Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
External GPS Device - A Must-Have Accessory?
933 2 2015-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HunterBrooks
Second Officer

United States

I had my first unexpected landing today - hit some tall grassy weeds in the mountains and the P3 gently flipped over and landed on its back.  Not even a scratch, and it flew perfectly afterwards.  I used my iPad's GPS to track its location since the P3 was still powered on - GPS lead me right to it.

But it got me thinking, if the battery had popped out, it could have taken me all day to do a grid search.  Even with GPS leading me right to it, it wasn't until I was about 15' away that I could physically see it.

So the question is, how neccessary is an external GPS device like Trackimo if the P3 is powered off and hidden from view.  Couldn't I just use the map in the Flight Log to see its last known position.  I can't seem to come up with a realistic scenario where the Flight Log wouldn't get me within a 10-30' radius of its final resting spot.  I mean, I can come up with 100 "non-realistic" scenarios like the battery popped out AND my tablet died AND the receiver broke AND blah blah blah .... you get the point.

Realistically, is an external GPS device really a must-have accessory now that true "fly-aways" are somewhat a thing of the past?  

Thanks!

2015-9-13
Use props
rayrokni
Captain
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

imo, waste of money.
2015-9-13
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

Get a Bluetooth key tag that they sell at Walmart for location using a cellphone and if you are near it you will know that you are getting closer. Look it up, it's cheap and very light , since we can locate the phantom to almost 15 feet then the rest is pinpointing.
2015-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules