Getting caught in the rain
2417 5 2-16 14:50
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Andrew Bland SF
lvl.2
Flight distance : 624019 ft
United States

Has anyone else had their drone get a little wet?
I was flying yesterday morning and suddenly felt a very light drizzle. I immediately brought the Mavic 3 Pro back to home. It had a very light sprinkling of mist/drizzle.
I blew some off with air (probably sholdn't have done that), and then let it dry under a fan.
It powers on, flies, and records without any apparent issues.

Should I be concerned at this point? It seems like it's absolutely fine, and other than avoiding such situations in the future, I don't what else I can do about it now.
I've done a little reading and YouTube research, and I've found some stories of people getting their drones absolutely soaked without any negative effects. I guess they're pretty robust overall?

2-16 14:50
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Andrew. Although the DJI Mavic 3 series is not 100% waterproof (because we need to balance the performance of the aircraft comprehensively, and we don’t want to sacrifice the portability and the battery life for 100% waterproof). If there is a sudden downpour during the flight and the aircraft is several kilometers away. The engineering team tries their best to make sure that the aircraft returns safely instead of crashing immediately after getting wet from light rain. Therefore, the DJI Mavic 3 has many waterproof design considerations, such as adding a flow channel inside the aircraft, so that water can flow out after entering the aircraft from the heat dissipation holes as much as possible, instead of directly into the circuit board. However, these waterproof considerations are not 100%  guaranteed effective. Their goal is to improve flight safety rather than encourage their use in the rain. Therefore, it is still not recommended to fly the aircraft for a long time in the rain. Have a great day.
2-16 21:08
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ive had this happen a few times,  so far no ill effects.
2-17 02:03
Use props
GuiG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 780548 ft
Netherlands

It happened to me, too. When i feel rain drops I always return directly, remove the battery and dry the drone. And leave my suitcase open so that the moist can evaporate. Also, I have some moist beads (those white bags that come in electronics boxes) in my suitcase that absorb the moisture. When I come home, I always leave the lid open, and the moisture can evaporate.
So, no problems until now.
2-20 00:16
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

GuiG Posted at 2-20 00:16
It happened to me, too. When i feel rain drops I always return directly, remove the battery and dry the drone. And leave my suitcase open so that the moist can evaporate. Also, I have some moist beads (those white bags that come in electronics boxes) in my suitcase that absorb the moisture. When I come home, I always leave the lid open, and the moisture can evaporate.
So, no problems until now.

Hi there, thanks for your reply. Consumer drones do not have an IP rating. They are neither waterproof nor dustproof. Therefore, we recommend that you pay attention to the flying environment and do not fly in rain, snow, or foggy weather to avoid water damage to the device. Thank you.
2-20 00:24
Use props
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
Canada

I've just flown through fog and got a light covering of water droplets on the drone.
I don't see the point of those "water jacket" stickers. As you get water droplets on your camera lens anyway, which makes any footage useless.
2-20 01:39
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules