Accuracy of P3 Flight Record
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
t.katz
lvl.2

United States

This weekend I was flying my P3P in my backyard (Westchester, NY) and over the woods in my back yard (they're designated common land for the neighborhood).  For the first time in almost a year of flying around the backyard I had a somewhat annoyed neighbor from a few houses down show up.
He claimed that he was on his deck and the P3 was over his head.  I assured him I was only flying around my backyard and the woods behind it but he insisted that it was flying over his deck.  He was concerned I had a camera and I explained I was 300 feet up and only interested in the fields beyond the wooded area and the horizon).  He then threatened to call the police if it happened again and walked off.

I looked over the flight record in the app and it clearly shows that I was always over the wooded area.  The closest it got to his property was about 150 feet and 40 feet from the closest property (using the google maps measure distance feature) and I was 296 feet up according to the flight record.

In the event he does call the police and they do pay a visit to find out what he's complaining about, would the flight record be enough to show them that I wasn't flying over his yard?  I know there's a bit of error on gps but the the take off and landing location on the map is pretty much spot on, so I would assume the rest is.

Thanks!
2015-9-8
Use props
heyandy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 413009 ft
United States

If you want some light reading material, here is information straight from the government:
http://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/

But generally under "normal" situations it is around 10 meters or less (assuming enough satellites visible).
2015-9-8
Use props
t.katz
lvl.2

United States

Yep thanks.  I pretty much knew that, was just seeing if there was a consensus on approximate accuracy of the P3.  I guess in the worst case if I were to move the path 33 feet closer to his house, its still over 100 feet away.
2015-9-8
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

t.katz@me.com Posted at 2015-9-8 15:20
Yep thanks.  I pretty much knew that, was just seeing if there was a consensus on approximate accura ...

Not sure about your neighbor. Sounds like maybe he's itching fer a fight. If he does call the police, however, show them a video of something from 200 - 300 feet. In addition to the flight record. I think if enough people realize you can't read M-A-I-D-E-N-F-O-R-M from 300 feet up.....

I'm dating myself! The bottom line is that we need to educate people as to what we can really see - and what we really cannot see. I think I've seen several posts where Ray Rokni is doing that. I think he's had some moderate success so far.

As for your nasty neighbor, you may not be able to confuse him with facts if his mind is already made up!
2015-9-8
Use props
t.katz
lvl.2

United States

Yeah, I'm not so much worried about the neighbor, as he does seem to have his mind made up as you said.  Facts would just get in the way.

My biggest concern is that if he does decide to make the call and they come knocking.  Thats a good idea to have some footage ready, I'll have to put some on my phone to show them what 200+ feet looks like, along with the flight record showing that I'm nowhere near him.

I'm lucky though that my immediate neighbors are cool with it.  One even seemed concerned and asked what happened to "the drone" after a couple weeks of not going out and flying it, when work kept me busy after hours.
2015-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules