Phantom 3 "Spins" out of control
2550 17 2015-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NickT
lvl.1

Ecuador

Bad day today.I am currently in the jungle in Ecuador and my Phantom 3, at 1 min 10 seconds into the flight, started to fly eratically out of control.
It starting spining, lost alot of altitude about 100m in few seconds, flew about 50m further, again spining, and out...
We are currently looking for it, but it may have landed in the river.  No sign of it so far.
Based on flight data it went "out" 193m away from me at about 45 degrees (NE) from the home point.
Clearly something failed.

I got awsome pictures with it durring the 63 flights, 8hr.43min. I had it.
Sure glad there was no one below in the area it went down.

Not sure what to do next.
:-(

Anyone have any suggestions?
Just lost perhaps the best toy I ever owned.

2015-9-12
Use props
lancegriggs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 448327 ft
United States

So sorry man. We love our mission trips to beautiful Ecuador.  Hope you find resolution of some kind. I love my P3A, but I swear it's nerve racking.
2015-9-12
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had my P2 w/gopro in Ecuador.  Sorry you lost it.  Keep trekking and find it.
2015-9-12
Use props
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry Man. Lost or busted beyond repair, it is a blow to the heart.
2015-9-12
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Sorry to hear of another Phallen Phantom  :-(

Without more information it seems hard to say "Clearly something failed" because there are a number of other possibilities.
Lots of wildlife flying around in a jungle.  Possible collision with wildlife.
Could also have been some kind of transmission from nearby.

You should be able to get the last coordinates from the app.
Post up your logs and lets see what we have here.

You should try to find the Phantom.   Chances of a good outcome drop off sharply without a bird to send back.

Just look out for Pirhana if you go wading in the rivers.
2015-9-12
Use props
justinheieusebi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 945518 ft
Philippines

once you encountered abnormal during flight immediatly switch to atti mode, to disabled compass and gps.
2015-9-13
Use props
Snowman
lvl.2

Finland

Sounds like the infamous P3 toilet bowl effect. Did you check compass mod value before flight?
2015-9-13
Use props
lancegriggs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 448327 ft
United States

I fly exclusively in attitude mode now. Once you done about 10 flights or more with it, it's hard to go back to GPS assist. And you won't have to worry about as much going bonkers.
2015-9-13
Use props
NickT
lvl.1

Ecuador

Drone found!  Its not in great shape though and it spent the night below water.
It crashed right on the edge of a river.
The camera is broken off but was found together with the drone.  One of the props broke off, but the other half was also with the drone (i.e. on impact).
The body/arm or one of the motors seems to be warped.  The prop now impacts with the body when it is turned.   I assume that it is from the impact.
We had visual on the drone when it became unresponsive.  It was very close (50m), but high up (300m).  Saw no large birds.
It was 300 meters up when it became "unhappy", there is not much here in the jungle in terms of EM interference.
I have the parts in a box of rice to try the suck the humidity out of it.
I did not recalibrate compas before flight as I flew numerous flights from same location in the previous hours.
How do I post logs?
Any suggestions?

Regards
Nick

2015-9-13
Use props
NickT
lvl.1

Ecuador

Pictures of recovered P3 Pro.

Recovered

Recovered

Camera

Camera
2015-9-13
Use props
Nicholas Rønsho
lvl.3

Denmark

NickT Posted at 2015-9-13 16:11
Drone found!  Its not in great shape though and it spent the night below water.
It crashed right on  ...

Which date did you fly ? K-index has been very high last days
2015-9-13
Use props
al.zamorski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256362 ft
United States

It could be possibly that your P3p went bonkers because of GPS interference from high kp levels ? I know here the last two days the kp index has been very high (6 & 7)
2015-9-13
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

NickT Posted at 2015-9-13 22:42
Pictures of recovered P3 Pro.

or the prop could have broken off b4 crash!! they look like 3rd party props? do u check props regularly, like b4 each flight?
lets not jump to the usual, must have been, gps or compass,.
2015-9-13
Use props
NickT
lvl.1

Ecuador

The props are Carbon fibre and were in great shape.  I don't use them much and have never had a hard impact.
Until I found the other piece of the prop, I thought the same based on the loss of the stability the drone showed during flight.  Now I'm thinking engine failure?
The broken prop was found together with the drone next to it.  Looks like impact damage.  They came with the drone from Drone-World.
Live video during the flight looked like it might even have inverted in flight, and it started to spin.
K index???  Kip levels?
I flew yesterday 10:46am local time.

Regards
Nick
2015-9-13
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

NickT Posted at 2015-9-14 03:52
The props are Carbon fibre and were in great shape.  I don't use them much and have never had a hard ...

yea if u found the other piece nearby then probably happened on impact.
go to uavforecast.com and see what the k-index was in your area. you can also download solar sphere on ios app store.
2015-9-13
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

NickT Posted at 2015-9-14 03:52
The props are Carbon fibre and were in great shape.  I don't use them much and have never had a hard ...

according to the forecast you only had a k-index of  3 today, Sunday 13th
2015-9-13
Use props
Andrewsokolovic
lvl.2

Canada

Yeah but it has dropped overnight significantly. My current Kp is 4 in southern Manitoba and that is right at the threshold of when my p3a behaves. Yesterday during the Kp 6 time I took off to my preflight altitude to make sure everything is functioning normally and the poor bird was doing the toilet bowl move. So I decided to land it and it was easily the hairiest landing I have had. It jumped up at least 2 feet after the initial touch so I aborted a ground landing and hand caught it.

The worst part was telling my client that conditions aren't right to fly at the moment even though there was only a 5mph wind at that spot and bluebird skys above. I showed him the Kp index and explained how the gps and glonass are extremely sensitive to this kind of interference. He understood afterward but having it all good to go and in the air only to abort in the very last of the checklist was annoying for everyone.
2015-9-13
Use props
NickT
lvl.1

Ecuador

Guess I send the drone back to DJI now and hope for the best...
It dropped about 100m in 10 seconds when the trouble started.  I was still trying to get it to go up.
2015-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules