Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Hit 70.5MPH + Attempt at Immelman with Split-S Turns
12345Next >
2594 168 6-5 06:00
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 15018822 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very windy conditions so even more difficult to control the Avata 2 in full manual flight but managed it for all four flights today and still no crashes.

First attempt at an Immelman turn with Split-S combos and quite pleased with the results given the wind speeds and these being my first flights in a week. An Immelman is like a reverse of the Split-S so you flip back then roll to ascend rather than drop out.  

Flying this drone is just amazing and I love every minute of it. I have also included footage at the end of the video from my goggles 3 showing my Avata 2 reaching 70.5mph / 113.4km/h - the drone covered about 1,000 feet in less than ten seconds!

6-5 06:00
Use props
yogi053
First Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

Well done that man! (didn't spot any huns in the sun though).
6-5 06:41
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 6-5 06:41
Well done that man! (didn't spot any huns in the sun though).

Let's hope it stays that way mate
6-5 06:45
Use props
yogi053
First Officer
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 6-5 06:45
Let's hope it stays that way mate

Yeah,hope so. Just got update for fly app.  1.13.5 (1015-official)
6-5 07:56
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 6-5 07:56
Yeah,hope so. Just got update for fly app.  1.13.5 (1015-official)

Anything interesting in the update?
6-5 09:32
Use props
yogi053
First Officer
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 6-5 09:32
Anything interesting in the update?

Srry AJ, couldn't be bothered to even look and see if there was. I just know I will check all settings on all my drones affected before flying them again. I might watch a couple of youtubers to see if they find anything that might interest me.

I know, I'm a lazy bar steward!
PS. Why does it show me offline when in fact I am posting replies?
6-5 09:39
Use props
OldGuy2024
lvl.3
Flight distance : 632428 ft
United States

Nice flying. Nice area to fly. Flight field envy.  Only relatively flat and open area up here is over water (Lake Superior).  Closest to anyplace that is "open" is my neighbor's orchard.  And it pitches uphill at average of ~15% grade. It is a cool "playground" of obstacles when flying below ~3 meters.  Trellis, fence posts, large long uncovered and unused greenhouse, scattered trees and boulders.

Watched your video before log-in.  Now a Code 4 error and black screen appears.
6-5 09:42
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 6-5 09:39
Srry AJ, couldn't be bothered to even look and see if there was. I just know I will check all settings on all my drones affected before flying them again. I might watch a couple of youtubers to see if they find anything that might interest me.

I know, I'm a lazy bar steward!

No update reminder for me as yet on iOS so I'm still on .14 version

You must be in stealth mode - if you hover your cursor over your photo in the top right you will see a drop down with 'online' or 'stealth'. Tap it to show stealth and people will know you're online.
6-5 10:00
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

OldGuy2024 Posted at 6-5 09:42
Nice flying. Nice area to fly. Flight field envy.  Only relatively flat and open area up here is over water (Lake Superior).  Closest to anyplace that is "open" is my neighbor's orchard.  And it pitches uphill at average of ~15% grade. It is a cool "playground" of obstacles when flying below ~3 meters.  Trellis, fence posts, large long uncovered and unused greenhouse, scattered trees and boulders.

Thanks OG. Low altitude flying was really hard today due to the wind speeds. I had to fly around 30-40MPH to overcome the wind or the drone would be blown off course in certain directions.

Strange about the black screen as the vid is showing on my Macbook.
6-5 10:02
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6337615 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Seems to work well. Looks like getting back to horizontal flight is the trickiest bit.
6-5 10:04
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-5 10:04
Seems to work well. Looks like getting back to horizontal flight is the trickiest bit.

It's an interesting manoeuvre for sure and much more difficult than I anticipated after watching the video you kindly posted. The difficulty is that when you flip the drone (pitch back to invert 180 degrees before a 180 degree roll to level out) you are doing it blind to the horizon so timing is absolutely essential. Still, considering I never even heard of the Immelman turn until you mentioned it today and given that I didn't practice doing it I'm quite pleased with the result. Another bit of acro to add to the evolving FPV skill set.
6-5 10:14
Use props
OldGuy2024
lvl.3
United States

Video is back.  I'm online with an ancient iMac running High Sierra. Could be the issue or my slow internet speed.  Just started a new thread regarding gimbal sticks. Your flying has me seriously considering the FPV RC3 again.  My neighbors orchard would be an ok area to get backing into acro.  I need softer open areas to crash.  The open area of ~1 acre he lets the grass grow.  Nice knee to waist deep grass to crash onto vs. a tree.   Another + for the ESC beeper.
6-5 10:18
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 6-5 10:14
It's an interesting manoeuvre for sure and much more difficult than I anticipated after watching the video you kindly posted. The difficulty is that when you flip the drone (pitch back to invert 180 degrees before a 180 degree roll to level out) you are doing it blind to the horizon so timing is absolutely essential. Still, considering I never even heard of the Immelman turn until you mentioned it today and given that I didn't practice doing it I'm quite pleased with the result. Another bit of acro to add to the evolving FPV skill set.

An extra string to your bow
6-5 10:20
Use props
OldGuy2024
lvl.3
United States

Is that a foldable landing pad? No need to stake it down?
6-5 10:20
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

OldGuy2024 Posted at 6-5 10:18
Video is back.  I'm online with an ancient iMac running High Sierra. Could be the issue or my slow internet speed.  Just started a new thread regarding gimbal sticks. Your flying has me seriously considering the FPV RC3 again.  My neighbors orchard would be an ok area to get backing into acro.  I need softer open areas to crash.  The open area of ~1 acre he lets the grass grow.  Nice knee to waist deep grass to crash onto vs. a tree.   Another + for the ESC beeper.

Do it mate - sounds like you have a good place to practice.
6-5 10:23
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-5 10:20
An extra string to your bow

That's what it's all about - though I need to modify my rates a little to get the timings more precise as I came out of the back flip too soon looking back.
6-5 10:35
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

OldGuy2024 Posted at 6-5 10:20
Is that a foldable landing pad? No need to stake it down?

Yeah, it's a really nice one. No need for stakes and handled the wind perfectly - didn't move at all. Folds up into the size of an iPad and has a nice nylon carry bag with a zipper. Fits perfectly in my new DJI carry more backpack. Made out of pu leather too - though it's a bit pricey but you do get what you pay for.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09J ... t_b_product_details
6-5 10:42
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 6-5 10:35
That's what it's all about - though I need to modify my rates a little to get the timings more precise as I came out of the back flip too soon looking back.

Lots of fun to be had
6-5 11:09
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-5 11:09
Lots of fun to be had

That's ultimately why I bought the thing
6-5 11:11
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 6-5 11:11
That's ultimately why I bought the thing

Keep posting your exploits - we can enjoy them vicariously
6-5 11:18
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-5 11:18
Keep posting your exploits - we can enjoy them vicariously

I will Next on the list for your vicarious enjoyment will be power loops, proximity flying in manual and mountain dives! I just hope I don't add crashes to the list!
6-5 11:29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 6-5 11:29
I will  Next on the list for your vicarious enjoyment will be power loops, proximity flying in manual and mountain dives! I just hope I don't add crashes to the list!

David has been candid enough to post his cock-ups. I'm sure you could do the same
6-5 11:33
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-5 11:33
David has been candid enough to post his cock-ups. I'm sure you could do the same

I've seen his vid doing that. Glad to see his drone has survived all of it. He said he had a better day today.

I'm genuinely yet to crash my Avata 2. Still have the same props too. The closest I have come so far is getting close to a branch in normal mode at about 5mph going through a hedge with the motion controller lol.

I have my index finger over the pause button at all times in manual as I fly with my thumbs so the split second I sense any danger the drones air brake is hit and she stops dead with GPS enabled. Then I consider what went wrong and how to improve before repeating it again and again until it clicks. If I know I'll 100% crash trying something then I simply won't do it. The whole process is quite strategic - with one easy turn leading into a more difficult one and so on. Patience and small steps defines success in this game. If you start trying to do split-s turns and power loops before you know how to flip and roll the drone you will crash.
6-5 11:54
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 6-5 11:54
I've seen his vid doing that. Glad to see his drone has survived all of it. He said he had a better day today.

I'm genuinely yet to crash my Avata 2. Still have the same props too. The closest I have come so far is getting close to a branch in normal mode at about 5mph going through a hedge with the motion controller lol.

Fly safe and Fly FPV don't really belong in the same sentence
But you get my meaning
6-5 11:57
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-5 11:57
Fly safe and Fly FPV don't really belong in the same sentence
But you get my meaning

That may be your perception of FPV but it is not my reality doing it.
I hit over 70mph today and did inverted turns in 30mph winds most people would be scared to try in a simulator and never crashed lol so you can fly safely in FPV if you take your time learning how and minimise the risks whilst still performing even freestyle acro. If I were flying a home built FPV drone I would have about 20 crashes under my belt now but the Avata 2 has a pause button which stops that so crashing is totally avoidable.
6-5 12:15
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 6-5 12:15
That may be your perception of FPV but it is not my reality doing it.
I hit over 70mph today and did inverted turns in 30mph winds most people would be scared to try in a simulator and never crashed lol so you can fly safely in FPV if you take your time learning how and minimise the risks whilst still performing even freestyle acro. If I were flying a home built FPV drone I would have about 20 crashes under my belt now but the Avata 2 has a pause button which stops that so crashing is totally avoidable.

A fail-safe button must be re-assuring.
6-5 13:23
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-5 13:23
A fail-safe button must be re-assuring.

It has saved my arse loads mate, can't deny and no shame in using it - beats making care refresh claims or worse, not having anymore to claim and being unable to fly! Now I only use the pause when I have totally messed up and can't recover the situation myself - happened a lot today in that wind! Of course, I am now doomed to crash aren't I after writing all of that! But that will be your fault for making me say it
6-5 13:47
Use props
Dronep
lvl.4
Flight distance : 725728 ft
Bulgaria

Until the time when you show video from goggles i was thinking what high wind A J is talking about. You are getting better every minute. Happy and safe flying.
6-5 19:44
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 6-5 13:47
It has saved my arse loads mate, can't deny and no shame in using it - beats making care refresh claims or worse, not having anymore to claim and being unable to fly! Now I only use the pause when I have totally messed up and can't recover the situation myself - happened a lot today in that wind! Of course, I am now doomed to crash aren't I after writing all of that! But that will be your fault for making me say it

For legal reasons, I refute your allegation totally
If the worst should happen, don't come after me for your uninsured losses - I'm a penniless pensioner
6-5 21:29
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dronep Posted at 6-5 19:44
Until the time when you show video from goggles i was thinking what high wind A J is talking about. You are getting better every minute. Happy and safe flying.

It's difficult to see how windy conditions are from a polished, stabilised video which is why I added the unstabilised footage from the goggles which also shows the speed of the drone in real time. In normal and sport mode the drone just tilted 45 degrees yesterday when hovering without any input from me. Flying in manual was actually easier. Is was too windy to fly in to be honest but had to be done and presented an opportunity to hit a new, personal speed record with this drone - flying faster at one point than I can legally drive my car on British motorway lol
6-5 22:02
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-5 21:29
For legal reasons, I refute your allegation totally
If the worst should happen, don't come after me for your uninsured losses - I'm a penniless pensioner

Nothing to worry about LOL Everything I own is insured to the hilt - including up to £1,000,000 if I injure myself with the drone
6-5 22:04
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 6-5 22:04
Nothing to worry about LOL Everything I own is insured to the hilt - including up to £1,000,000 if I injure myself with the drone

FPVUK looks after my interests
6-5 22:35
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-5 22:35
FPVUK looks after my interests

Same here with £5,000,000 if I injure a third party while flying along with DJI care refresh on replacing the Avata 2 should I crash my drone and it needs to be repaired up to four times over a two-year period and well, my banks cover everything else.
6-5 22:39
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice one Aj.   
6-6 00:36
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cheers David
6-6 00:38
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're very welcome. .     So how much faster can it go,  thats now the question.
6-6 00:45
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-6 00:45
You're very welcome. .     So how much faster can it go,  thats now the question.

I think it's rated at around 61MPH - I hit 70.5mph with a 39 degree pitch angle in full throttle and I was losing altitude. The drone was being carried in what must have been a 30mph wind in the same direction. If I started the run higher and pitched further I think I could have got a little faster but the drone was literally shaking as you can see in the footage (which wasn't sped up in post). I would hazard a guess at 75MPH (may be 80MPH but that would be really, really pushing it and it would probably flip or damage a motor). I just wanted to surpass 70MPH as I've seen others do and mission accomplished! BTW - it drains the battery something chronic! 9 minute flight time!
6-6 00:56
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 6-6 00:56
I think it's rated at around 61MPH - I hit 70.5mph with a 39 degree pitch angle in full throttle and I was losing altitude. The drone was being carried in what must have been a 30mph wind in the same direction. If I started the run higher and pitched further I think I could have got a little faster but the drone was literally shaking as you can see in the footage (which wasn't sped up in post). I would hazard a guess at 75MPH (may be 80MPH but that would be really, really pushing it and it would probably flip or damage a motor). I just wanted to surpass 70MPH as I've seen others do and mission accomplished! BTW - it drains the battery something chronic! 9 minute flight time!

Ive only seen one other test of the speed and it was the same as you with the wind.

6-6 01:02
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-6 01:02
Ive only seen one other test of the speed and it was the same as you with the wind.

Geez - he hit 118.4km/h  - that's 73.57mph! So may be 75mph with more altitude in a faster wind. The drone is barely bigger than my hand and can fly as fast as a car being driven on a motorway - it's amazing!
6-6 01:14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 6-6 01:14
Geez - he hit 118.4km/h  - that's 73.57mph! So may be 75mph with more altitude in a faster wind. The drone is barely bigger than my hand and can fly as fast as a car being driven on a motorway - it's amazing!

Did you see

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9pEqyr_uT-k
6-6 01:23
Use props
12345Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules