Landing in the hand
807 12 1-12 12:52
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tonykent
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57297 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, I am having great trouble hand landing my mini 2SE. I undestand that is is preferable to land on the ground due to safety  concerns, but hard, level surfaces aren't always available. I position the drone to about 2m above the ground then slide my open palm about a metre below and gradually descend the drone. When it gets to about 0.5m above my hand, it jumps slightly and then just hovers, even though I am still pulling the descent lever. I have tried all sorts of things, including using cine mode, using auto landing, keeping the descent level pulled for a long period etc. It does work occasionally, so it isn't as though it never works, and by the way, I'm doing nothing different on the few occasions when it does work. No problems with hand ascent, which is a doddle by comparison.

1-12 12:52
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6337615 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hand-catching is an alternative to hand-landing. I do this with my Mini3Pro regularly.
Check with others whether it's still an option for the Mini2.
Bring the drone down to a convenient height, and hover.
Switch the flight mode to Sport (disables the rear sensors.)
Stand behind the drone and reach up to grab the sides firmly, then quickly flip it upside down.
The motors will scream for a split second and then shut down.
Mind you don't trim your fingernails on the props by reaching up too far.
1-12 13:54
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just bring the drone over your hand and FULLY close the throttle and keep it fully closed.
I hand land a Mini and Mini-2 95% of the time and I have never had them refuse to hand land. I doubt the Mini 2 SE is any different unless DJI have changed something in the software.

1-12 14:19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

+1 for Blériot53 solution,  I do this aall the time with the Mini 2 and Mini 3 no problem at all.  
1-13 01:31
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-13 01:31
+1 for Blériot53 solution,  I do this aall the time with the Mini 2 and Mini 3 no problem at all.

But the mini and mini 2 series drones have NO "rear sensors" to disable and I hand land them in ANY mode though I usually use N mode.
1-13 01:45
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello, there. Please know that it's recommended to land your aircraft in a suitable place. Hand landing may cause injury to the user and damage to the aircraft. Thank you for your understanding.
1-13 01:51
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
Flight distance : 395571 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Most of my landings are in the hand,  Just put my hand underneath, it raises a little,  then pull down on the stick.
1-13 01:55
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-13 01:45
But the mini and mini 2 series drones have NO "rear sensors" to disable and I hand land them in ANY mode though I usually use N mode.

Quite right Sean.  You can also grab it and hold the left stick down instead of flipping.  
1-13 02:10
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 1-13 02:10
Quite right Sean.  You can also grab it and hold the left stick down instead of flipping.

"Grabbing" it is likely to cause a 'fight', I prefer to just let it land on my hand. I think the only time I have grabbed a Mini was on a blustery day when it was struggling to hold position or in an experiment.
1-13 02:21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-13 02:21
"Grabbing" it is likely to cause a 'fight', I prefer to just let it land on my hand. I think the only time I have grabbed a Mini was on a blustery day when it was struggling to hold position or in an experiment.

Ive never managed to land in my hand like you describe,   in fact Ive had it do some erratic things trying,  including flying away 10 ft.    Its because Im unable to get my hand flat enough since I broke my wrist many years ago.
1-13 02:31
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ahh but I land the minis at waist height, with my forearm parallel to the ground and palm uppermost.

I might even land the m2P/Z that way but I certainly have never tried hand-landing a mavic-style-drone above shoulder height.
My approach is not the recommended way but it works for me.
P3's I would hover at shoulder height and 'grab' their undercarriage then shut the motors down with a closed throttle.
1-13 04:57
Use props
yogi053
First Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

I generally land my Mini2s' on the palm of my hand, but have never 'flipped' them over, deciding instead to hold left 'stick' down until motors come to a halt. Come to think of it, don't think I have ever hand launched any of my drones.
1-14 05:42
Use props
MBSL500
lvl.4
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-13 01:51
Hello, there. Please know that it's recommended to land your aircraft in a suitable place. Hand landing may cause injury to the user and damage to the aircraft. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you mother.
1-17 17:17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules