• >>>
Dominican Republic

HOLY SHOOT is that thing real?
2015-9-10
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

OMG that is awesome !! now we gonna have falling phantoms LOL, Boeing developed this for anti-aircraft weapons systems to be deployed in civilian locations for perimeter defense, but this one looks very cheap and might as well be deployed by local pd !!!
2015-9-10
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

Great, now they only have to give Deputy Fife his 15 minutes of training...what could go wrong?
2015-9-10
Use props
QECadmin
lvl.3

United States

LOL...."portable" laser...doesn't look very portable to me
2015-9-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I would not like to be in the path behind the target when it misses.
2015-9-10
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

If I'm not wrong, the military has had very similar "lasers" in use of bringing down missiles.  This looks more like a "civilian" style apparatus.  Either way, if THEY use it responsibly and WE fly responsibly none of us will have any issues.   
2015-9-10
Use props
heyandy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 413009 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2015-9-10 23:30
I would not like to be in the path behind the target when it misses.

And hence why I am going to guess the FAA is going to have issues with this just as it does have with shooting a drone out of the sky...   More times than not, you will miss, and imagine that poor Cessna or Piper flying 1000 feet away getting hit by it.
2015-9-10
Use props
Sling Shot
lvl.3

United States

This is what happens when a bunch of (Sheldons) at Boeing get together and play with their mega dollar toys. The thing looks like a converted submarine para scope...and it's hooked up to an XBox??...There you go!!
2015-9-10
Use props
Phuglie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

Another great piece of tech to fall into the wrong hands and be used against people It's kind of a long-distance flame thrower?
2015-9-10
Use props
-=RaM=-
lvl.3

United Kingdom

So they turn a Drone into a fireball which could fall anywhere... Yeah that makes sense
2015-9-11
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

-=RaM=- Posted at 2015-9-11 06:25
So they turn a Drone into a fireball which could fall anywhere... Yeah that makes sense

"Sorry sir. We didn't mean to melt your car. We were just trying to measure your speed!"
2015-9-11
Use props
CONTROL FREQ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3762346 ft
United States

this can't be real.

do you know how many lawsuits would arise due to personal and property damage from falling UAVs that were shot down?

i'll bet this is just something "they" put out there to scare us because "they" know that we'd eventually get wind of this video.  

2015-9-11
Use props
lvl.2
United States

Do you recall some post 9/11 entrepreneurs selling parachutes for high-rise office employees in case they needed to bail out?  I was an employee for a large city for over 28 yrs and can assure you that when it comes to high-tech gizmos & gadgets, a slick salesman can easily sell the latest and greatest crap to not-too-sharp purchasing folks.   And 99% of that stuff  soon ends up collecting dust in storage areas---I've seen it over and over again.  This laser gizmo  is no different, but there will be police dept admin' people who convince city hall that they must have it  (at great expense) "For public safety".  Every time there's a new perceived threat, real or imagined, there's a host of manufacturers eager to sell a solution to any gullible buyer.  And municipalities seem particularly vulnerable to buying useless toys.
2015-9-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

And we all laughed at Ronald Raygun and his plans for lasers in the sky to shoot down missiles. This looks like a left-over from that program.
2015-9-11
Use props
agrewe
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I call bullshit, sensationalist reporting. This isn't intended to shoot down hobbyist drones. This is for war zones, to shoot down enemy drones. It's for military use.
2015-9-12
Use props
P3PO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

If you notice the video target was a hobby plane aircraft made of balsa with shrink covering. Me thinks it would be much more difficult to bring down our heavily  plastic DJI UAV's in this manner.
2015-9-12
Use props
Stealth...
lvl.2

Netherlands

I have seen a lot off shull-bit, but this really beats them all.
2015-9-12
Use props
agrewe
lvl.2

United Kingdom

P3PO Posted at 2015-9-12 10:42
If you notice the video target was a hobby plane aircraft made of balsa with shrink covering. Me thi ...

That's almost certainly because this was for initial testing purposes only. From what I understand the whole purpose of this thing is to disable just one key part of the drone to bring it down, it's not to pulverise the whole thing.
2015-9-12
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is real and real expensive. The Military is now using Lasers to take out targets and Missiles. Will it be in the hands of Bubba and one tooth Jim (aka smiley) I really doubt it. It would be like giving Bombs to Terrorists. One could render a person Blind in a matter of seconds. For now I would be more concerned with an upset neighbor with a Shotgun.
2015-9-12
Use props
Show Me Drone
lvl.2
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-9-11 05:59
"Sorry sir. We didn't mean to melt your car. We were just trying to measure your speed!"

or Sorry Sir  that your entire field of corn was burned to the ground from a falling (in flames ) drone   Or......a dry forest of trees      Yeah   lets see how that one turns out
2015-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules