40103 64 2015-9-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Adam Flurk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-6 17:50
I can only dream about the large Inspire models. I rYde a Can Am SpYder RS-S Roadster, so I have no room for those behemoths... But they are awesome. A friend here has an Inspire1 and he loves that thing. I don't blame him. But mobility, and availability of places to fly them would be far too limiting to consider such a large monetary investment or purchase, for me. Yes the lume cubes bring the light into the darkness for sure. You can visit their busy website and check them out, at your own convenience. Check the video and pic albums for some incredible inspiration too.
Adam, You live in such an awesome location, that any mosquitos would be my last thing to complain about. ;-)
Yes, we do have many interesting bats cruising the sky, but they are much smarter than to crash into a slow flying drone.

Those Can Am Spyders are awesome! Florida is Okaaaay, I don't know about awesome. Everything here is flat! I need to start flying somewhere new! OMG Zika Virus Zika Virus!
2016-12-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Adam Flurk Posted at 2016-12-6 19:47
Those Can Am Spyders are awesome! Florida is Okaaaay, I don't know about awesome. Everything here is flat! I need to start flying somewhere new! OMG Zika Virus Zika Virus!

Flat? I live in Alberta, on the wide open prairies. So I know what flat is. Atleast we aren't in a dang hurricane zone though.
But it's only -19* C so rather pleasant tonight. Ha
Your +80* F must be pretty miserable eh? ;-)
I can only 'fathom' a guess with you living so near to the ocean...

RedHotPoker
2016-12-6
Use props
Adam Flurk
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-6 22:08
Flat? I live in Alberta, on the wide open prairies. So I know what flat is. Atleast we aren't in a dang hurricane zone though.
But it's only -19* C so rather pleasant tonight. Ha
Your +80* F must be pretty miserable eh? ;-)

Hahahahaha. Okay, okay. You win that one. We narrowly missed the hurricane this year. And YES, the weather is quite nice here. -2.2* F sounds REALLY cold! Wowsers. Keep warm!
2016-12-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Adam Flurk Posted at 2016-12-6 20:12
Hahahahaha. Okay, okay. You win that one. We narrowly missed the hurricane this year. And YES, the weather is quite nice here. -2.2* F sounds REALLY cold! Wowsers. Keep warm!

It's so cold when you spit, ice hits the ground. ;-)

Sending a pm, to free this thread.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-6
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Hey guys, just curious... When I fly at night I turn off all the visual processing on my P4.. My question is though, are the sonic units still on? When I come in to land, it still seems to hesitate right before I touch the ground (which I don't mind)..
2016-12-6
Use props
AustinM
New

United States

HangTime81 Posted at 2016-12-7 01:41
Thanks Shawn

My concern is for the general safety of other people, not even myself. If this deserves your response, so be it. I hope your 'fun' doesn't create a life changing event for anyone else.

Do you even fly?
Drone airspace is below 400 feet, however we still watch that area because helicopters are low fliers.

It's really people like you and the media who take down and stab at drones.
Night flying is safe, during the day it's harder for many reasons
Glare, Clouds match drone, Sky matches drone, People, Planes
Night:
See far away, less planes, little to no people
2016-12-8
Use props
StadashiC
New

United States

HangTime81 Posted at 2016-12-5 14:14
Right. Always great when you get the opportunity to endanger the life of others as well. Unbelievable all the idiots on this board who think that hobbyists for some reason have clearance to perform ill-advised acts that licensed pilots can't. WRONG!!! You cowboys keep it up. Kill somebody, then you'll really have proven the point. As long as it feels so good to you and you get your thrill! Right on!

I know this is an old thread but wow i cant get over your comments, no support to why you think its more dangerous you just keep saying it is over and over.
2017-1-8
Use props
E.finlay
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1868366 ft
United States

bbert73@msn.com Posted at 2016-4-21 18:47
According to the newest regulations, night flying IS NOT allowed.

It is not allowed for PART 107.  Vague for PART 101
2017-1-9
Use props
Jetpilot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70748 ft
United States

E.finlay Posted at 2017-1-9 13:11
It is not allowed for PART 107.  Vague for PART 101

It is allowed under Part 107 with a waiver
2017-1-10
Use props
RSW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116736 ft
United States

SpunOne69 Posted at 2015-9-8 13:30
It's not really a LAW, but the FAA does say that it should be within "Line of Sight"...wouldn't that be pretty hard at night??  I've tried, and it's hard to see the LED lights past a few hundred feet...

You can actually see the aircraft better at night, from a greater distance, due to the lights?
2017-1-10
Use props
RSW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116736 ft
United States

If you are an amatuer hobbyist, there is no such restriction, but if you are flying commercially there is indeed a restriction from flying at night in the U.S.
2017-1-10
Use props
Adam Flurk
Second Officer
United States

Here it is direct from the source. Notice the two headers in the below chart. One says: "Fly for Fun", the other says: "Fly for Work".
"The Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) new comprehensive regulations go into effect today for routine non-recreational use of small unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) – more popularly known as “drones." (https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=86305)

And here (https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/):

2017-1-12
Use props
185EZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 396470 ft
United States

HangTime81 Posted at 2016-12-5 14:15
Please do, if you're an irresponsible kook.

So hangtime is the new safety drone pup?
I bet he never did anything wrong in his life
I would like to see his healthy drone's data
I'm sure it's all up to snuff for a troll
2017-1-28
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1153681 ft
United States

SpunOne69 Posted at 2015-9-8 13:30
It's not really a LAW, but the FAA does say that it should be within "Line of Sight"...wouldn't that be pretty hard at night??  I've tried, and it's hard to see the LED lights past a few hundred feet...

Actually my Buddy and I, prefer to fly at night, and fly 4 or 5 times a week Night Flights Only, we have Lume Cubes on our BIRDS 1,500 Lumens WE LOVE THEM!!
2017-3-16
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1153681 ft
United States

HangTime81 Posted at 2016-12-5 15:37
I guess I'm missing the part where it backs up your point. I think the omission of the restriction is hardly a statement that says it's ok. It seems somewhat counter-intuitive that commercial would be restricted in this fashion, and not hobby.

And We don't have to report our Crashes either! Yeah! We have a lot more freedom!
2017-3-16
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-9-8 17:20
If you can afford to fly a Phantom 3...

Yeah well, anyways, I have my new eyeglass prescription, & just have to make time this week,

RHP, I hope you plan on posting a review of the new glasses?  I have been holding off on buying another pair of vr goggles since I already have 3 different ones and none are that great, so input would be very welcome.

2017-3-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-3-16 17:03
RHP, I hope you plan on posting a review of the new glasses?  I have been holding off on buying another pair of vr goggles since I already have 3 different ones and none are that great, so input would be very welcome.

@Kneepuck, I was talking about my new regular trifocals. My transition lenses are my eye glasses.

And yes, they are awesome. Haha

I have never wished for Phantom headsets and would probably only use those for racing drones.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-16
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-16 18:06
@Kneepuck, I was talking about my new regular trifocals. My transition lenses are my eye glasses.

And yes, they are awesome. Haha

Ah well, maybe I will take the plunge anyway, just to see how the DJI goggles work.  In for a penny, in for a pound, as the limeys say.
2017-3-17
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2016-12-6 19:31
Hey guys, just curious... When I fly at night I turn off all the visual processing on my P4.. My question is though, are the sonic units still on? When I come in to land, it still seems to hesitate right before I touch the ground (which I don't mind)..

That "Hesitation " is called ground cushion.  It's normal, an effect of being close to the ground.
2017-3-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-3-17 00:51
Ah well, maybe I will take the plunge anyway, just to see how the DJI goggles work.  In for a penny, in for a pound, as the limeys say.

Yes, grab it by the mane, and hang on tight...
I find that viewpoint awkward myself, when using it on my flight SIM. Much prefering chase mode over nose.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-17
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

RSW Posted at 2017-1-10 15:38
If you are an amatuer hobbyist, there is no such restriction, but if you are flying commercially there is indeed a restriction from flying at night in the U.S.

Whenever one has a question like this, it's almost always necessary to qualify it by telling us whether the flight in question is a part 101 flight or part 107 flight because the laws are frequently different  

Above quote is the best answer IMO.
2017-3-18
Use props
Cyclehoarder
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4213 ft
United States

bbert73@msn.com Posted at 2016-4-21 18:47
According to the newest regulations, night flying IS NOT allowed.

That's my understanding as well
2017-12-20
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

FAA copter of course needs to be VLOS so that the pitch of night, you'll have a tough time with that one. If on a PT 107 operation, it needs to be no later that 30 mins after sunset twlight.

Excerpt from FAA:

"You can fly during daylight or in twilight (30 minutes before official sunrise to 30 minutes after official sunset, local time) with appropriate anti-collision lighting. Minimum weather visibility is three miles from your control station. "
2017-12-20
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

For 101 flying, VLOS isn't good enough.  The AC must be close enough to see the attitude & orientation of the AC.  That means you have to be close enough to the AC to see the red lamps in the front of the AC so that you know which way the AC is facing.  Other than that, you can fly all night.  There is no requirement for special lighting as there would be for a 107 flight.
2017-12-20
Use props
Shoveltom
lvl.1
Flight distance : 202953 ft

Why bother, the camera can't see anything unless  you're over a city or highway, which is illegal.
2018-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules