Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How are you inspire boys liking Ground Station?
2470 29 2015-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Second Officer

United States

But instead you get "waypoints".   A watered down version of the original Ground station app.  Must be disappointing to have been promised ground station at launch just to receive this 8 months later.    So, DJI,  why can't you make the dedicated ground station app compatible with the inspire and phantom 3?   What's the point of having to pre fly all the waypoints?  Why is the speed of the waypoints so limited?   500m limit...LOL!

Are you guys loving the new "waypoints". Or feel you got robbed?   I'm sure some of you will think it's great but it's not "ground station".
2015-9-7
Use props
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

To be honest, I've pretty much given up on DJI delivering this. I'm no longer surprised by their under achievements, I now consider it the norm. They say one thing, deliver something completely different. This doesn't come close to the email in which they promised waypoint functionality. Like you, I don't understand why they can't deliver this as its already functionality they have in the Ground Station package. I had expected more from the company.
2015-9-8
Use props
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Looks like DJI-Dave has censored this. Nothing like open debate
2015-9-8
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

The main issue with Waypoints as implemented on the Inspire is that there is no Waypoint or between waypoint tasking. Not much point is flying an automated course if you can't program actions when you arrive at the specific location!
2015-9-8
Use props
pkoepnick
lvl.1

United States

I am very disappointed in the waypoints.  I hope a 3rd party does the job right.
2015-9-8
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
Australia

You can't edit.
If it's wrong, start over again with capture of the route.

Not great, and without any tasking, I'm struggling to see the relevance
2015-9-8
Use props
Second Officer

United States

I think it's just a band-aid to tell everyone that DJI tried.   Not the future of possible though.   if this is it, then it's worthless.  for me.   I know that there's a dedicated ground station app for the phantom 2+.  That's what needs to be developed for the inspire/P3.   Trying to get all that functionality in the GO app is going to be difficult.  They have GS app,  why not just enable the inspire and P3.
2015-9-8
Use props
houston
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

yes, you will need to use several batteries to set your way points if you are covering a large area, then when you fly it. You can fly the camera in free mode so you can control its direction but other than that, you have wasted PRECIOUS battery life. The whole point, to me anyways, it to program a set course BEFORE i take off, and then have the bird fly the course. What is the point of the flying the course wasting battery power and then re-flying the course. If it is so you don't need a CAMERA operator then the payment is wasted battery. This really sucks considering the equipment we have in hand is more than capable of being programmed before flight.  Maybe DJI is trying to get out of some liability issue by doing it this way, I am not sure but it falls way short of why I purchased the Inspire in the first place. Fortunately, the Inspire shines in other areas.

Way Points is barely a band aid let alone the fulfillment of a promise.  So frustrating DJI. Come on, you can do it.

Houston
2015-9-8
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

lethbrp Posted at 2015-9-8 06:12
Looks like DJI-Dave has censored this. Nothing like open debate

It was the wrong thread. sorry
yesterday was a long day...
I have no problem with this thread.

debate away...
2015-9-8
Use props
method007
First Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Autopilot is saying they plan on coming out with waypoints and google maps in their next major update.  Based on the current product, I expect their version of waypoints will be amazing.  Beyond that, if it's not - they will want to know why, then they will change it.  Their app is pretty amazing.
2015-9-8
Use props
jones5r
Second Officer
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

Weak sauce!
2015-9-8
Use props
Starship
Second Officer

United States

I was expecting more.  I really want follow me mode.  Waypoints is more like a recorder.  I find it ironic that DJI releases their add on, and the next day AutoFlight Logic's app goes live.

WE WANT FOLLOW ME MODE  !!!!!!!!

Here's POI

2015-9-8
Use props
Kenrwi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47674 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a question I hope can be answered. DJI has chosen not to offer true ground station I read on an other thread due to legal reasons. But if that were the case then why is ground station with all its glory still available for the phantom 2?  What am I missing here?

Thanks appreciate the response.

Ken
2015-9-8
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
Australia

You're not missing anything Ken.
It's just spin.
2015-9-8
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

Starship Posted at 2015-9-8 17:07
I was expecting more.  I really want follow me mode.  Waypoints is more like a recorder.  I find it  ...

They were able to go live the next day because of the DJI release. ;-)
2015-9-8
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

Very soon you should see even more SDK developers go live. And the Inspire will just keep getting better.
2015-9-8
Use props
nilsblix
First Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Here was a lot of complaining !

I am used to have waypoints at hand on my Phantom ( which I have now sold ). The waypoint nearly got me to crash my Phantom the very first trip with it ( I had set the first waypoint to low and to fare away ). When you now have to actually fly the course to set the points  you should be guaranteed a safe route. But what is the point ? The point for me is that when having a automated route I can, as a singel operator, concentrate more on filming.

The POI function in the new app is very precise and nice - good work DJI

Course lock is not new - always been there - I never use it

Home lock - again a function I am used with from my Phantom - it is really practical - I have missed it for the Inspire. Very handy if you loose the orientation of your craft - again - very good job DJI

Follow me - it is not included for Inspire 1 - I do not know why.
It is included in the Autoflight Logic app - BUT - it is not follow me - it is follow my RC and iPhone/iPad. That is not very convenient to handle over your controller and iPad/iPhone to a person or a car you want to follow  - is it ?
The Autoflight Logic app is NOT a replacement for the GO app - and you will find yourself switching between apps when flying - this is a big disadvantage.
The Autoflight Logic app has no waypoints.

My intentention is not to say anything bad of the Autoflight app - I am going to buy it myself - but I think it is ok to know of its limitations.

2015-9-9
Use props
Jennifer 1701
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23501 ft
United States

This is just getting bizarre.

"Something funny happened on the way to the customer" Delays, missing features, poor or no service and to make it all the worse, this "dream machine" will never really be yours. Firmware leashes and software restrictions hobble the shiny new bird. Finally some of the missing features come strolling in but they are watered down and incomplete. Here comes DJI to the rescue. They slash those service times down to 4-6 wks and keep reminding us that--hey, there's the SDK whip up your own features.  Put down a couple of bucks and buy yourself something nice from another developer. Be happy!
2015-9-9
Use props
nilsblix
First Officer
  • >>>
Spain

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-9-9 13:29
>  you should be guaranteed a safe route.

I disagree - Here's my reason.

Yes I agree - it is nothing that is bulletproof - but flying the route before actually sending the Inspire  there should provide an extra safety level IMO. ( I have just barely tried the function )

POI function is greate - but certainly you will find situations where it not working at all - well then just not use it - use your manual skills.

I have just about 12 flights after the updated FW and GO app - it feels like a very solid upgrade - at least to me
2015-9-9
Use props
Second Officer

United States

My disappointment is not as much photography related and wanting manual control of the shot.   I fly over farmland..  Some of it out of the reach of my controller.  There's no obstacle to hit.   I just want to plan waypoints the full gammut.   I'd also like to control each point if I need to make a change.    I have to refly the whole set.  That takes time for just one waypoint correction.    It takes battery life and charge times.    I think if they leave the feature as is in the go app, I'm fine with that.  But provide inspire and P3 use with the dedicated ground station app.   Why not?    And if I fly off and hit something because I program something wrong, it's not mechanical failure.. It's my fault.
2015-9-9
Use props
GB44
Captain
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-9 04:59
Very soon you should see even more SDK developers go live. And the Inspire will just keep getting be ...

Why are we constantly being told that 3rd party developers will deliver the features that DJI promised at the release last year which prompted us to place pre-orders.  DJI will not endorse or guarantee connectivity with any 3rd party app and if the aircraft fell from the sky whilst using a third party app I know what the conversation and end result will be.  Simply not our problem as DJI did not manufacturer the 3rd party App.

This in my opinion is certainly not what was promised when pre-ordering last year.

What is the point of having to fly a route first to undertake an automated flight.  How many batteries does DJI think the average person or business has.  Even commercial operators have a limit.

All this promise and patient waiting for DJI simply fail to deliver on its promises is simply disgraceful.  

DJI have known since last year what everyone was looking for.  In deed I recall a forum post asking members for suggestions and opinions as to what they would like to see in new releases and the auto flight , waypoints etc. as I recall adding that we need to be able to manually set photos to be taken every two seconds etc.  whilst in flight, so there is simply no excuse for DJI to release this watered down app that delivers relatively no commercial advantage.  CL and HL nice features  but nothing new.  We have had the IOC from the start which is very similar.  What happened to the Dynamic Home Point ?

This failure to delivery promised features is way above DJI Dave, Ed etc. so I do have sympathy for them and understand it is out of their control.  But surely even the moderators can pass on and escalate our utter contempt and disgust towards DJI for this inaction to deliver.
2015-9-9
Use props
Second Officer

United States

Topvisions Thai Posted at 2015-9-9 09:28
What happen.?... if l1 loss  signal from  radio comunicattion or battery low during follow waypoint/ ...

it will complete the waypoints, then go home.  I'm assuming it goes home.   I'd hate to have a waypoint out of range and it just sit there until the battery drains and executes the RTH
2015-9-9
Use props
Second Officer

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-9-9 09:23
Why are we constantly being told that 3rd party developers will deliver the features that DJI promi ...

you know I agree with you on the watered down version.   It has to be hard to get that into the GO app.   I'm ok with it being watered down but for pete's sake, open up the ground station app for inspire and P3  for more sophisticated control, DJI.
2015-9-9
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-9-9 07:23
Why are we constantly being told that 3rd party developers will deliver the features that DJI promi ...

I understand and wish there was more I could do.
2015-9-9
Use props
GB44
Captain
United Kingdom

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-10 06:38
I understand and wish there was more I could do.

DJI Dave,

Don't get me wrong, I am not getting at individual moderators like yourself and Ed etc. who do a great job on the forum and help where possible.  The fault lies squarely with the higher echelons of DJI.  All we the customers can do is raise and voice our concerns on the forum when promises are failed to be delivered and given this is the only lines of communication with DJI it falls upon the moderators to escalate our concerns up the ranks.

Three things I would like to see that I believe could be delivered independently of each other by DJI are :

1.  A camera setting that allowed taking shots automatically whilst in flight every two seconds
2.  A camera setting that enabled video recording whilst also taking a still image every two, or five seconds whilst in flight and recording video simultaneously.
3.  Full detailed instructions for the App and any subsequent update or adding of features. e.g What is "Smart Go Home", how does it work and what happens if it is enabled or disabled.
4.  Full automated flight with waypoints without having to fly the route first.

Please pass up the lines for appropriate action and let us know of any comments you receive back.

Cheers,

GB

2015-9-10
Use props
nilsblix
First Officer
  • >>>
Spain

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-9-9 15:04
I agree with your modified wording...
"Safer"... Yes.. I have no issue with that claim.
"Guarantee ...

"Do you find that the handling/stability/altitude hold of your Inspire has improved since the upgrade?"

My Inspire has from day one been very stable - I have had no major issues with it ( other than pilot errors). Under FW 1.4 its very stable and I really feel this FW is safe to install - I do not know for poor Wilbur - but let us hope for the best - just do the upgrade and let us hear back
2015-9-10
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-9-10 01:49
DJI Dave,

Don't get me wrong, I am not getting at individual moderators like yourself and Ed etc.  ...

I will pass your recomendations on.
I know you are a good guy GB44 so I have never taken anything you have said wrong.

P.S.
I answered your "Smart Go Home" question in the other thread. I quoted you so you should see my reply in your reminds.
2015-9-10
Use props
GB44
Captain
United Kingdom

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-10 20:19
I will pass your recomendations on.
I know you are a good guy GB44 so I have never taken anything  ...

Dave,

Thanks for clarifying the Smart Go Home.

Appreciate that.
2015-9-10
Use props
daver/m
Second Officer
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Could it be that DJI does not want liability for some one intentionally sending one of their aerial camera products on an automatic mission of harm whilst the perpetrator leaves the area as its on its way to create mayhem ? Hmm , no preflight waypoints until you fly it on location , no follow mode ? Hmmm...
2015-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules