Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
to Calibrate or Not to Calibrate !!
1517 13 2015-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SectorDrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 1114649 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Convince me pls..

Just upgraded fro 1.1.9 t0 1.3.2 to 1.4.1

IMU Check said No cal Required ! (from electronics)

My Aircraft Waming time is within 30 sec

Posts here said Cal IMU after FW change.

Pls convince me... whats the electonics said so ?

2015-9-10
Use props
pi-inthesky
First Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

If your concern is should I or shouldn't I . It will do no harm if you carry out cal imu even if your not prompted to. I always do a complete check of all settings after firmware upgrades.RTH altitude settings is one that I find I need to reset on a regular basis,Its worth it just to be to be on the safe side
2015-9-10
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Calibrate your IMU, but not straight away after FW update, pull off the battery first and let it cool down for 30 minutes, the calibrate IMU
2015-9-10
Use props
Phuglie
First Officer
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-9-11 03:21
Calibrate your IMU, but not straight away after FW update, pull off the battery first and let it coo ...

Good advice - that's what I did - plus I made sure the surface was as level as I could make it using a spirit level and folded paper under a heavy wooden board.
2015-9-10
Use props
TheDreamingWatc
lvl.1

Austria

After a firmware upgrade you should calibarte the IMU. Even if the app says you don't need to.
2015-9-11
Use props
sdharris
lvl.4
Flight distance : 384967 ft
United Kingdom

Calibrate after the FW upgrade and as said let the craft cool first. IMU warmup within 30 seconds is actually quite long anyway, if you said yours warm up within 10 seconds OK but within 30 sounds quite slow.

Don't forget the gimbal and compass calibration as well.
2015-9-11
Use props
clive
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41969 ft
United Kingdom

TheDreamingWatc Posted at 2015-9-11 12:53
After a firmware upgrade you should calibarte the IMU. Even if the app says you don't need to.

But why?
I'm not saying you're wrong, just trying to understand the reasoning behind your statement
2015-9-11
Use props
TheDreamingWatc
lvl.1

Austria

clive Posted at 2015-9-11 14:42
But why?
I'm not saying you're wrong, just trying to understand the reasoning behind your statemen ...

Better safe than sorry!

In the past a lot of devices (e.g. my DSLR) lost some or all settings when the firmware was updated.
Modern devices, like the Phantom, are more robust or better programmed.

However, you can't be sure.

If only some of the IMU settings were deleted or reset by the firmware update they might still look ok. However, the next time you fly your Phantom it will do something crazy.

See also: IMU
2015-9-11
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's a good idea to always do steps #47 and #48 at the following link after installing new firmware:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/how-to-install-phantom-3-firmware-if-using-dji-go.50065

Double-checking that everything is in working order never hurt anyone. Assuming that all is well without checking could result in a catastrophic crash. Put in that extra time and protect your investment.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-9-11
Use props
solsystem7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6550331 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have done one firmware upgrade on my P3A. The IMU settings didn't change and it flew the same as before the upgrade. I have other DJI Products and the only time I have re-calibrated the IMU is usually if I have crashed as a result of flying too fast etc....If I noticed it wasn't flying stable, I would then re-calibrate and things would be fine. I don't think it can hurt anything to re-calibrate, but if it doesn't need it based on the numbers, then??
2015-9-11
Use props
clive
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41969 ft
United Kingdom

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-9-11 17:23
It's a good idea to always do steps #47 and #48 at the following link after installing new firmware: ...

I did a recalibrate before flying on Sunday and it now takes longer to warm up!
I suppose I'll have to have another go at it.
2015-9-14
Use props
hundleton1
Captain
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

clive Posted at 2015-9-15 07:47
I suppose I'll hav ...

get it as cold as you can before you calibrate,
2015-9-14
Use props
terrylewis
Captain
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

SectorDrone,

Any firmware update should be considered "aircraft maintenance" and you're hearing a concensus of post-maintenance experiences.
It's always your choice as to your post-maintence setup, pre-flight checklist procedures, and post-maintenance test flight.

Firmware 1.1.9 was 84,938KB in size and did not contain today's necessary SDK firmware additions. (1.1.8 is about the same file size)
Firmware 1.2.8 was considerably larger at 93,683KB, introducing numerous SDK additions.
This update led to numerous issues and the consensus of the majority of users was that IMU and Compass Calibrations
were necessary after this update due to possible sensor data corruption.
Firmware 1.3.20 is similar in size at 93,630KB and introduced roll-back capabilities and also include the SDK revisions.
Firmware 1.4.10 does not include the RC firmware so its size is smaller at 64,547KB but updates ESC and MC components.

So regardless of your decision for IMU and Compass calibration, after this update you should prepare yourself to fly a very conservative
"post-maintenance" check flight, keeping line of sight, prepared for the possibility of erradic flight.
You should be prepared for emergency procedures and if you P3 is solid as a rock, then consider yourself lucky; if it flys crazy, then you'll be prepared to recover and will have real grounds to perform the calibrations.

2015-9-15
Use props
Gandalf001
lvl.1

United States

clive Posted at 2015-9-15 02:47
I suppose I'll hav ...

I saw this same issue after a recalibration as well early on in my experience but a later firmware update after that seemed to reduce the time back to near original timings...
2015-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules