Who's going to buy the Avata 2 on launch day April 11?
12Next >
2720 40 4-6 13:36
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Single SelectVote, Total 45 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

44.44% (20)
26.67% (12)
15.56% (7)
13.33% (6)
Your user group with no voting privileges
4-6 13:36
Use props
aoe2paladin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1823077 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sold my Avata 1 back in October in anticipation for Avata 2 release based on typical 2 year release cycle.

Top reasons I am upgrading based on what is available so far

- O4 telemetry and wide band, farther range / better penetration
- Lower center of gravity, enhanced flight stability
- Larger camera sensor, enhanced low light performance
- Slightly faster speeds, hopefully deals with wind better
- Least-charged batteries can fast charge the most-charged battery to make one battery fly-ready faster !!!- Attached image is a nice touch also, just pushes me over the edge   :-D

Things I am worried about

- Forehead pad on Goggles 3, worry this won't allow it to be tight against my face
- Will have to buy FPV Remote 3 to achieve O4
- Hope it is compatible with FPV and Mini 3 Pro drones so I can sell my Integra goggles / FPV Remote 2

UPDATE : more info regarding battery accumulation feature above
--------
The new DJI Avata 2 Two-Way Charging Hub3 features a power accumulation function, allowing the transfer of remaining power from multiple batteries to the one with the highest charge level,10 giving you an "extra battery" in critical moments.

10 DO NOT connect the charger, connect external devices, or insert/remove any batteries during power accumulation.
--------

https://dronexl.co/2024/04/06/dji-avata-2-key-specs-and-features/

Avata 2 USB Port

Avata 2 USB Port
4-6 19:16
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Latest news from another thread, apparently there is a rumored DJI FPV 2 on the roadmap.  LOL
4-6 20:21
Use props
aoe2paladin
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 4-6 20:21
Latest news from another thread, apparently there is a rumored DJI FPV 2 on the roadmap.  LOL

I have the old potato, still buying the Avata 2!  At least wait 6 months before releasing the FPV 2, I can't afford two drones right now...
4-6 21:44
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Assuming my local Argos store has these on launch day Im on in,    or at least it may be the day after.
4-6 23:21
Use props
nightfly
lvl.4

Romania

Latest news from another thread, apparently there is a rumored DJI FPV 2 on the roadmap.  LOL

where did you see that?
4-7 06:10
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

nightfly Posted at 4-7 06:10
where did you see that?

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=310443
4-7 06:50
Use props
nightfly
lvl.4

Romania

The Saint Posted at 4-7 06:50
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=310443

thank you for the link !
i will post my opinion about this on that thread
4-7 10:44
Use props
nightfly
lvl.4

Romania

aoe2paladin Posted at 4-6 19:16
Sold my Avata 1 back in October in anticipation for Avata 2 release based on typical 2 year release cycle.

Top reasons I am upgrading based on what is available so far

i dont think it will be compatible with mini3p
for sure it will be with mini4p and air3
4-7 12:59
Use props
djiuser_7WV4ByA
lvl.1
Flight distance : 137451 ft
United States

aoe2paladin Posted at 4-6 21:44
I have the old potato, still buying the Avata 2!  At least wait 6 months before releasing the FPV 2, I can't afford two drones right now...

I have great fun with my potato, but Im thinking of picking up the new avata day 1. Hopefully my local best buy has them ready to sell 9am that morning. If so Ill load it in my cart and pick it up that day. They have a return policy.
4-7 17:11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I need a new option.
No, I will never buy a FPV drone
4-9 08:24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 4-9 08:24
I need a new option.
No, I will never buy a FPV drone

Never say never, I thought I wouldn't....until i did.

I'm thinking perhaps one days the likes of the Mavic series drones will perform like FPV drones and there is no need to have two classes of drones.  I don't think FPV mode in Mavic/Mini does it justice but if we can combine the two so you can choose the greatness of the Mavic cinematic stable flight or the nimble, high speed (maybe not acro), agile flight of the FPV with goggles.....I'd pay for that!
4-9 08:50
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

The Saint Posted at 4-9 08:50
Never say never, I thought I wouldn't....until i did.

I'm thinking perhaps one days the likes of the Mavic series drones will perform like FPV drones and there is no need to have two classes of drones.  I don't think FPV mode in Mavic/Mini does it justice but if we can combine the two so you can choose the greatness of the Mavic cinematic stable flight or the nimble, high speed (maybe not acro), agile flight of the FPV with goggles.....I'd pay for that!

With the current rules in NL for FPV flying, I need to stay away 150m from about anything man made. So I can only fly in wide open fields (boring).
And I need a spotter, which makes it even less practical .
4-9 09:11
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 4-9 09:11
With the current rules in NL for FPV flying, I need to stay away 150m from about anything man made. So I can only fly in wide open fields (boring).

Here in the US we need a spotter as well but maybe the Goggles 3 will take care of that?

Stay away for 150m anything manmade, that is insane!
4-9 09:31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

The Saint Posted at 4-9 09:31
Here in the US we need a spotter as well but maybe the Goggles 3 will take care of that?

Stay away for 150m anything manmade, that is insane!

Just for FPV. If you can keep an eye on the drone yourself, the rules are much less strict.
So that is why I would opt for the option : never
4-9 11:15
Use props
Fozando
lvl.4
Flight distance : 682438 ft
Spain

First the reviews, then time to decide what to do
4-11 03:50
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Order placed and it'll arrive tomorrow from B&H. Get those Controller 3's whilst you can!
4-11 05:08
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Still have to pass on buying Avata 2 on launch date.  Gotta wait to see how it goes and certainly don't want to pay full price for a kit I know for sure will reduce.  Right now I'm focused on Spring 2025.

Normally I would buy the RC3 knowing they could be in short supply but I honestly think there will be a FPV 2 with RC3 in the package which is a must buy.
4-11 06:01
Use props
aoe2paladin
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Picked up from local Best Buy 4 hours after launch.  Watched a bunch of reputable reviewers, but none really went into detail on form / fit / function and very little flight feedback, obviously they need to spread the review data into as many videos as possible for the clicks and short attention spans.  Here are my opinions after flying a couple of batteries

Range = Have not tested yet, did interfere badly with my Mini 3 Pro video during circle video
Video = CRYSTAL CLEAR, MORE VIBRANT COLOR, haven't flown in low light yet
Noise = noticeably quieter / lower pitched
Wind Resistance = better, less angle / wobble, will test at beach in 2 weeks
Speed = +5 MPH in SPORT mode is a nice gift
Crash Resistance = Don't plan on testing this, just registered Care Refresh purely for catastrophic failures
Battery Life = better on paper, need to get past 10 cycles to confirm, definitely not worse
Battery fitment = much easier to remove / install, less likely to fall out
USB-C port = way better placement, you can now push on the MicroSD card to remove it instead of needing to shove something pointy in there
FPV RC 3 = won't arrive until Monday
MC 3 = smaller, laser pointer control in goggles is cool, no need to fiddle with goggles controls
Goggles 3 = hate it, don't like the goggles loosely "hanging" on my face since the forehead piece is now the point of tension, had to add the forehead extender as my eyes were touching lens, regardless it is good with light bleed and doesn't make marks on your face, most reviewers love it, I'm sure I'll get used to it, the FOV of the real view is very limited (about 12 inches on tape measure at arms length in 3D mode and 10 inches in 2D mode) [arm length will vary by user] lol
Soft Case = Perfect size for all items (remove MC3 and RC3 will fit well), saved a bunch over the $200 custom hard case I had to buy for Avata 1, now actually prefer the soft cases

Tumble = I don't fly manual (yet), so don't care, but reviewers seem to say it is less pronounced

As someone who took the Avata 1 everywhere I went, I think DJI has done a great job at fixing the major pain points of the Avata 1.  Do not regret purchase, would buy on just the camera improvement alone.

4-12 08:17
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

aoe2paladin Posted at 4-12 08:17
Picked up from local Best Buy 4 hours after launch.  Watched a bunch of reputable reviewers, but none really went into detail on form / fit / function and very little flight feedback, obviously they need to spread the review data into as many videos as possible for the clicks and short attention spans.  Here are my opinions after flying a couple of batteries

Range = Have not tested yet, did interfere badly with my Mini 3 Pro video during circle video

Thanks for the review especially coming from a previous Avata 1 owner.  Everything you mentioned is good news and I look forward to getting Avata 2 one day.  I think I will enjoy the extra speed in S-mode and the resistance to wind (which in the windy season makes the Avata 1 no fun)...saying that as I sit here from just coming back flying Avata1 with my ear ringing annoyed by the high pitch.  It's funny how so many Avata 1 complaints werent exactly "complaints" yesterday.  

Did you get a chance to check out PiP?
4-12 11:03
Use props
fans32c7cb36
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1326916 ft
United States

Already in hand!
4-12 11:52
Use props
Godfrey Massa
New

Malta

Seems everyone that ordered the avata 2 got it delivered except me. I ordered the avata 2 with the 3 batteries and separately the rc3 only 10 minutes after launch. To date everything is still stuck somewhere at DJI even though they estimated shipping for yesterday and it seems talking to support is like talking to a robot. They wanted to offer me 20 DJI credits but I want the drone not credits.  Am in the EU btw. Last time I order from them.
4-13 06:11
Use props
aoe2paladin
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 4-12 11:03
Thanks for the review especially coming from a previous Avata 1 owner.  Everything you mentioned is good news and I look forward to getting Avata 2 one day.  I think I will enjoy the extra speed in S-mode and the resistance to wind (which in the windy season makes the Avata 1 no fun)...saying that as I sit here from just coming back flying Avata1 with my ear ringing annoyed by the high pitch.  It's funny how so many Avata 1 complaints werent exactly "complaints" yesterday.  

Did you get a chance to check out PiP?

In 2D mode (one RealView camera ON), it does show a little PIP in the upper left and you can barely make out the OSD text.  I wouldn't fly by this since you can't make out any detail in the aircraft surroundings, but it is helpful to see that the aircraft hasn't gone bonkers.  In 3D mode (both RealView cameras ON), there is no PIP.  I haven't found a way to record the RealView via screen recording or goggles recording, it simply records the aircraft video instead with no overlay.

Namely because of the extremely narrow FOV of the goggles cameras, I feel like this is merely a gimmicky function.  The aircraft camera can have a 155º FOV, but the goggles cameras can only have a 44º FOV??  I would pay a little extra to have a proper minimum of at least 100º FOV on RealView, then it would probably be usable.  Maybe in the off chance, this is a firmware restriction for the time being, I did hear rumor that the release was rushed.
4-13 21:23
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14860804 ft
United States

DON'T YOU TEASE ME!!!!

LOL
4-13 22:16
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14860804 ft
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 4-9 09:11
With the current rules in NL for FPV flying, I need to stay away 150m from about anything man made. So I can only fly in wide open fields (boring).

I have soo many voices in my head, I always have a spotter.

Stop talking about us!
No, he can talk about us if he wants to!
Who asked the two of you!

I'm sure the FAA would agree I have that part covered. lol
4-13 22:25
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 4-6 23:21
Assuming my local Argos store has these on launch day Im on in,    or at least it may be the day after.

Amazon already has the DJI Avata 2, but only one is left in stock.
4-14 00:22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

SgtRay Posted at 4-13 22:25
I have soo many voices in my head, I always have a spotter.

Stop talking about us!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Good one.
4-14 00:35
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

USER001 Posted at 4-14 00:22
Amazon already has the DJI Avata 2, but only one is left in stock. [view_image]

Argos had loads this morning for 9am delivery at store collection for tomorrow.   I managed to collect mine a day early.
4-14 05:14
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 4-14 05:14
Argos had loads this morning for 9am delivery at store collection for tomorrow.   I managed to collect mine a day early.

Did you get it for free with your nectar points? I don't do nectar points so I just buy from Amazon or DJI Store.
4-14 05:20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

USER001 Posted at 4-14 05:20
Did you get it for free with your nectar points? I don't do nectar points so I just buy from Amazon or DJI Store.

Yes,   nectar is covering this one,    it pays to buy petrol and stuff and collect them,  especially now as they have lower prices for having a nectar card.
4-14 05:38
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 4-14 05:38
Yes,   nectar is covering this one,    it pays to buy petrol and stuff and collect them,  especially now as they have lower prices for having a nectar card.

How do you collect nectar points?
4-14 05:49
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

USER001 Posted at 4-14 05:49
How do you collect nectar points?

I swipe my nectar card when I make purchases or buy fuel and I collect them on eBay and with the nectar credit card.  By using the nectar card I already collect £4 from just the avata purchase.  
4-14 05:54
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 4-14 05:54
I swipe my nectar card when I make purchases or buy fuel and I collect them on eBay and with the nectar credit card.  By using the nectar card I already collect £4 from just the avata purchase.

With DJI you would have made £8.99. You get 1% DJI Credit on any purchase you make from DJI Store.
4-14 05:56
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

USER001 Posted at 4-14 05:56
With DJI you would have made £8.99. You get 1% DJI Credit on any purchase you make from DJI Store.

But it wouldn't have been free.  And 1% of £1045 is not £8.99.
4-14 06:05
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 4-14 06:05
But it wouldn't have been free.  And 1% of £1045 is not £8.99.

Oh, you got the Flu More Combo. For the other one it is £899.
4-14 06:07
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

USER001 Posted at 4-14 06:07
Oh, you got the Flu More Combo. For the other one it is £899.

Yes,   One battery is not really going to last me very long.    And I hope these arent limited to the 100 charge cycles that the DJI FPV drone batteries are limited to.  I never checked that.
4-14 06:09
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 4-14 06:09
Yes,   One battery is not really going to last me very long.    And I hope these arent limited to the 100 charge cycles that the DJI FPV drone batteries are limited to.  I never checked that.

You're right. I should have also got the Flt More Combo. I thought I will buy the charging hub and the two batteries later but that would have made it more expensive. I was in such a rush while buying it.
4-14 06:12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

USER001 Posted at 4-14 06:12
You're right. I should have also got the Flt More Combo. I thought I will buy the charging hub and the two batteries later but that would have made it more expensive. I was in such a rush while buying it.

I didnt get that choice as Argos only had the 3 battery combo although they list it as 2
4-14 06:13
Use props
USER001
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 4-14 06:13
I didnt get that choice as Argos only had the 3 battery combo although they list it as 2

People who had one job but failed
4-14 06:15
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-14 06:09
Yes,   One battery is not really going to last me very long.    And I hope these arent limited to the 100 charge cycles that the DJI FPV drone batteries are limited to.  I never checked that.

Manual states 200 cycles. I flew three batteries yesterday and they really don't seem to get very hot. Battery three stats.
4-14 06:31
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules