Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Remove 500m limit for the Intelligent Flight Modes?
123Next >
16702 92 2015-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

Photo by Adamastor
Single SelectVote, Total 533 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2015-9-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

We have some of the safest and most trusted technology today...

When it works as projected & expected.

RedHotPoker
2015-9-14
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

This limit 500m should be removed for all modes. High fly is the risk of drone operator.
2015-9-14
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

i feel for you man, but i believe 1/2km for ioc is good, dont forget this is supposed to be a video platform, so anything u want to video can be within 500m radius!!
and you know whats going to happen if they dont put a limit on it.! we would have P3s falling out of the sky and then no one is going to be able to fly unless inside their home!!!
BTW choice 3 should be over not under
2015-9-14
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

Kyokushin Posted at 2015-9-14 16:46
This limit 500m should be removed for all modes. High fly is the risk of drone operator.

he is talking about 500m for ioc not height
2015-9-14
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Poland

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-14 10:51
he is talking about 500m for ioc not height

OK, my fault.
And yes, limit should be removed also for IOC.
2015-9-14
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

Kyokushin Posted at 2015-9-14 17:03
OK, my fault.
And yes, limit should be removed also for IOC.

i knew that was going to be the answer. LOL
i hope you get what u want.
even though i dont think its a logical thing for ioc to be more than 1/2km,  i also hate being told what to do! so i feel your frustration!!
2015-9-14
Use props
KaiserSoze9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 34753871 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Kyokushin Posted at 2015-9-14 10:46

Not only. 500mt is a risk for ultralight planes also.
2015-9-14
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54905 ft
  • >>>
Canada

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-14 04:49
i feel for you man, but i believe 1/2km for ioc is good, dont forget this is supposed to be a video  ...

I also feel that this is a mobile video camera, but what about the pizza delivery guy ;-)
I think it should be in a system parameter to enable or disable.
Bat
2015-9-14
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Poland

KaiserSoze9 Posted at 2015-9-14 14:14
Not only. 500mt is a risk for ultralight planes also.

Drone operator should have a BVLOS licence or he should fly VLOS. This is responsibility of operator.
Cars can achieve almost 300km/h, but there is 140 km/h limit in most of countries and the driver is responsible for safety and limited speed, not car.
2015-9-14
Use props
Bartone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53458 ft
United States

Kyokushin Posted at 2015-9-14 08:09
Drone operator should have a BVLOS licence or he should fly VLOS. This is responsibility of operat ...

And some jerk traveling at 300 kph is going to kill people. We have police and radar to protect against that - not so for drones. There's no comparison between flying drones and driving cars.
2015-9-14
Use props
Brandon00151
lvl.3
Flight distance : 119137 ft
United States

Since you have to set your waypoints by flying to them first you pretty much drain your battery if you had to fly out  over 500m to set a waypoint. We should be able to set them from the tablet.
2015-9-14
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

capbat Posted at 2015-9-14 22:41
I also feel that this is a mobile video camera, but what about the pizza delivery guy ;-)
I think  ...

i am normally, as you maybe able to tell from some threads and replies, very anti "oh lets make a law and strangle liberty even more". Governments are treating people as little children who need to be kept on a short leash.
anyways, i dont know why i have fallen in to the trap of agreeing to restrict the users in the quad world. i am sure its because i think at the moment any negative publicity due to mis-use would end up with even more restrictions and bans.
realistically though "kyokushin" and many others are right; why build a car that goes 200mph when it is dangerous to do so in any public area? bottom line: accidents do happen in every facet of life, there are irresponsible people using technology and machinery in irresponsible ways WHY ARE WE BEING SO RESTRICTED?
answer: because it is a new thing and mis-informed people and our beloved media are blowing things way out of proportion.
wholly cow, this little subject can be discussed for ever!!
2015-9-14
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

Brandon00151 Posted at 2015-9-15 00:08
Since you have to set your waypoints by flying to them first you pretty much drain your battery if y ...

my opinion on this:
p3 and its waypoints, is a photography platform. people using the p3 for that purpose would not have an issue to use one battery to setup waypoints and then use a second battery to fly that waypoint, thus enabling them to concentrate on shooting their videos or pix instead of having to fly and video, which in most cases ends up with not so good flying or videoing!
example: i am doing a video for my friend's company's employee appreciation day, where there are going to be around 200 people outside amongst trees, electric/tel poles, parkes cars and other obstacles. so what i have done is went out yesterday and cordoned off the area i will be flying the p3 so no one would enter the danger zone as i will be flying at less than 30'. i setup the waypoints maneuvering between obstacles. i tested the route a few times to make sure all is good and safe.yes, i know accidents can happen at any time and that is why i do my best to be safe but dont dwell on all the IFs, otherwise better stay in bed and not get out of the house at all.
when i return later this week, i wont have to worry about all the obstacles and people, will just concentrate on shooting the video and pix. i will have spotters also to make sure no one enters the cordoned off area.
2015-9-14
Use props
jaronpv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 723776 ft
United States

Some of my favorite drone videos to watch are typically of close-up items.  In many cases, probably with the drone mere meters from the operator!  I agree, i'm a fan of the long range flight, but the better we all manage our flights and make sure we dont give complainers any fuel to add to the drone-law fire, the better our flying future will be!  For the time being, maybe the 500 m restriction will help us keep our flight freedoms!
2015-9-14
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

jaronpv@hotmail Posted at 2015-9-15 03:20
Some of my favorite drone videos to watch are typically of close-up items.  In many cases, probably  ...

couldnt agree more!!

see what u think of this thread and give us your 2cents worth

http://forum.dji.com/thread-31190-1-1.html
2015-9-14
Use props
NorthernLoop
lvl.2
Flight distance : 300246 ft
United Kingdom

No, in the UK we have a limit of 120m
2015-9-14
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

How many people voted "NO" thinking the poll was for height restrictions? Perhaps I should restart the poll. :/

Either way, the majority wants over 500 so far.
2015-9-14
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

I understand why it's there, but I don't like geofencing of any type. It makes me feel like I don't have control of my own machine
2015-9-14
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

i think a 1km limit is enough for safety reasons.  Add spotters and repeaters then further is fine.  i've seen too many people flying at least 1.5 km and they were dangerous.
2015-9-14
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Poland

Bartone Posted at 2015-9-14 17:56
And some jerk traveling at 300 kph is going to kill people. We have police and radar to protect ag ...

This is good comprasition, because Your phantom mass is over 1 kg and car is 1,5t. There is very small chance to hit something, and a smaller chance to cause catastrophical damage on plane via drone like a phantom.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/fear-dr ... rline-pilot-1515001

Bicycle is more dangerous, because you can hit the bus, bus drive would try to avoid,hit the tree and kill people inside.

And a Police radar will not  ressurect You when some jerk will drive 300km/h and hit You.

If some jerk would like to kill people via drone or airplane, he will do that.
Hardware limitation will affect only You, not jerk.
2015-9-14
Use props
clive
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41969 ft
United Kingdom

NorthernLoop Posted at 2015-9-15 02:42
No, in the UK we have a limit of 120m

They're talking distance away, not height.
2015-9-14
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1361040 ft
United States

I'm not a fan of anyone setting limitations to "force" me to follow their rules.  Cars and speed limits are a great example.  I don't need the government/mfg to protect me from myself, that is for me to do.  To satisfy both sides, put the limit in there, then if you want to turn it off, have it give a warning of "Are you sure" so that it is TRULY a KNOWN fact that the pilot has bypassed the limit.  This will protect the unexperienced and the ones who want to follow every guideline to a "T".  If you are in a scenario that you need more, and you have taken precautions, you can override.  The PILOT is the one in control, he should have control as he is also taking on the responsibility of the flight.
2015-9-15
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

kleake1@gmail.c Posted at 2015-9-15 23:45
I'm not a fan of anyone setting limitations to "force" me to follow their rules.  Cars and speed lim ...

Also a very valid opinion. just the same as the Max height limit of 120m but we are given the opyion to go as high as 500M by clicking on "yes" to the warning!!
2015-9-15
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

Kyokushin Posted at 2015-9-15 14:39
This is good comprasition, because Your phantom mass is over 1 kg and car is 1,5t. There is very sm ...

Good points. The jerk will always be a jerk, if not with a phantom3 then maybe some other quad!! and in the eyes of the media, they are all the same!!
restricting normal responsible people is not an answer to combat JERKS. notonly in the quad world but anything else in life.
how many people do we know of that drink and drive, the sheer momentum of a car will do much more damage than a 2lb flying object!
2015-9-15
Use props
Phuglie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

I'm happy with my purchase - I knew the restrictions before I purchased it and don't see why they should be lifted. There are more 'professional' models available for purchase - they are, admittedly, more expensive - but the P3 was marketed and presented as a 'bird' that was easier to fly for the new flyer - like me! It's the same with shopping for a bra - if it says 38C on the ticket and I put it on and it fits - I cant suddenly write to the manufacturer and request that they make it bigger because I pigged out on chips for a whole month! I know a lot of you won't agree - but I don't care.
2015-9-15
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

Phuglie Posted at 2015-9-16 02:39
I'm happy with my purchase - I knew the restrictions before I purchased it and don't see why they sh ...

easiest in case you do pig out on chips for a month, is to go braless
2015-9-15
Use props
markfrank
lvl.3
Flight distance : 100331 ft
France

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-14 10:49
i feel for you man, but i believe 1/2km for ioc is good, dont forget this is supposed to be a video  ...

Dont agree!  In France scenario S2 permit to send a drone 1km from the operator. So if DSAC  (civil aviation security direction ) are OK, why DJI dont?
2015-9-15
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

markfrank Posted at 2015-9-16 03:52
Dont agree!  In France scenario S2 permit to send a drone 1km from the operator. So if DSAC  (civi ...

keep reading the following posts
2015-9-15
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

markfrank Posted at 2015-9-16 03:52
Dont agree!  In France scenario S2 permit to send a drone 1km from the operator. So if DSAC  (civi ...

DJI Has seen that too many novices  purchasing the p3 and without any knowledge of flying or all the pre planning that should be done before take off have crashed. so they have opted to restrict their software to 500m so P3s wouldnt be dropping out of the sky.
2015-9-15
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

Phuglie Posted at 2015-9-16 04:39
I'm happy with my purchase - I knew the restrictions before I purchased it and don't see why they sh ...

You knew the IFC would be restricted to 500m beforehand? Damn women's intuition. I wish men had that. (Jk)

In regards to the bra analogy.., don't they have 3 seperate hooks you can choose from, to connect the back? (this is why I hate analogys, metaphors and similes etc. distracts from the specific details of the problem and introduces conversations about cars, fuel, rego, cops etc.)

I prefer the Phantom 3 over the larger drones, for a variety of reasons.
However, I don't think my choice of size should determine the aircrafts limits. One could argue that a larger drone would be more dangerous operation away from Line Of Sight.
2015-9-15
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

markfrank Posted at 2015-9-16 05:52

We don't seem to have a distance law in Australia. We have very tight gun restrictions, however we don't force this on other countries.
2015-9-15
Use props
Sling Shot
lvl.3

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-14 10:08
my opinion on this:
p3 and its waypoints, is a photography platform. people using the p3 for that p ...

Excellent!!....good for you Ray!
2015-9-16
Use props
Phuglie
lvl.4
United Kingdom

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-15 20:03
easiest in case you do pig out on chips for a month, is to go braless

Thanks - I'll bear that in mind next time I want to make my fellow work colleagues a little nauseous!
2015-9-16
Use props
Phuglie
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Kit Walker Posted at 2015-9-15 21:52
You knew the IFC would be restricted to 500m beforehand? Damn women's intuition. I wish men had tha ...

I like the size and capacity of the P3 - I bought it to take video and as such I will be near to what I'm videoing so 500m limit ti more than enough for me.

Glad to note you know so much about bras (jk)
2015-9-16
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

Phuglie Posted at 2015-9-17 07:07
I like the size and capacity of the P3 - I bought it to take video and as such I will be near to w ...

Same, its a nifty little piece of hardware. But its potential is big.
For me.., Australia is huge. My property is massive, and sits in between crown land, state forests and national parks for thousands of kilometres.

I do see your point of view. It will be very dangerous.., especially as more people buy drones.
But then.., I also want less restrictions for myself. Perhaps there is a way to reduce the risk.

P.S. I wasn't sure about the bra thing. I usually give up and let the girl take it off.
2015-9-16
Use props
Joe Blow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-15 05:39
couldnt agree more!!

see what u think of this thread and give us your 2cents worth

Government restrictions or any restriction normally never ease in scope, they start out and then get more restrictive.  I recently flew waypoints for the first time and I find its almost useless, for my missions, with the 500 meter restriction.  It is what it is.
2015-9-16
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

Joe Blow Posted at 2015-9-17 07:08
Government restrictions or any restriction normally never ease in scope, they start out and then g ...

i suppose we gotta go Litchi then
2015-9-16
Use props
Joe Blow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-17 08:19
i suppose we gotta go Litchi then

Ray, I'm considering Litchi.........
2015-9-17
Use props
Emilevdw
lvl.1

Sint Maarten

With these limits, DJI is giving competitors an opening with a -for many- interesting value proposition. The approach from DJI is understandable but to rigid. Many German cars are limited to 250KM p/h but its easy to take of the limiter.

If I would be DJI, I would let laws and regulations restrict the pilots but I would never restrict my valuable customers. Create an extra service; DJI flight lessons + a theoretical exam.
DJI pilots are smarter and more responsible pilots!
2015-9-17
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules