-12-30
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

arock387@gmail. Posted at 2016-4-4 17:38
The P3A wasn't always a 2.7k?

It always has been. Just like it is written all over the box.
2016-12-30
Use props
rebecca021
New

China

cFone Mobile Transfer, a powerful data transfer app, cannot only transfer data from phone to phone, but also backup data from Android to computer. You can backup all data or just selected files depending on your needs. This htc transfer tool supports not only HTC devices but also almost all mobile devices running Android OS.

Get htc transfer tool for your mobile!

https://www.cfone.net
2018-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules