• >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting thoughts on the Avata 2

4-3 21:41
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Yeah, I saw that one. He has some interesting opinions.
4-4 00:09
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

USER001 Posted at 4-4 00:09
Yeah, I saw that one. He has some interesting opinions.

Yes. the no bundled fpv controller is the most disappointing for me.
4-4 00:15
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 4-4 00:15
Yes. the no bundled fpv controller is the most disappointing for me.

Me too. I really wanted an FPV RC. Anyway, I found I good tutorial for the MC. This tutorial makes it sound much easier.

4-4 00:17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

USER001 Posted at 4-4 00:17
Me too. I really wanted an FPV RC. Anyway, I found I good tutorial for the MC. This tutorial makes it sound much easier.

How to use DJI Motion Controller

I think the MC could be good fun,  but for serious flying I need sticks,   just call me old.
4-4 00:51
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 4-4 00:51
I think the MC could be good fun,  but for serious flying I need sticks,   just call me old.

lol I agree. I am just so used to the joysticks.
4-4 01:32
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice find DA.  Thanks for sharing.  
4-4 03:10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-4 03:10
Nice find DA.  Thanks for sharing.

No probs DT.    Shame the FPV controller will still be an additional purchase.  
4-4 03:11
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-4 03:11
No probs DT.    Shame the FPV controller will still be an additional purchase.

If was able to fly FPV I'd want a controller vice the MC.  Just used to the sticks I guess.  Anyway, good marketing ploy by DJI to sell it separately.
4-4 07:24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Once you get used to the MC, IMO it is better than the RC in S mode when it comes to things like tighter and faster turns, maneuverability, acceleration, etc.  Unless the Avata 2 changes things, why would DJI promote the RC which cannot use head tracking, doesn't have the circle spotting, or one hand.  It's the whole reason why they added reverse and up/down joystick to the MC1 to get MC2.

Manual model is the main differentiator.  I'm an MC fan.
4-4 07:40
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-4 07:24
If was able to fly FPV I'd want a controller vice the MC.  Just used to the sticks I guess.  Anyway, good marketing ploy by DJI to sell it separately.

I'll probably fly with both and see which I like most,  but I also want to get better at manual flight so to practice that I will need the other controller.  Hopefully the new goggles will be compatible with self built drones as well and thats a new avenue for me.  
4-5 02:25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 4-4 07:40
Once you get used to the MC, IMO it is better than the RC in S mode when it comes to things like tighter and faster turns, maneuverability, acceleration, etc.  Unless the Avata 2 changes things, why would DJI promote the RC which cannot use head tracking, doesn't have the circle spotting, or one hand.  It's the whole reason why they added reverse and up/down joystick to the MC1 to get MC2.

Manual model is the main differentiator.  I'm an MC fan.

It's all about manual mode for me,  and hopeful compatibility with self built things as well.   The avata 2 could be my gateway to more manual flight and self built quads using the same goggles/controller.
4-5 02:26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-5 02:25
I'll probably fly with both and see which I like most,  but I also want to get better at manual flight so to practice that I will need the other controller.  Hopefully the new goggles will be compatible with self built drones as well and thats a new avenue for me.

I'm thinking that you'll need the stick controller to use with the FPV simulator.  

Depp seems to enjoy home built FPV drones a lot.  
4-5 02:49
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-5 02:49
I'm thinking that you'll need the stick controller to use with the FPV simulator.  

Depp seems to enjoy home built FPV drones a lot.

Good point about the simulator,  I probably should start there again.
4-5 02:58
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-5 02:58
Good point about the simulator,  I probably should start there again.

I remember from reading one of Depp's replies that he had recommended a particular FPV simulator to another user but for the life of me I can't recall the name.  
4-5 03:32
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-5 03:32
I remember from reading one of Depp's replies that he had recommended a particular FPV simulator to another user but for the life of me I can't recall the name.

As Im one Mac I think I'll just user the DJI one,   I assume it will get an update for the new goggles.  
4-5 23:37
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-5 23:37
As Im one Mac I think I'll just user the DJI one,   I assume it will get an update for the new goggles.

One can only hope that an upgrade to the software is in DJI's plans.  
4-6 10:11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-6 10:11
One can only hope that an upgrade to the software is in DJI's plans.

If not I'll just have to go for it.     Im assuming flicking it back to N mode will stabilise the thing if you left go of the sticks.  
4-6 22:51
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-6 22:51
If not I'll just have to go for it.     Im assuming flicking it back to N mode will stabilise the thing if you left go of the sticks.

It should but I never tried the simulator.  
4-7 06:56
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Still you are interested right?
4-7 10:41
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-7 06:56
It should but I never tried the simulator.

I tried the simulator last night and it really showed up how bad my flying was.  
4-8 00:08
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 4-7 10:41
Still you are interested right?

From the spec of the one thats listed online for sale in the ABT shop I think I will be getting one as soon as my local store has stock.
4-8 00:09
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 4-8 00:09
From the spec of the one thats listed online for sale in the ABT shop I think I will be getting one as soon as my local store has stock.

Sounds good.
4-8 00:59
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-8 00:08
I tried the simulator last night and it really showed up how bad my flying was.

I'm told it takes quite a bit of time in the simulator to get prepped for manual mode flight.  
4-8 05:36
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-8 05:36
I'm told it takes quite a bit of time in the simulator to get prepped for manual mode flight.

I was better before,  but then Ive let it lapse,    with only using the on screen controlls I dont think it's really training me to fly the real thing.
4-8 23:34
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-8 23:34
I was better before,  but then Ive let it lapse,    with only using the on screen controlls I dont think it's really training me to fly the real thing.

Guess you'll find out if it has helped once you get your hands on the Avata 2.  
4-9 08:29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-9 08:29
Guess you'll find out if it has helped once you get your hands on the Avata 2.

Fingers crossed for Friday collection.  Just need to decide where to take it for the first flight.    Somewhere flat and away from water and people.  
4-9 23:40
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-9 23:40
Fingers crossed for Friday collection.  Just need to decide where to take it for the first flight.    Somewhere flat and away from water and people.

I bet you've already scouted out a few first flight locations.  
4-10 08:20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-10 08:20
I bet you've already scouted out a few first flight locations.

Actually not really,   Ive drawn a blank on that at least locally.  
4-10 23:00
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-10 23:00
Actually not really,   Ive drawn a blank on that at least locally.

I'm sure you'll find some place accommodating.  

What are the flight restrictions in the UK for FPV drones?
4-11 04:09
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-11 04:09
I'm sure you'll find some place accommodating.  

What are the flight restrictions in the UK for FPV drones?

Two rules.  Standard is a3 flight 150m in all directions away from everything.  People, beaches, buildings, footpaths etc.   but if you belong to the national FPV club you can fly under article 16 rules that reduces that to 35m. I’m already a member as membership comes with commercial and recreational insurance for less than insurance alone costs.   It makes my Mavic 2 more useable here too.
4-11 04:36
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-11 04:36
Two rules.  Standard is a3 flight 150m in all directions away from everything.  People, beaches, buildings, footpaths etc.   but if you belong to the national FPV club you can fly under article 16 rules that reduces that to 35m. I’m already a member as membership comes with commercial and recreational insurance for less than insurance alone costs.   It makes my Mavic 2 more useable here too.

Okay, so that does help then with finding a "learning" environment for the Avata 2.  Only another hour and a half before the official announcement here.  
4-11 05:32
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-11 05:32
Okay, so that does help then with finding a "learning" environment for the Avata 2.  Only another hour and a half before the official announcement here.

It's out now.   
4-11 05:40
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Oh, it certainly is.  The 2 year Care refresh is not badly priced.  Shipping from DJI online store to southeaster US says arrival date of 16 April.  So not bad at all.  Again, I'm going to have to pass.  Fingers crossed your Argo store will have them either today or tomorrow.
4-11 05:52
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-11 05:52
Oh, it certainly is.  The 2 year Care refresh is not badly priced.  Shipping from DJI online store to southeaster US says arrival date of 16 April.  So not bad at all.  Again, I'm going to have to pass.  Fingers crossed your Argo store will have them either today or tomorrow.

They offer a 14 day return so you could try it and return it if you did hate it.  
4-11 05:59
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-11 05:59
They offer a 14 day return so you could try it and return it if you did hate it.

I think I'm going to take Depp's recommendation and borrow a friend's Avata and give it a try again.  If it works, and I think that is a big IF, then I'll look at buying the Avata 2.  By then any kinks will have been ID and worked out.  
4-11 06:30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-11 06:30
I think I'm going to take Depp's recommendation and borrow a friend's Avata and give it a try again.  If it works, and I think that is a big IF, then I'll look at buying the Avata 2.  By then any kinks will have been ID and worked out.

Its a shame you're not near a DJI shop as they might have goggles 3 you could try too.  
4-11 06:39
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-11 06:39
Its a shame you're not near a DJI shop as they might have goggles 3 you could try too.

I'm within driving distance of a DJI store but they said they sold out all their stock within 30 minutes of opening this morning and don't anticipate getting additional stock for 2-3 weeks.  
4-11 07:11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-11 07:11
I'm within driving distance of a DJI store but they said they sold out all their stock within 30 minutes of opening this morning and don't anticipate getting additional stock for 2-3 weeks.

Im sure they will get some more stock soon.  
4-12 01:05
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-12 01:05
Im sure they will get some more stock soon.

The Sales Manager told me that he thinks DJI under estimated the anticipated sales of the Avata 2 and now they will have to start emptying theirsupply warehouse to meet demand.  All three sites in the US are now back ordered.  
4-12 05:55
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules