Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Autopilot Flight Logic Doesn't Cache Maps
2364 6 2015-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Outlander0088
lvl.3

United States

First let me start off by saying this thread isn't intended to point out faults with Autopilot's latest 2.0 release. The only purpose is to let prospective buyers know a limitation of the application.  I would still recommend the application.

That said, the application currently uses Apple maps to display the local area which doesn't cache maps in the background. I fly in areas where I don't have wifi and really do not want to use my dataplan while I fly. So for me, this is a limitation but not a show stopper.

I spoke with Autopilot support and they are working to leverage Google Maps that will allow for caching locally. The representative indicated the functionality may be availble in the next release.

I still like the application but for now, I use it without seeing my local area while I fly.

2015-9-13
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

dji pilot doesnt cache maps either, you need to cache them in the map app, such as google maps.  the app simply connects to the map app to get the map data, it doesnt store the data itself.  I would think the autopilot would work the same way.  try that and see what happens, or are you saying that apple maps does not allow you to cache the map data at all?

Why dont you want to use your data plan? it wont use any significant amount of data to download current map data.  It wont affect flight at all either, i use my phone to fly and my data connection is always active.
2015-9-13
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-9-13 12:20
I think it's the Apple Maps software that's broken.
Both the DJI and AutoFlight Logic software rel ...

fair enough, i found another thread that suggests apple maps cant cache and the apple version of dji pilot does allow for this and has the ability to cache the map itself.  android dji pilot doesnt have this feature as google maps can cache itself.  In this case id say the fault is on the autopilot app for not seeing this problem and providing a solution like the dji app does for apple.  

It is interesting the differences in versions, i wish dji would fix their android app.  the connection to google maps has caused many issues with lag/stuttering when the android OS lolipop upgrade came out and dji didnt allow for these changes in the pilot app that the apple version doesnt have because it can utilize cached maps instead of more processor intensive live connection to another app for this data.  It seems like they have two different teams working on each OS app version and neither one communicates with each other to produce an app on both with the same features, pretty disappointing.  Doesnt make much sense to me why the android version seems to have less features and more problems when android is by far the more capable and widely used platform worldwide.  It should be better, or at the very least have the same functions as the apple app, i dont get it, lol
2015-9-13
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-9-13 12:54
>  i found another thread that suggests apple maps cant cache and the apple version of dji pilot ...

lol, indeed, dji needs some major quality improvement, theres no doubt about that.
2015-9-13
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Autopilot will be switching to google maps in their next major release.  That should solve multiple issues, including a lack of caching the maps.
2015-9-13
Use props
PCTInspire
lvl.3

United Kingdom

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-9-13 18:54
>  i found another thread that suggests apple maps cant cache and the apple version of dji pilot ...

Tend to disagree with your comments Paul, caching of the Maps prior to flight via your home broadband is a very simple matter and avoids worrying about cellular reception. I've used this method aboard and in the UK without any issue, it does the job, clear and simple, DJI bashing isn't warranted on this occasion.
2015-9-13
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

PCTInspire Posted at 2015-9-14 04:53
Tend to disagree with your comments Paul, caching of the Maps prior to flight via your home broadb ...

It's no secret that there have been problems/bugs in every app and firmware release, some existing for multiple versions without being fixed, dji software needs some major improvements, bashing is always warranted until such time they can release a quality product and/or provide fixes in a timely manner, which to date they've been unable to accomplish.
2015-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules