918 12 2-19 09:07
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nexus Redux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7878520 ft
  • >>>
Austria

It started with a thread of another pilot here about a drifting yaw during hyperlapse, which mostly occured in dark hours when the vision sensors were disabled. After lots of night flights and tests I became aware that the mini 4 Pro has in general a drifitng problem when its getting dark. Last night I did a test with a friend: he flew his mini 3 pro beside my mini 4 pro and guess what: the mini 3 pro was standing very stable and accurately on the spot while the mini 4 pro was always drifting a bit. As soon as I moved it only a bit, it took her long to stand stable again.

We flew in 115 meters, almost no wind. (And yes, everything calibrated, latest firmware, da da da da). We started at sunset both drones performing very similar and when it got darker and the mini 4 pro disabled the vision sensors due to darkness, then the drifitng started.

So its clearly related to the disabled vision sensors on Mini 4 pro - why this doesnt happen with the Mini 3 pro, which has also those sensors - just not 360 degrees? And we couldnt figure out at all, why the vision sensors play such an important 'stabilizing' role in the programmnig of the mini 4 pro - as those are completely useless when u fly high above ground as we did. Does the mini 3 pro more rely on GPS satellites for positioning? Its a shame the mini 4 pro is performing here worse than its predecessor.

2-19 09:07
Use props
_dji_user_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1807159 ft
Estonia

I have noticed that sometimes mini 4 starts spinning/swirling in the dark or dim lights. Is it same as a drifting?
2-19 10:14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

@ Nexus Redux, can you post the flightlogs for both drones?

2-19 12:03
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

_dji_user_ Posted at 2-19 10:14
I have noticed that sometimes mini 4 starts spinning/swirling in the dark or dim lights. Is it same as a drifting?

I think the use of the word "drifting" would generally be reserved for horizontal movement but I think the OP is, in this thread, referring to uncommanded yawing ( spinning ) of the drone.
2-19 12:09
Use props
Nexus Redux
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

Dirty Bird Posted at 2-19 14:58
The Vision sensors are not active in low light so I'm not sure how or why they would be causing this issue?
That's exactly my point. Don't know how and why this is related to each other, but as soon as it gets too dark for the drone, giving the message on the screen that sensor are disabled now and switching with the symbol to red the drifting issue suddenly shows up...
2-19 15:02
Use props
Nexus Redux
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-19 12:09
I think the use of the word "drifting" would generally be reserved for horizontal movement but I think the OP is, in this thread, referring to uncommanded yawing ( spinning ) of the drone.

It is a slow horizontal movement...
2-19 15:03
Use props
Nexus Redux
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

Good idea...
2-19 15:31
Use props
Nexus Redux
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

Just above the ground or high up?
2-19 15:53
Use props
Nexus Redux
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

Just above the ground or did u go high up? We became aware of this, when it was supposed to hover in a fixed spot high up like 100 meters. When it stayed on one spot and moved it a bit (for instance to turn to the left or right on the spot) it took quite long to get in the fixed spot again and drifted quite a lot...

See also the other thread "drifting yaw" where u can see this effect during hyperlapse.. a straight hyper lapse (course lock mode) at night is almost not achievable - in the majority of attempts it then drifts slowly a bit to the left or right (not predictable)

But thx for testing!
2-19 15:55
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

when it got darker and the mini 4 pro disabled the vision sensors due to darkness
The OA sensors don't get disabled.
They just aren't able to work without good light - and that's the same for the Mini 3 and the Mini 4.

So its clearly related to the disabled vision sensors on Mini 4 pro
That assumption is wrong.
The OA sensors don't have any effect on horizontal position holding, whether on or off.

Does the mini 3 pro more rely on GPS satellites for horizontal positioning?
There is no difference in the way both drones use GPS.

Perhaps your expectations for position holding are too high?
The specs say:
Hovering Accuracy Range (windless or breezy)
Vertical:         ±0.5 m (with GNSS positioning)
Horizontal:     ±0.5 m (with GNSS positioning)

2-19 19:34
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi there, whether it’s DJI Mini 4 Pro or DJI Mini 3 Pro, during the night, the vision systems may not work due to the low light conditions, and the obstacle avoidance system may not work. Please fly with caution. Thank you.
2-19 20:24
Use props
Nexus Redux
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

Dirty Bird Posted at 2-19 14:58
The Vision sensors are not active in low light so I'm not sure how or why they would be causing this issue?

we know that. That is not the point of this thread...
2-20 00:50
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nexus Redux Posted at 2-19 15:03
It is a slow horizontal movement...

Sorry, if you are saying that the drone is moving horizontally, once the conditions prevent the optical sensors from working, including the VPS sensors, then the probable answer is :-
GPS position holding is not as good as VPS position holding, once the light has gone then the drone is relying on the less accurate GPS position holding.

Try switching the bottom light on ..... that is if the drone is low.
I have no idea why the Mini 3 pro doesn't drift but posting the flight logs for both drones for these flights might yield some answers.

2-20 02:49
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules