Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
HOW TO: Setup and use Waypoints
12Next >
111519 47 2015-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
InspireHelp
lvl.1

United States

Follow the steps below to setup and use the Waypoints feature in the DJI GO app. If you have additional tips or information below, please comment below.

Note: In order to create a waypoint mission, you must actually fly to each waypoint and manually mark those locations. Your Inspire will then be able to recall that mission and automatically fly it. The steps below will guide you through this process.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Launch the Waypoints feature.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Your Inspire needs to be started and in the air before you'll be able to access the Waypoints feature in the DJI GO app. Start your Inspire, take off, and hover at the location you'd like to set as the first waypoint in your mission.

2) Flip the PAF switch to the "F" position to access the IOC features. If Multiple Flight Mode is not enabled, you're going to see the following prompt:

If you see the above prompt, click the "OK" button to enable Multiple Flight Mode.

3) Select "Waypoints" from the IOC menu.

4) You might be prompted to verify your RTH Altitude setting. If so, ensure the altitude is set higher than all obstacles in your location. This will ensure that you do not accidentally crash into an obstacle if RTH initiates and your Inspire tries to return to the home point.

Mark the waypoints on the map.

Note: Skip to step #20 below if you want to load a previously flown waypoint mission.

5) Click the "New Mission" button to create a new waypoint mission.

6) A new menu will appear on the right side of the DJI GO app. Use this menu to mark the waypoints on the map.

The "Waypoints" count will show the number of waypoints on the map. It'll start at 0 and count up each time you fly your Inspire to a new location and add a new waypoint.

The "Total Distance" shows you the total distance your Inspire will travel as it flies to all of the waypoints in your mission.

7) Fly to each location where you'd like to add a new waypoint to the map and click the "Record" button. You can also press the C1 button on your remote controller to mark a new waypoint.

Note: Waypoints store the location, altitude, and direction the Inspire is facing. Make sure you descend or ascend to the desired altitude before marking each waypoint. Each waypoint can be set to a different altitude.

Click the "Delete" button to remove the last added waypoint from the map. You can also press the C2 button on your remote controller to remove the waypoint.

8) Click the "Done" button when you're done adding waypoints. Your mission should look something like this:

Configure the Waypoint settings.

9) A new menu will appear showing you settings to configure the heading, speed, and action to perform when the mission has completed.

10) In the "Head to" selection, choose the direction your Inspire should point as it travels to each waypoint. You have the following choices:

Consistent with Record: Point your Inspire in the direction it was facing when you recorded the waypoint.
Consistent with Route: Point your Inspire toward the waypoint it's flying to.
Free: Allows you to yaw and turn your Inspire in any direction as it travels to each waypoint.

11) Choose what should happen when your Inspire completes the mission. You have the following choices:

Hover: Your Inspire will hover at the location of the last waypoint.
Return to Home: Your Inspire will return to the home point.

12) Set the speed at which your Inspire should fly as it travels from waypoint to waypoint.

13) Click the "Apply" button to save your settings, send the mission details to your Inspire, and start the mission.

Important: Your Inspire will automatically fly to the location and altitude of the first waypoint before starting the mission. So, make sure there are no obstacles between its current location and the first waypoint.

Make adjustments as your Inspire flies its mission

14) A new menu will appear on the right side of the DJI GO app to allow you to control your Inspire as it travels on its mission.

15) Click the "Pause" button to make your Inspire stop at its current location and wait for further direction from you. Unpause to continue on with the mission.

16) The "Distance" value shows how far away your Inspire is from the home point. The is the distance in a straight line between the Inspire's current location and the home point.

17) As your Inspire is traveling the mission, you can adjust the speed slider to increase/decrease the speed. The speed value with change in real-time as you make this adjustment. Your Inspire will also start traveling at the new speed as you increase/decrease it.

18) Click the "Exit" button to stop the mission and exit the Waypoint function. You can also exit by flipping the PAF switch back to the "P" position.

Fly the same waypoint mission again.

19) After creating a waypoint mission, you can fly the same mission again by clicking the "Favorite Missions" button.

20) Select the mission you'd like to fly from the menu on the left and click the "Apply" button.

www.InspireHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Inspire.
Inspires in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)

2015-9-7
Use props
Linolens
Second Officer
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

Fantastic.
DJI should had done that.
Nonetheless...fantastic.
2015-9-7
Use props
houston
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

Absolutely they should have done that. Agreed 100% Linolens. THANK YOU inspireHELP for documenting what should have been done by DJI.I wonder why they didn't make it to where you could just put waypoints using your map on the app. just tapping and entering altitude. Now I have to waste battery power doing this. But, I guess i should be happy that they threw us a bone.
2015-9-7
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

Thanks for the help InspireHelp!

2015-9-7
Use props
pepijnaben
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1383189 ft
Netherlands

Very clear ! I guess this is the same for the Phantom 3-A and P.
2015-9-7
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

pepijnaben@gmai Posted at 2015-9-7 23:37
Very clear ! I guess this is the same for the Phantom 3-A and P.

Yes. Same for the Phantom3 Professional , Advanced, and Standard.
2015-9-7
Use props
ch.raymond
New

France

Yeah cool stuff !!! But can you set the waypoints on the iPad? If we can only record them flying point, I do not see the interest of this option ...
2015-9-8
Use props
skyvideoct
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1136230 ft
United States

Thank you InspireHelp. Through all of these weeds, there lies a gem. It WILL take some work/practice to get used to these functions, BUT you can bet that the 3rd party devs are just waiting for this firmware to load so they can make it easy for those that don't want to put in the work to get the most out of their ACs. I tested on my P3P yesterday and while I was amused, there was a definite AhHah moment where I realized that Pix4D will be all over this in a flash. I was also pretty impressed wit the smoothness of the video in the test of the PoI feature. That's another capture mode for Pix4D modeling and I can see all of the stars are aligning SOON.
2015-9-8
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Thanks for the guide Inspirehelp!
Upgraded and had a go today - yes the inspire goes where it is directed, but I honestly don't think that much of this as a solution.
Without the ability to task the Inspire to take an action at or between waypoints, it's fairly pointless. Easier and faster just to fly 2 person.

Was expecting much more from their April promise of:
"Plan and execute autonomous flight paths by telling your Inspire 1 where to go and what to do at up to 100 points on a map."

No map and no tasking.
2015-9-8
Use props
jones5r
Second Officer
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

I love my Inspire as a flying platform, but If I would've known back in November 2014 that the whole Phantom line was receiving the exact same functionality as the Inspire , I wouldn't have laid down $3000. I am disappointed with this half baked release, but what is more frustrating to me is that I thought I was buying hands down an all in one professional solution, but it's only a notch better than the Phantom series. What separates the two other than the price? The ability to raise the legs and pan the camera? Is that worth an extra $1700. I don't know, maybe it is to some. Ultimately this was a brilliant marketing move by DJI, Release the Inspire first, with all of these built in features (Lightbridge, VPS, GS functionality, ...) and then turn around with a huge three city Phantom release like they where going to introduce a brand spanking new Phantom design. All we got was the same old Phantom design with the same feature set as the supposed professional Inspire. Seems like they stole the playbook from another popular tech company.
2015-9-8
Use props
Hexakt
New

France

In your opinion, how long it will take a conpétant engineer to add the option to place the waypoint with the finger on the tablet, given that the function being there for 3 years on the groud station?

I think rather a voluntary clamping.

I think we should react fast because the drone bebop (a 500 dollar toy) and the solo 3dr do since their launch ...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB0QtwIwAGoVChMI0IuXlb3pxwIVQlYUCh2ZpAlp&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNd1_OVBiyWg&usg=AFQjCNHUcx3m1GWi6QMngvurUH2yxeRqbA&sig2=0aFUHcpUMi5apnle2UgX8Q&bvm=bv.102022582,d.d24
2015-9-8
Use props
jaharrell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 15417 ft
United States

Thank you for taking the time to make these instructions. I tried to go to your web site but my antivirus software alerted me that your site “exhibited one or more risky behaviors” .
2015-9-9
Use props
Arie Klapwijk
New

Netherlands

Thank you. perfect manual !!!
2015-9-9
Use props
GB44
Captain
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Who is Inspire Help.  
Is this a authorised dealer of DJI ?  
Is it a subsidiary of DJI itself ?  
or just someone posing to be from DJI ?

Lets have some clarity here on the forum.  Change the Avatar and user name as it seems to suggest some connection with DJI and if I am correct this user has no connection to DJI whatsoever.

That aside, detailed instruction of any new release and new function should be coming direct from DJI and not being presented form a source that may not be trustworthy.
2015-9-9
Use props
GB44
Captain
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-9-9 15:31
> ...or just someone posing to be from DJI ?

... or someone who hadn't anticipated that there wou ...

The problem here Paul is that Inspire Help is also using a link to his own site for further information etc.

If he is not a DJI authorised dealer, or representative the avatar needs to be changed and the user name.  Ed and other moderators on the forum have requested others to  change DJI avatars for the exact same reason in the past.

He is obviously trying to help, but newbies to the site need to know that he has no connection with DJI and at the moment the avatar even made me think twice that he may have some connection to DJI.
2015-9-9
Use props
brad.staff
lvl.1
Australia

I tried the waypoint feature out today. I found that by the time I flew the course to set the waypoints, my battery was empty and I had to go home without actually having flown the course yet

Do you even think these things through DJI?

What I have worked out is that at home before I leave, I can use the Simulator feature of the pilot app to plot and save a course of waypoints, and then go out to the field and fly it. It still uses battery life to define the course at home but at least I can charge my battery after I do it, then head out to the field and fly the waypoint course with a full battery. The only annoying thing about that is that when defining the waypoints in simulator mode the map can't be viewed in full screen
2015-9-10
Use props
brad.staff
lvl.1
Australia

What is the PC sim?
2015-9-10
Use props
george.latherow
lvl.1
Flight distance : 383970 ft
Spain

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-9-11 01:00
http://forum.dji.com/thread-23884-1-1.html

You will need a USB lead stuffed up your bird's tail,  ...

Great info!   thanks for that!

DJI are a bunch of lazy twats.   This is a good example.

As well, why would I want to fly to all the way points to mark them and then fly them again???  

Waste of time and battery power.

It makes more sense to set way-points on the map first then let the drone fly it!  or not!?!?!?
2015-9-11
Use props
george.latherow
lvl.1
Flight distance : 383970 ft
Spain

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-9-11 20:40
In some ways, yes...
In other ways, I think the ability to mark a place on the map based on the ai ...

I agree with you Paul.
2015-9-12
Use props
tpallai
Second Officer

United States

When it flies he mission, does the inspire follow the EXACT path that you took when setting each waypoint, or does it fly in a straight line regardless of the flight path you took when setting up waypoints?
Example: You mark waypoint A. On your way to waypoint B you fly up down up down, will the Inspire follow that same path when autonomously performing the mission?
2015-9-12
Use props
InspireHelp
lvl.1

United States

tpallai Posted at 2015-9-12 21:51
When it flies he mission, does the inspire follow the EXACT path that you took when setting each way ...

Your Inspire will not follow the path you flew when recording the waypoints. It'll fly directly from waypoint to waypoint.

www.InspireHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Inspire.
2015-9-13
Use props
MGS
lvl.1
Flight distance : 856650 ft

United States

tpallai Posted at 2015-9-12 21:51
When it flies he mission, does the inspire follow the EXACT path that you took when setting each way ...

Is there a limit to how many waypoints can be set per flight?
2015-9-14
Use props
InspireHelp
lvl.1

United States

MGS Posted at 2015-9-14 20:35
Is there a limit to how many waypoints can be set per flight?

You can add up to 99 waypoints per mission.

www.InspireHelp.com
2015-9-14
Use props
MGS
lvl.1
Flight distance : 856650 ft

United States

InspireHelp Posted at 2015-9-14 20:48
You can add up to 99 waypoints per mission.

Perfect.  Thank you
2015-9-14
Use props
rfortunato
New
Flight distance : 97283 ft
  • >>>
United States

MGS Posted at 2015-9-14 22:04
Perfect.  Thank you

Thanks - this has been a helpful discussion. We're trying out the Waypoint feature, and sorry if I didn't catch this info before: Once you've planned all the waypoints/transects, then fly the mission... can the drone be set to automatically take still images, or do you have to perform this manually throughout the flight?
2015-12-2
Use props
dm.wood
lvl.1
Flight distance : 258957 ft
United Kingdom

houston Posted at 2015-9-8 04:38
Absolutely they should have done that. Agreed 100% Linolens. THANK YOU inspireHELP for documenting w ...

Think about it... They make you fly it first from a safety standpoint. Picking waypoints on a map is hardly a suitable substitute for flying the route first to make sure you are clear of any structures and at a suitable altitude to avoid natural features such as hills and trees etc. You will never see that kind of information on a top down map.
2016-1-18
Use props
Harb
lvl.4

Australia

I think the time we live in dictates the pre mapping feature.......From what I can deduce, DJI is doing what they can to keep their product "politically correct" for anyone to own in an effort to protect sales etc.
if left totally "user decides", I would imagine all sorts of drop kicks would be using these things for sinister purposes from remote locations, so I can understand it to a reasonable degree.......Tech is great for those of  us that use it for peaceful things.........the minority sucks.
2016-2-15
Use props
ez0es
New
United States

Can you save the way points so that if you leave and come back to the destination it will be the exact same route?
2016-2-18
Use props
Cengiz
New
Flight distance : 480049 ft
Turkey

Does the system remember the mission if I land, change the inspire battery and take off again?
I have a project where I need to be able to fly to the same exact spot, hover in a GPS hold for the duration of the battery, land, change battery and return to the exact same spot, and on and on... Can the inspire or Phantom 3 professional do this?
2016-2-19
Use props
umpdata
New

United States

Slightly different question.  I am looking to put in 25 mission waypoints (position 1 -----> position 2; is one mission, so 25 of those) and found out after trying to make all 25 of them that only the 3 most recent are saved   Is there a way to save 25 mission waypoints?? I tried the ground station app and am unable to get it to communicate with the other tablet/controller/quadracopter.  Can anyone help me PLEASEEE!! Keep hitting dead ends, heres my specs:

Phantom 3 Advanced
Android Tablet --dji app
Ipad Mini 3 -- ground station app

2016-5-9
Use props
ronchard
lvl.1
Flight distance : 118550 ft
Australia

Harb Posted at 2016-2-16 11:16
I think the time we live in dictates the pre mapping feature.......From what I can deduce, DJI is do ...

Well said , mr Harb  
2016-6-4
Use props
richard00
New
Flight distance : 235282 ft
United States

Thanks for the tutorial. Very helpful. The Phantom 3 4K and DJI Go app works the same, screens are very slightly different.

The payoff of this is to plot out a mission, then come back to fly it again when the light is exactly right, the fall foliage is beautiful. I totally get it, including the rationale of picking waypoints by flying the aircraft there rather than pointing on a map (error prone).

Question: How to save the mission permanently, give it a good name. I want to setup missions for each of 18 golf holes, then come back one day when the light and conditions are exactly right.
2016-7-1
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

Personally, I find the waypoints feature invaluable. As a lone operator, I can set a course concentrating on exactly where I want the bird to go. Set alot of points. They only need to be 5m apart, and you can set 99 on a mission. The more dots to connect, the smoother the course. If you want to fly a circle, set plenty of points along the way and the repeat will be more circular.
Then, on re-flying the mission, I can concentrate soley on operation of the camera and gimbal.

I, for one, think it makes perfect sense to fly it first to set the points. I can imagine if I set the course soley from a map the ac would be flying into all sorts of obstacles. Tree limbs, power lines, you name it.

A simple change of altitude can be recorded as a waypoint. If you want to stop and hover during the mission, you can pause the itinerarry at any time, hover, then resume when ready. You can also abort at any time.

You can fly the mission, or part of it, then land, change battery and restart. (It will not resume the mission part way through though.)

I feel sorry for anyone flying with only one battery! Tease yourself!!
I have 5 and for me that works. I usually use 3-4 on a shoot, then return home and put them all in my smart power charger to all charge at the same time.

I am coming up on a new construction project and will set 2 or 3 different missions and fly them repeatedly as the building goes up. Then I can edit a time lapse type video showing the project from start to completion.
2016-7-1
Use props
droneracenewb
New

United States

Is there any way to set the way points without flying the course? Like you can do with the Litchi App, by just touching the map where you want a way point to be.
2016-8-1
Use props
Machoman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

droneracenewb Posted at 2016-8-2 05:22
Is there any way to set the way points without flying the course? Like you can do with the Litchi Ap ...

Not with DJI limited software - even if you could I think it has a 5 m/s speed limit also............DJI GO looks nice but actually its for the garbage just a pity that you still need it for some configurations as 3rd party apps neglected this so you cannot set a free camera in the uncensored version of Litchi and when they will finally add this configuration you will end up with a geofenced, channel limited and shreddered app.
2016-8-2
Use props
droneracenewb
New

United States

With that in mind, is there a better app than the Litchi App that will allow me to set way points with a touch to the map? Thats the main feature I'm looking but I don't know very much about the 3rd party apps. Thank you for the info.
2016-8-2
Use props
Machoman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

droneracenewb Posted at 2016-8-3 01:37
With that in mind, is there a better app than the Litchi App that will allow me to set way points wi ...

Hard to say. Litchi does not know AGL or allow easy conversion. You can import KML but its too time consuming and with a doubtable result if you live in an area with poor google maps accuracy.

Ultimate flight knows AGL but I dont like that it doesnt show me the curved paths.

UgCS would be a much better software but much too complicated to work with it. You take endless to set up a mission and actually I was unable to get the plane to the mission coordinates in their simulator.

If you have Apple there are others to choose from which I basically all consider better.

However one of the biggest problems is that different software versions work with different firmware versions and newer Inspire firmware if full of limits and downgrades and restrictions.

I have to test tomorrow if I actually can still fly below zero waypoints - if not I will return if to my dealer and sue for a full refund. In EU countries this will work its not allowed to disable features in firmware without any notice and without the possibility to roll back. If they cut features they must at least warn you what you loose if you install their firmware "upgrades".
2016-8-2
Use props
droneracenewb
New

United States

Thank you for the info. I do run Apple so I'll go into the App Store and do a little research. Thanks again.
2016-8-2
Use props
Larr2000
lvl.1
Flight distance : 834364 ft
United States

jones5r Posted at 2015-9-8 07:27
I love my Inspire as a flying platform, but If I would've known back in November 2014 that the whol ...

Hi jones5r,
I agree with your initial statement, had I known the Phantom series was just a notch better, I too would have gone for the Phantom.  But as it is, I went for the Inspire and here is a point that makes my decision more worth while  On the Inspire I now have 4 different cameras (FLIR, Zenmuse X3, Zenmuse X5 and Zenmuse X5r) I can fly.  OK, yes I do have to install and upgrade the gimbal, but it was easy and work the $99.  And I have interchangeable lenses and now Zoom.  I think the Inspire is still a great photography platform.
2016-9-30
Use props
Larr2000
lvl.1
Flight distance : 834364 ft
United States

Hey Guys,
Your Waypoint presentation is the BEST I have seen out there and the graphics tell the story.  With the new 3.0 version of the app, you will see some slight changes, but all-in-all.......Great job!  

For the future can you add 2 controller (camera and Master) to the Waypoints and POI?  I have been doing a lot of practicing in both formats, trying to get my camera moves down and any tips you might have will be appreciated.
2016-9-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules