Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Adamastor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 616079 ft

South Africa

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-9-14 05:58
Adamastor,

That is not the way it works.  When you have a wifi connection, turn your App and Tx o ...

Good day Tahoe_Ed

This is exactly my frustration.
I have done as you said - which is also what the manual says (like "cache in background) - which is also what I read on the forums.

In my case with iPAD Mini 2 WiFi, when I get to site I see only square blocks like "graph paper" and my flight records says "map loading" even after I get back to an area with proper WiFi. Even areas that displayed the correct location that I flew within WiFi range loses the location name and reverts back to "map loading".

Perhaps it is time for me to ditch the Inspire and move up to the S900 with GH4 sooner rather than later.  I need a airborne platform for the thermal imaging payload anyway.

;-)
2015-9-14
Use props
DreamingWatchma
lvl.2

Austria

GQ. Posted at 2015-9-14 00:41
Why do we need 2 GPS systems to make the P3 works is the question I am asking to myself and to the  ...

You don’t need 2 GPS devices.
In fact the Phantom does not need any GPS.

* In ATTI mode the Phantom flies without any problem without GPS.

* However, if you want your Phantom to return home in a case of emergency (e.g. lost signal) the Copter needs to have GPS. How should the Copter know where home is without GPS?

* And in “Follow me” mode you need a second GPS device so that the Copter knows where the person is, whom it should follow. How should the Copter follow you without knowing where you are?
2015-9-14
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

DreamingWatchma Posted at 2015-9-14 06:43
You don’t need 2 GPS devices.
In fact the Phantom does not need any GPS.

The copter and the remote control are linked together with radio frequency No .?
Look at this video. You will see the GPS inside the Phantom 3 bird.

The GPS signal from the bird is transmitted to the Radio Contol using radio frequency and the radio is linked to the tablet with the cable no ?
Maybe I am stupid. I just want to understand the concept properly from DJI.

Can DJI answer this question please ?

2015-9-14
Use props
DreamingWatchma
lvl.2

Austria

GQ. Posted at 2015-9-14 13:49
The copter and the remote control are linked together with radio frequency No .?
Look at this video ...

ghoonk already answered that question: No, there is no GPS in the RC of the Phantom.

I know there's GPS inside the Phantom.
Of course there is!
Nobody ever said anything different.
Everybody knows there's GPS in the Phantom!

But for ATTI mode you can turn it off and for RTH you need it.

However, the Phantom cannot find the RC using just the radio signal. One radio signal is not enough to find a location in 3 dimensions. That's just a technical fact.

Therefore you need a second GPS device. But you only need it for “Follow me”. If you don’t have a phone/tablet with GPS you cannot use “Follow me”. But you can use everything else.
So what are you complaining about?
2015-9-14
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

DreamingWatchma Posted at 2015-9-14 10:04
ghoonk already answered that question: No, there is no GPS in the RC of the Phantom.

I know there ...

I am not complaining at all. I just wish to understand all the concept. Sorry , english is not my first language.
Where I fly most of the time there is no cellular network available.

So I have to get the map where I plan to fly download in my iPad. My iPad is Wi Fi only.

The return home works perfect that way for me.

And if I have a cellular network available where I want to fly I just set my iPhone share connection with my iPad at it works perfect for follow me and so.
2015-9-14
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

GQ. Posted at 2015-9-14 02:29
So what is your suggestion Dave .

Never mind, I must have misunderstood your question. Sorry.
2015-9-14
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

GQ. Posted at 2015-9-14 07:39
I am not complaining at all. I just wish to understand all the concept. Sorry , english is not my f ...

Sounds like you are good now and your question was answered by DreamingWatchma.
2015-9-14
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-14 11:00
Sounds like you are good now and your question was answered by DreamingWatchma.

Thank you both of you.
2015-9-14
Use props
focus
New

Greece

For the all Intelligent Flight Modes the tablet or the iPad must have its own function GPS or not?
2015-9-14
Use props
fredsheldon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29193 ft
United States

I hope someone here can answer my question. When in follow me mode does the P3 maintain a set altitude while the RC travels either uphill or downhill or will it adjust it's altitude to maintain the same height above the RC as it travels up or down a mountain road. Thanks in advance for your forthcoming answers
2015-9-14
Use props
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

Here is what i just did today.. Found out the Litchi still works same way on P3 then it does on 2 series. I preplanned this flight at home, drove to the site and launched. Everything worked the same as the P2 series. Im going to test follow me this weekend using this app.
2015-9-14
Use props
Mr.buGSy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 820712 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

GQ. Posted at 2015-9-14 16:39
I am not complaining at all. I just wish to understand all the concept. Sorry , english is not my f ...

Might I add that you would also need the second GPS for dynamic home point usage. Meaning you could take off from one point and change your home point if the need should arise. Just saying for those who don't already know this functionality.  
2015-9-14
Use props
Mr.buGSy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 820712 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Just a though for those who complain about altitude restrictions. Why would want to fly more that the 500m limit altitude? Yes you could take of from a hill and fly well above the limits, but then you need to use your common sense. Just because you can doesn't men you should. DJI has done a great job with the lastest firmwares. It helped me save my P3P from a certain crash. Any other copter would have fallen smack to the ground. Just watch my "church tower crash" video and you'll see. Some say it was pure luck, I say it was DJI ingenuity.
2015-9-14
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

[I assume you want this question asked in this (currently) sticky thread. Let me know if I should start a new thread]

Have the firmware updated and having using the IOC features for a few days, but I can't get Follow Me to work, even though the other modes do. I have the left at F, the bird is flying, it's above 10 meters (and certainly below 200), but it isn't following.

Note that I'm just walking right now, but I've gone a couple hundred feet.

Can anyone guess what I'm doing wrong?
2015-9-14
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2015-9-15 08:04
Have the firmware updated and having using the IOC features for a few days, but I can't get Follow ...

GPS signal on your mobile device is weak. I recommend you to turn on location services on your device and find a spot with less interference
2015-9-14
Use props
mdl5299
New

United States

kleake1@gmail.c Posted at 2015-9-11 23:52
I think speed limitations in these new settings is one of the biggest complaints that I have.  In wa ...

DJI-Dave: please take note. These speed limitations are not necessary on a $1300 "professional" item. I have been a huge fan of the P3 until recently. It seems the recent firmware upgrades have added limitations. The warmup period on the craft also is a pain, when before I could start up and go. Hopefully DJI can listen to their customers. As soon as there is a product on the market with these features without the limitations, I'll be switching away from DJI.
2015-9-14
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-9-14 18:28
GPS signal on your mobile device is weak. I recommend you to turn on location services on your dev ...

That tracks. When it wouldn't connect, it complained about weak GPS signal. When it would connect, it would disconnect a few seconds later.

Other times, it would tell me that it had a mission conflict.

At any rate, I'll try location services on my device (iPad Air 2) tomorrow.
2015-9-14
Use props
Phuglie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-8 06:35
yeah, sorry
The manual should be coming soon.

Hi Dave, I know you're busy actively supporting us on these forums - (BIG THANK YOU), but I just have to ask how close is the updated manual with the new features? And can we have 2K on the P3pro camera too at 50/60 frames?
Thanks again,
2015-9-15
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

GQ. Posted at 2015-9-14 18:39

GPS information from the phone isn't handed over to the tethered device, which in your case, is the iPad Mini WiFi. I learned that the hard way as I also have an iPad Mini 3 WiFi.

Here's what I know

- The iPad Mini Wifi does not have GPS hardware. When I am on the go, iPad mini 3 tethered to my iPhone, Google Maps isn't able to lock in on my location the way it does on my iPhone.

- There is a GPS receiver in the DJI Inspire 1. This is mentioned on Page 15 of the DJI Inspire 1 user manual v1.4. The Inspire 1 supports Dynamic Home Point. I do not know if the Inspire 1 will require the tablet/phone to have GPS hardware to use Follow Me, but I will test and report it if no one from DJI confirms this.

- Page 12, 13 and 14 of the DJI Phantom 3 Pro/Adv user guide v1.4 do not mention a Dynamic Home Point nor any mention of GPS hardware on the RC. As such, I am inclined to believe that there is no GPS receiver on the Phantom 3 Pro/Adv RC. This leads me to believe that the Follow Me function requires the tablet/phone to have a GPS receiver
2015-9-15
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

mdl5299 Posted at 2015-9-15 06:24
DJI-Dave: please take note. These speed limitations are not necessary on a $1300 "professional" it ...

What kind of warmup periods are you getting from your P3P? Mine is ready to fly in P-GPS in under a minute from powering up the battery. I fly in Dubai and Singapore.
2015-9-15
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

focus Posted at 2015-9-14 21:40
For the all Intelligent Flight Modes the tablet or the iPad must have its own function GPS or not?

I believe this is specific to Follow Me, based on the following logic:

1. Follow Me requires the Home Point to be dynamically updated, i.e. every second (?)
2. POI does not - you fly to where you want the POI is (regardless of Home Point), mark the POI as the center of the flight circle, set radius, etc - this uses the GPS on the aircraft and isn't dynamic
3. Home Lock uses the Home Point. The P3P does not have Dynamic Home Point, so it will always use the launch coordinates as the Home Point. This might be different for the Inspire 1 as the Inspire 1 supports Dynamic Home Points
4. Course Lock doesn't use GPS. It uses compass to establish bearing.
5. Zip Line probably uses the GPS on the aircraft - fly to and mark point 1, then fly to point 2 and mark, then execute

I could be wrong, but this is my understanding of how the IOC functions work, and why they work that way.
2015-9-15
Use props
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

This is my test of the Go Home yesterday using the Go App. Screen was recorded off my tablet. Im using a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. Wi fi only. GPS works good with it. At start up you have to go to the recomended altitude to start. Once started, you can lower the Altitude and distance at any time just my moving the sticks and it will remember that setting. I started out at 55ft and at end, it was folowing me at 17ft off ground and less then 10 ft away. if you walk towards the phantom, it will move away automatically to keep the set distance like i described in the video.
2015-9-15
Use props
UAV!Drone
New

United States

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2015-9-15 08:04
Have the firmware updated and having using the IOC features for a few days, but I can't get Follow ...

Got the same problem here with my IpadAir2 wifi only, when I initiated Follow me, it turned 90 degree Clockwise  (looking from the bottom) and it won't follow. But using my Iphone works great. Then tried to use Ipadair2 again and this time the Ipad connected to my Iphone, it still didn't work, same thing, it rotated 90 degree clockwise and did not follow, just hover up there.
2015-9-15
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

UAV!Drone Posted at 2015-9-15 16:33
Got the same problem here with my IpadAir2 wifi only, when I initiated Follow me, it turned 90 deg ...

Here are some of my findings on GPS, IFM. Hope it helps
2015-9-15
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Phuglie Posted at 2015-9-15 01:13
Hi Dave, I know you're busy actively supporting us on these forums - (BIG THANK YOU), but I just h ...

Unfortunately the new user manual has not come out yet. Should be soon.

I can request the video resolution you're looking for in the P3P.
2015-9-15
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

focus Posted at 2015-9-14 10:40

Only for "follow me"
2015-9-15
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

fredsheldon@aol Posted at 2015-9-14 10:56
I hope someone here can answer my question. When in follow me mode does the P3 maintain a set altitu ...

Yes it will maintain a certain altitude that you set. Please be aware however that the barometer has a tolerance so the altitude will be give or take a few feet.
2015-9-15
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Kilted Flyer (D Posted at 2015-9-14 13:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zr8eq9mLyg
Here is what i just did today.. Found out the Litchi sti ...

Looks good, I will have to try this app.
2015-9-15
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

mdl5299 Posted at 2015-9-14 19:24
DJI-Dave: please take note. These speed limitations are not necessary on a $1300 "professional" it ...

I understand your frustration and I am sorry to hear this.
You should not be having a very long wait for warm-up. They lock-in or warm up extremely fast. You should've seen how long it took for a P1 or a 450 or 550 with a Naza system to lock-in.
2015-9-15
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

ghoonk Posted at 2015-9-15 01:26
GPS information from the phone isn't handed over to the tethered device, which in your case, is th ...

Thanks for the help and the information you're providing here.

Unfortunately you will not be able to test Follow Me on the Inspire1 because that feature is not enabled right now. It is only enabled on the Phantom3.
2015-9-15
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-15 20:41
Thanks for the help and the information you're providing here.

Unfortunately you will not be ab ...

Good point. I keep forgetting because I'm using Autopilot.

Wait. Follow Me is coming for the i1?
2015-9-15
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

ghoonk Posted at 2015-9-15 09:47
Good point. I keep forgetting because I'm using Autopilot.

Wait. Follow Me is coming for the i1?  ...

I hope so, but I do not know for sure.
2015-9-15
Use props
Phuglie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-15 17:20
Unfortunately the new user manual has not come out yet. Should be soon.

I can request the video r ...

Oh, yes please. That would be great! You're such an asset - I hope DJI appreciate you as much as we do.
2015-9-15
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-9-14 18:28
GPS signal on your mobile device is weak. I recommend you to turn on location services on your dev ...

Now I know that the problem is that my device has no GPS at all.

So the confusion came from the error message in the Go app, which should specifically call out that it's looking for GPS signal from the device. Just saying "GPS signal too weak" is a head scratcher for someone thinking satellite to RC and looking at full bars in the app.

My feature request would be to change the message to say "GPS signal from device too weak" or better yet, "GPS signal from device does not exist".
2015-9-15
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Phuglie Posted at 2015-9-15 10:59
Oh, yes please. That would be great! You're such an asset - I hope DJI appreciate you as much as w ...

Thanks
2015-9-15
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2015-9-15 11:01
Now I know that the problem is that my device has no GPS at all.

So the confusion came from the e ...

Good idea!
2015-9-15
Use props
shemp
lvl.1

United States

Problem today with Nav mode.  I flew about a dozen waypoint missions, all the same route.  I was experimenting with the 3 options.  On one of the starts, as soon as I hit the apply button and it finished its calculations, my I1 began a quick descent from about 10 feet and touched down with the gear up.  Luckily I was over soft grass so I don't think any damage was done.  What I don't get is why it did this on only one mission.

Couple other questions came up.

1.  I couldn't come up with a firm grasp on what the difference was between modes.  
2.  Will it start recording as soon as the mission begins?
3.  When will it stop recording?  You cant see the recording options while the nav mode is up.  I didn't want to hide it since I couldn't figure out how to bring it back to cancel.  Keep in my mind my previous experience with the rapid descent.  I wanted to be able to cancel quickly.

Sure would be nice to have some thorough directions!!!

2015-9-15
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

shemp Posted at 2015-9-16 11:39
Problem today with Nav mode.  I flew about a dozen waypoint missions, all the same route.  I was exp ...

1.i'll send a short video soon about the difference between the modes.
2. It won't . You have to press record button yourself.
3.you can stop recording whenever you want during the mission. when you hide this menu, and do your camera settings and go back to it by pressing button on the left side of aircraft status or just switch back to P-mode to cancel everything and hover.
2015-9-15
Use props
Adamastor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 616079 ft

South Africa

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-9-14 05:58
Adamastor,

That is not the way it works.  When you have a wifi connection, turn your App and Tx o ...

I think I figured it out.

Must still experiment a little more, but it looks promising.
I must also learn that patience is a virtue ;-)

But I will still keep Here Maps to guide me to my remote site even in off-line mode... ;-)
2015-9-15
Use props
shemp
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-9-16 01:17
1.i'll send a short video soon about the difference between the modes.
2. It won't . You have to p ...

Any thoughts on my "forced landing".  Since this happened, I noticed my video cache is not as good???
2015-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules