o(^-^)o
fichek
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1100308 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

Well, my son likes it too much, gonna have to get another one

avata2-stolen.jpeg

He even picked up the FPV RC3 today (we had FPV Goggles V2 with the old Avata which were a bit too big and heavy for him so he had to hold them with one hand and could only fly with Motion Controller since he had just one hand free). Next step Manual mode

5-15 09:01
Use props
OddjobSurveyor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1811549 ft
United States

What ended up occuring? Glad to hear of fun times!
5-15 09:13
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

OddjobSurveyor Posted at 5-15 09:13
What ended up occuring? Glad to hear of fun times!

Nothing, I just couldn't get a turn because he didn't wanna stop flying it

"Daddy this is now my drone, you can follow me around with the Mini"

avata2-from-mini2se.jpeg

5-15 09:17
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 6260171 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, that's cool.  Usually the way it happens; get hooked....buy more drones!!!  Good for DJI for putting out a drone which is *that* much fun.
5-15 09:33
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 15095994 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The best way to lose a drone is for your son to take it! Chip off the old block as we say! Best of luck to him - especially in manual mode!
One of the great things about drones is anyone can fly them - whether you're 8 or 80 makes no difference.
5-15 10:00
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

A J Posted at 5-15 10:00
The best way to lose a drone is for your son to take it! Chip off the old block as we say! Best of luck to him - especially in manual mode!
One of the great things about drones is anyone can fly them - whether you're 8 or 80 makes no difference.

He technically started at 8 months with a tiny whoop and a helmet

But yeah it wasn't until Avata 1 (at 6yo) when he took some real interest, and now with Goggles 3 fitting his head much better, Avata 2 is an absolute hit. Definitely gonna have to save up for another one now, or hopefully FPV 2 comes out soon
5-15 10:11
Use props
OddjobSurveyor
lvl.4
United States

fichek Posted at 5-15 09:17

Hey, rendezvous is a skill!
5-15 10:18
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

OddjobSurveyor Posted at 5-15 10:18
Hey, rendezvous is a skill!

Not sure if this is autocorrect gone rogue or I don't understand the phrase?
5-15 10:30
Use props
OddjobSurveyor
lvl.4
United States

fichek Posted at 5-15 10:30
Not sure if this is autocorrect gone rogue or I don't understand the phrase?

It's a term meaning meeting. NASA loves this word
5-15 10:45
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

OddjobSurveyor Posted at 5-15 10:45
It's a term meaning meeting. NASA loves this word

I know the word, just never seen it referred to as a skill sounds too abstract for non-native speakers I guess
5-15 10:49
Use props
tame421
lvl.2
Germany

Yo what the hell is that dream spot..
5-15 11:08
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

tame421 Posted at 5-15 11:08

For some reason it's not letting me say what it is
Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 21.14.00.png
5-15 11:12
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

tame421 Posted at 5-15 11:08

Here's my YT playlists with all my FPV flights from there, you can learn more in playlist description: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeNO7Y7DbdaLwHVqcv51zhVsG1D4mo-Zb
5-15 11:15
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fichek Posted at 5-15 10:11
He technically started at 8 months with a tiny whoop and a helmet

But yeah it wasn't until Avata 1 (at 6yo) when he took some real interest, and now with Goggles 3 fitting his head much better, Avata 2 is an absolute hit. Definitely gonna have to save up for another one now, or hopefully FPV 2 comes out soon

I see - so now you are technically without a drone your wife will be OK with the FPV2 lol
5-15 11:44
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

A J Posted at 5-15 11:44
I see - so now you are technically without a drone your wife will be OK with the FPV2 lol

Yeah, I'm afraid she will also be able to see through that plan
5-15 11:46
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fichek Posted at 5-15 11:46
Yeah, I'm afraid she will also be able to see through that plan

Hahahaha - I'm sure she won't object given how much it means to you and now that your son is on board too it's become a father/son bond. Enjoy! (I have a seven year old boy - he finds the drone fascinating but would rather ride horses).
5-15 11:54
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

A J Posted at 5-15 11:54
Hahahaha - I'm sure she won't object given how much it means to you and now that your son is on board too it's become a father/son bond. Enjoy! (I have a seven year old boy - he finds the drone fascinating but would rather ride horses).

Hehe, yeah, truth is she's happy I have a reasonably safe hobby (compared to downhill mtb I was into when we met), but it's still fun to joke about it
5-15 12:06
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fichek Posted at 5-15 12:06
Hehe, yeah, truth is she's happy I have a reasonably safe hobby (compared to downhill mtb I was into when we met), but it's still fun to joke about it

It's not a cheap hobby and that's where the other half comes in lol
"I'm just dropping a grand on a new flying toy today sweetheart".
WHAAAAAAT? AGAIN?
"Yeah, but I can fly this at 60mph and through forests after I ignore you for 3 months practicing on simulators"
5-15 12:10
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

A J Posted at 5-15 12:10
"I'm just dropping a grand on a new flying toy today sweetheart".
WHAAAAAAT? AGAIN?

Rofl, luckily I did my acro fpv practicing years ago so I don't have to lose points there
5-15 12:41
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-15 12:10
"I'm just dropping a grand on a new flying toy today sweetheart".
WHAAAAAAT? AGAIN?

5-15 13:09
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

You taught him so well that you lose the drone now.    Nice to see younger kids getting interested in drones.  
5-15 13:10
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-15 13:10
You taught him so well that you lose the drone now.    Nice to see younger kids getting interested in drones.

Yeah, how silly of me, should’ve kept my toys to myself

Haha jk ofc, I love it when he’s interested in same stuff as me. We’ve been building and playing with RC cars since he was 4yo, so Avata 2 might actually be a cheaper hobby in the long run, as long as it doesn’t lead to 15 other FPV drones :O
5-15 13:25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

fichek Posted at 5-15 13:25
Yeah, how silly of me, should’ve kept my toys to myself  

Haha jk ofc, I love it when he’s interested in same stuff as me. We’ve been building and playing with RC cars since he was 4yo, so Avata 2 might actually be a cheaper hobby in the long run, as long as it doesn’t lead to 15 other FPV drones :O

I hear you on that.  I have 6 Traxxas RC cars so I know how expensive that hobby can get.  
5-15 13:29
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-15 13:29
I hear you on that.  I have 6 Traxxas RC cars so I know how expensive that hobby can get.

We’re at *only* 5 Traxxases (we aren’t counting non-Traxxas, right? ). I never had an RC car as a kid so may have over-corrected a bit there
5-15 13:34
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

fichek Posted at 5-15 13:34
We’re at *only* 5 Traxxases (we aren’t counting non-Traxxas, right? ). I never had an RC car as a kid so may have over-corrected a bit there

Yes, that is 6 Traxxas and several generic brands.  I got into the hobby while stationed overseas at a somewhat boring duty station and since then the hobby has just really gotten out of control.  One of my grandkids was initially interested in my T-Maxx Classic and raced it with me on several weekends.  However, his time is now occupied with drumming for a local garage band.  
5-15 13:38
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-15 13:38
Yes, that is 6 Traxxas and several generic brands.  I got into the hobby while stationed overseas at a somewhat boring duty station and since then the hobby has just really gotten out of control.  One of my grandkids was initially interested in my T-Maxx Classic and raced it with me on several weekends.  However, his time is now occupied with drumming for a local garage band.
I’ve had lots of success getting my kid, nephews and our friends’ kids (but also grownups tbh ) interested in RC with those tiny Turbo Racing brand cars - 1:76 but fully proportional steering and throttle + working lights. They take virtually no space, these 9 + their foldable radios fit in one bag smaller than our second smallest RC car so we almost always bring them with us.

Drums are cool though, if I didn’t have neighbours (or hated them a lot), I’d try to talk my son into drums
IMG_1984.jpeg
5-15 13:45
Use props
OddjobSurveyor
lvl.4
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-15 13:29
Have they broken yet? Lol
5-15 18:10
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fichek Posted at 5-15 12:41
Rofl, luckily I did my acro fpv practicing years ago so I don't have to lose points there

We have a few rules such as not flying on weekends lol
5-15 21:52
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hahaha,  a chip off the old block.   
5-15 22:09
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

A J Posted at 5-15 21:52
We have a few rules such as not flying on weekends lol

That's perfect, UK weather is always the worst on the weekends anyway, innit?
5-15 22:59
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fichek Posted at 5-15 22:59
That's perfect, UK weather is always the worst on the weekends anyway, innit?

It always rains on a Sunday!
5-15 23:01
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

DAFlys Posted at 5-15 22:09
Hahaha,  a chip off the old block.

Hehe, he's always been a real mini me

slashes.jpeg
5-15 23:07
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

A J Posted at 5-15 23:01
It always rains on a Sunday!

Yeah, I got a few FPV buddies from UK and they always complain about how weather was fine all week when they had to work and now they can't fly during the weekend due to rain.

We're pretty lucky with rain most of the year here in Croatia. We usually even fly during the week from Christmas to New Year. I specifically remember (because of this clip from Avata 1 I posted https://mastodon.social/@fichek/109610767650142429) the last day of 2022 it was 18C sunny and there was like 30 people flying FPV drones and driving RC cars at our regular spot.
5-15 23:16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fichek Posted at 5-15 23:07
Hehe, he's always been a real mini me

[view_image]

5-15 23:17
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fichek Posted at 5-15 23:16
Yeah, I got a few FPV buddies from UK and they always complain about how weather was fine all week when they had to work and now they can't fly during the weekend due to rain.

We're pretty lucky with rain most of the year here in Croatia. We usually even fly during the week from Christmas to New Year. I specifically remember (because of this clip from Avata 1 I posted https://mastodon.social/@fichek/109610767650142429) the last day of 2022 it was 18C sunny and there was like 30 people flying FPV drones and driving RC cars at our regular spot.

Thats a classic - your friends are spot on!

The climate is certainly changing!

Anyway - doing my bit for the environment my lanyards 4,000 mile transatlantic postage trip from the US arrived at Stansted airport this morning via Dublin in Ireland. It's passed through import controls and is now at the UPS sorting office in southeast England! LOL The thing has travelled more than me this year!
5-16 00:16
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

A J Posted at 5-16 00:16
Anyway - doing my bit for the environment my lanyards 4,000 mile transatlantic postage trip from the US arrived at Stansted airport this morning via Dublin in Ireland. It's passed through import controls and is now at the UPS sorting office in southeast England! LOL The thing has travelled more than me this year!

I bet they also shipped it in a box bigger than one of those Alibaba modular homes ship in
5-16 00:23
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fichek Posted at 5-16 00:23
I bet they also shipped it in a box bigger than one of those Alibaba modular homes ship in

And probably placed it in a first class seat on the planes. LOL It's just crazy!
5-16 00:31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

fichek Posted at 5-15 13:45
I’ve had lots of success getting my kid, nephews and our friends’ kids (but also grownups tbh ) interested in RC with those tiny Turbo Racing brand cars - 1:76 but fully proportional steering and throttle + working lights. They take virtually no space, these 9 + their foldable radios fit in one bag smaller than our second smallest RC car so we almost always bring them with us.

Drums are cool though, if I didn’t have neighbours (or hated them a lot), I’d try to talk my son into drums

Nice set of cars and no doubt very portable.

He's fortunate when it comes to any noise complaints because his band members have influential parents (Mayor, Chief of Police, County Commissioner, etc.).  But really, all the neighbors seem to not have a problem providing they don't practice late at night.
5-16 03:09
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

OddjobSurveyor Posted at 5-15 18:10
Have they broken yet? Lol

Several times.  However, over the last couple of years I've built up a pretty good amount of repair parts.  I've also bought several used ones at great prices and use them as parts cars.  For the most part they are not really hard to repair.  
5-16 03:20
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
  • >>>
Croatia

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-16 03:20
Several times.  However, over the last couple of years I've built up a pretty good amount of repair parts.  I've also bought several used ones at great prices and use them as parts cars.  For the most part they are not really hard to repair.

I've found them to be quite unbreakable after you invest a bit into a few key upgrades like RPM arms and steel axles

5-16 14:06
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules