Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
line of flight question and video
713 6 2015-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ibdronin
Second Officer

United States

Imagine you are flying line of flight and you approach trees that are 100 ft tall and you climb to 200 ft just to be safe, will you have issues with video if traveling over 10 acres duringthis time of flight?

I was told at the dealer where I made the purchase that you will have issues with video if you fly over the trees and come back down on the other side of the trees lower than 100ft where you have no line of sight other than video. Is this true?

2015-9-12
Use props
rwynant
lvl.1

United States

Basically......Yes

The TX and radio frequency generally don't do well going through things....trees, walls, etc.  This is why the AMA and FAA are stating that you fly LOS ( line of site )

UHF transmitters and FPV gear running UHF can do much better at going tru things....but 2.4 and 5.8 NOT SO MUCH.

Keep in mind, you CAN get lucky.......but then on the 4th attempt all hell breaks loose and you get Pissed.........well.....

Randy
www.sefsd.org
2015-9-12
Use props
ibdronin
Second Officer

United States

I understand and that makes since. But as long as I remain at 200ft altitude and not fall below the 100ft of the trees I should be able to continue flight without incidents and have live video correct?
2015-9-12
Use props
sultangris01
Second Officer

United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-9-13 05:32
Not quite.

Draw it on paper and you'll see.

This.  Depending on distance and thickness of trees you may still be able to fly behind trees safely, but range will be severely shortened.  if you attempt this id make sure your RTH height setting is well above the tree height jsut in case.  Its pretty easy to safely test if youre standing close to the trees and watch your signal strength as you fly further away and stop or fly straight up before you lose signal.  It wont end well if your a mile from the trees and fly behind them, you will likely lose signal instantly in that case.  Ive flown within 1/4 mile while blocked by some trees without issue.
2015-9-13
Use props
ibdronin
Second Officer

United States

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback. There is a small 10-12 acre track on one part of the land that I wanted to fly over if above 200ft to fly over toward the other side of the land.
The trees are about 100ft tall give or take a little. I'll think this over, far before I ever attempt this. I just figured if the inspire 1 was above 200-250ft that it would still keep airborne
without issues due to being in line of flight far above from the trees. Wish me luck I plan to take her out this afternoon and fly in open land with no trees around. We also have mountains around us on our land. But for now I will practice on wide open land that I can see for miles.

Thanks to @paul - @sultangris01 @rwynant for the big help in taking the time out to explain!
2015-9-13
Use props
sultangris01
Second Officer

United States

That distance shouldnt give you any problems, just remember objects are closer than they appear on screen and there is slight video lag so fly slow and stay away from things if trying to fly FPV without actual line of sight to the bird.  Its not recommended for beginners to try this until they fully understand the behavior and lag times and being proficient in flying atti mode in case of gps signal loss, but if youre a few hundred feet from anything theres very little risk.
2015-9-13
Use props
Machoman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

Flying behind 20 trees rahter near I didnt loose signal but flying behind a wood 500m aways I soon lost video signal - while I am not sure RC signal was still ok. Anyway I try to avoid this,
2015-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules