Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is the Avata 2 crippled WITHOUT an Android or iOS device ?
123Next >
2272 95 6-10 04:17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zyxel
lvl.2
Poland

Is the Avata 2 crippled WITHOUT an additional device that is executing the Android or the iOS operating system ?

BTW: I don't have one and don't plan to spend additional money to purchase one.

I read that the Googles3, the motion controller and Avata2's FlySafe database and firmware can be updated with the DJI Assistant 2 software and an Intel/AMD PC connected by a USB cable.
Also, I read that they can be activated in the same manner.

HOWEVER, I also read that without an Android or iOS device the Avata 2 drone will be CRIPPLED and limited to 30m altitude and 50m maximum distance from the controller, even in unrestricted GEO zones !!!

Is that true ?

6-10 04:17
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1100308 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

I can't say with 100% certainty because I never tried this since I wouldn't ever expect a person without access to a smartphone or a tablet to buy a drone, but I think you will not be able to load FlySafe database for your area without DJI Fly and will therefore be limited in distance and height. You can just borrow a device, load the database and don't need to ever connect it again.
6-10 04:33
Use props
Zyxel
lvl.2
Poland

fichek Posted at 6-10 04:33
I can't say with 100% certainty because I never tried this since I wouldn't ever expect a person without access to a smartphone or a tablet to buy a drone,...

That makes no sense since Goggles3, which are sold with the Avata 2, already provide the display and control interface for it.
An additional display and control interface via another device are redundant.

6-10 04:48
Use props
Zyxel
lvl.2
Poland

fichek Posted at 6-10 04:33
...I think you will not be able to load FlySafe database for your area without DJI Fly and will therefore be limited in distance and height. You can just borrow a device, load the database and don't need to ever connect it again.

The DJI Asistant 2 loads the FlySafe database from the Intel/AMD PC into the Avata 2 without a problem and I can verify its correct functionality by approaching the airport and getting the expected warnings and restrictions according to the GEO Zone Information posted by DJI here:
https://fly-safe.dji.com/home

6-10 04:52
Use props
Dirty Bird
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

Zyxel Posted at 6-10 04:48
That makes no sense since Goggles3, whch are sold with the Avata 2, already provide the display and control interface for it.
An additional display and control interface via another device are redundant.

His point is who doesn't have a smart phone?  Nowadays kids have smart phones, grandma has a smart phone, etc..  Someone interested in drone tech would normally have a smart phone.
6-10 05:37
Use props
Zyxel
lvl.2
Poland

Dirty Bird Posted at 6-10 05:37
His point is who doesn't have a smart phone?  Nowadays kids have smart phones, grandma has a smart phone, etc..  Someone interested in drone tech would normally have a smart phone.

This answer is off-topic as it addresses the market penetration issue of 3rd-party devices.

When, I enter into a purchase agreement with DJI, I expect to be informed of  any requirements to make additional purchases and/or agreements with extraneous 3rd parties.

This also applies to my choice of operating systems executing on my phones and their hardware architectures.

P.S.
My grandma does not own a device that executes the Android or the iOS operating system and neither does anyone in my family ...but that is off-topic, too.

6-10 05:47
Use props
Dirty Bird
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Zyxel Posted at 6-10 05:47
This answer is off-topic as it addresses the market penetration issue of 3rd-party devices.

When, I enter into a purchase agreement with DJI, I expect to be informed of  any requirements to make additional purchases and/or agreements with extraneous 3rd parties.

When you purchase a TV dinner do they inform you of the requirement for a fork & knife?
6-10 05:54
Use props
Zyxel
lvl.2
Poland

Dirty Bird Posted at 6-10 05:54
When you purchase a TV dinner do they inform you of the requirement for a fork & knife?

TV dinners are off-topic for this issue.
But yes there is information about this requiremet on the packaging and I am not required to eat TV dinners with stainless steel silverware ...I can use silver silverware or bamboo chopstics or even my fingers, if I want to.
6-10 05:58
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 89751 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

curious.... what OS does your mobile device run then?

if you would have read the manual (that you can download for free without purchase of the avata2) you would have known this is a thing.
and fyi: the latest firmware is only available thru the APP at the moment.
6-10 06:01
Use props
Zyxel
lvl.2
Poland

BadBert Posted at 6-10 06:01
...the latest firmware is only available thru the APP at the moment.

You are misinformed.  
The DJI Assistant 2 can upload the latest firmware v01.00.0300 from an Intel/AMD PC to the Avata 2 aircraft and v01.00.0200 to Goggles3 via a USB cable.  See:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =310624&pid=3334983

Also, I have verified this to be true.
6-10 06:10
Use props
Zyxel
lvl.2
Poland

BadBert Posted at 6-10 06:01
if you would have read the manual (that you can download for free without purchase of the avata2) you would have known this is a thing.

Please point out to me where in the purchase agreement or in the manual is stated that an additional purchase of a device executing the Android or iOS operating system is required to use this drone without crippling limitations?

...if that is even true, since no one has answered the question posed by the OP in the first place.

6-10 06:15
Use props
djiuser_NJhtk5QHLbzK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 885823 ft
Ireland

your choice not to have an android phone if you don't want to. but you can't blame DJI for that. there are only 2 really types of OS for mobile devices right now so I could see why they would focus their app development there.
6-10 06:26
Use props
Zyxel
lvl.2
Poland

djiuser_NJhtk5QHLbzK Posted at 6-10 06:26
your choice not to have an android phone if you don't want to.

Yes, it is an individual choice what hardware architecture mobile communication devices have and what operating system runs on them or even if he/she posesses them.
6-10 06:29
Use props
Zyxel
lvl.2
Poland

... but you can't blame DJI for that.

Yes, I can blame DJI for a creating hidden requirements needed to fully use their product - a requirement that costs money to satisfy and requires entering into additional agreements with extranous 3rd parties.  But that's off-topic.
6-10 06:30
Use props
Zyxel
lvl.2
Poland

...there are only 2 really types of OS for mobile devices right now so I could see why they would focus their app development there.

No, there are others and there are no laws in my jurisdiction that mandate the posession of a mobile communication device of a particular kind ...or any kind.  I heard there are such laws in China so if you are from there then I understand your surprise.  But all of this is off-topic.

Also, DJI has focused their development on software products that are capable of running under 3 different operating systems (not 2) and all these products are capable of activating, updating the firmware and the FlySafe database on the Avata 2 and Goggles3.  

Anyway, the activation and maintenance of the firmware and the FlySafe database inside the Avata 2 and Goggles3, is not the issue here nor the subject of the OP's question.

BTW: You still have not answered the OP's question.

6-10 06:37
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Zyxel Posted at 6-10 05:47

" an Intel/AMD PC connected by a USB cable. Great! - no additional purchase necessary."

Uum with regards to Dirty_Bird's post, #5, and your reply, post #6. If owning a smart phone is considered an additional purchase required then surely so too are the computer and USB cable that you mention in post number 1, aren't they ?

6-10 07:43
Use props
Zyxel
lvl.2
Poland

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 6-10 07:43
Uum with regards to Dirty_Bird's post, #5, and your reply, post #6. If owning a smart phone is considered an additional purchase required then surely so too are the computer and USB cable that you mention in post number 1, aren't they ?

Yes, of course.
But the OP's question is not about the market penetration of 3rd party devices, it is a question whether Avata 2 operation is crippled in GEO unrestricted zones without these devices/operating systems.
6-10 07:51
Use props
fansf240c01f
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12536706 ft
United States

Zyxel Posted at 6-10 07:51
Yes, of course.
But the OP's question is not about the market penetration of 3rd party devices, it is a question whether Avata 2 is crippled without these devices/operating systems.

Why do you keep referring to the OP's question when YOU'RE the OP?

And, yes, the Avata 2 is crippled without those devices.
6-10 07:54
Use props
Zyxel
lvl.2
Poland

fansf240c01f Posted at 6-10 07:54
Why do you keep referring to the OP's question when YOU'RE the OP?

Because one does not preclude the other and makes it easier for future readers to understand what question is being referred to without them taking the time to track/compare usernames.
6-10 08:03
Use props
Zyxel
lvl.2
Poland

fansf240c01f Posted at 6-10 07:54
And, yes, the Avata 2 is crippled without those devices.

At last, an answer to the original question albeit not from a DJI authoritative source and unsupported by more than an assertion.
6-10 08:05
Use props
fansf240c01f
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12536706 ft
United States

HI there,
thank you for reaching out.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you. We will record and submit such feedback/concern and ensure that it reaches our relevant team.  

Also, any news or updates will be announced officially on this forum site or DJI's official website.

Should you have any other questions, kindly contact us for an assistance. Thank you!
6-10 08:18
Use props
Dirty Bird
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Zyxel Posted at 6-10 05:58
TV dinners are off-topic for this issue.
But yes there is information about this requiremet on the packaging and I am not required to eat TV dinners with stainless steel silverware ...I can use silver silverware or bamboo chopstics or even my fingers, if I want to.

What about the "market penetration of 3rd-party utensils" & the lack of disclosure that you must make additional purchases in order to cook & consume the product?

The bottom line is, whether it be an Android device, an Apple device, or a PC, the drone requires an external device in order to activate it for use and/or to update the firmware.  If you purchase a CD but don't own a CD-player & adamantly refuse to purchase one, well then you are SOL.  You have effectively "crippled" your CD.

I do not understand the precise nature of your complaint?  Is your complaint that the drone needs to occasionally connect to your DJI account?  
6-10 08:29
Use props
=DUH=
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3206348 ft
Germany

... and you need to run DJI Fly on a mobile device to initial setup the remote ID, because there's no menu in the Goggles 3.
6-10 08:51
Use props
Zyxel
lvl.2
Poland

I do not understand the precise nature of your complaint?

It is not a complaint.  It is a question.

fansf240c01f has replied that Avata 2 is crippled in such manner without a connection to a device executing the Android or iOS operating system and that's what I was asking about, although I'd like to have some supporting evidence for this statement.

Incidentally, I have learned that not even one connection to an A/iOS device is necessary for activating and updating the firmware and FlySafe GEO Zone database of the Avata2/Goggle3.

Whether that connection is really necessary for the drone to fly more than 50m is a different issue and not a subject of this question.

6-10 09:56
Use props
Zyxel
lvl.2
Poland

Dirty Bird Posted at 6-10 08:29
What about the "market penetration of 3rd-party utensils" & the lack of disclosure that you must make additional purchases in order to cook & consume the product?

TV-dinners are off-topic in this thread.
I already replied to this irrelevant analogy below:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =313568&pid=3339587

The  need for utensils is stated on the packaging if the utensils are not included.  Sometimes they are.  Even when they are not, I am not prevented from eating the entire tv-dinner with chopsticks or my fingers.  If your analogy were to be relevant then the tv-dinner would have to be rendered 80% inedible by some kind of locking or poisoning mechanism without e.g. a common polycarbonate fork.
6-10 10:11
Use props
Zyxel
lvl.2
Poland

=DUH= Posted at 6-10 08:51
... and you need to run DJI Fly on a mobile device to initial setup the remote ID, because there's no menu in the Goggles 3.

Doesn't the DJI Assistant 2 already do that during the initial drone activation via Internet?
6-10 10:14
Use props
=DUH=
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3206348 ft
Germany

Zyxel Posted at 6-10 10:14
Doesn't the DJI Assistant 2 already do that during the initial drone activation via Internet?

remote ID has nothing to do with activation.
I've not seen an option in Assistant 2 to set the remote ID.
6-10 23:40
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You need a phone to activate the product and then it's not needed.
6-10 23:58
Use props
Zyxel
lvl.2
Poland

DAFlys Posted at 6-10 23:58

You are misinformed.  

I have activated and flown the Avata2/Goggles3 using an USB cable with the DJI Asisstant 2 and a device that was not a phone nor a device executing the Android or the iOS operating system (they are not synonymous).

Avata2 activated.png
6-11 01:42
Use props
Zyxel
lvl.2
Poland

=DUH= Posted at 6-10 23:40
remote ID has nothing to do with activation.
I've not seen an option in Assistant 2 to set the remote ID.

So you are claiming that the setting of RemoteID is not a part of the activation process.

Indeed, I was not prompted with anything mentioning RemoteID during the Avata2 activation process and I always assumed that it was done automatically in the background during activation since the DJI Assistant2 software logs into DJI servers with the login and password of a particular DJI account.

Could you describe the details of setting the RemoteID  as a separate process that you have gone through with the Avata 2 ?
6-11 01:52
Use props
yogi053
First Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

I see that you seem to be in Poland. Is RID even a factor in you using your drone/aircraft/ whatever?
6-11 02:01
Use props
GTHero
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1832372 ft
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 6-10 23:58

This is not the case for me.  Just in the last few months I periodically (not every flight) get a 'Connect to DJI Fly App' message in my Goggles V2 interface.  Not connecting my phone and the app at this point results in my range being restricted to 50 metres.  I can immediately disconnect after connecting and my flight is unrestricted.

I once hiked 3 km up a mountain to fly my Avata, only to be asked to connect to the app and realise that I'd left the USB cable in the car!  I don't live in the US, so have no RID requirement.

It sounds like others don't have this annoyance, so perhaps it's just a problem with my unit?   
6-11 02:24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GTHero Posted at 6-11 02:24
This is not the case for me.  Just in the last few months I periodically (not every flight) get a 'Connect to DJI Fly App' message in my Goggles V2 interface.  Not connecting my phone and the app at this point results in my range being restricted to 50 metres.  I can immediately disconnect after connecting and my flight is unrestricted.

I once hiked 3 km up a mountain to fly my Avata, only to be asked to connect to the app and realise that I'd left the USB cable in the car!  I don't live in the US, so have no RID requirement.

This is about the Googles3 not the version 2's.     version 3 have GPS and battery builtin so dont need to be externally connected.
6-11 02:36
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Zyxel Posted at 6-11 01:42
You are misinformed.  

I have activated and flown the Avata2/Goggles3 using an USB cable with the DJI Asisstant 2 and a device that was not a phone nor a device executing the Android or the iOS operating system (they are not synonymous).

Good for you.   Was it brand new?   Because your profile doesnt show an activated Avata2.   If you activated a new one it would appear in your profile,   if it was second hand it wont need to be activated.
6-11 02:41
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Zyxel Posted at 6-11 01:42
You are misinformed.  

6-11 02:45
Use props
fichek
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1100308 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

yogi053 Posted at 6-11 02:01
I see that you seem to be in Poland. Is RID even a factor in you using your drone/aircraft/ whatever?

Yes, RID has been a requirement from EASA since the start of this year https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/do ... atory-drones-across

And the only way to enter your EASA pilot registration ID seems to be via DJI Fly app. I just don't get this hostility and defensiveness from the OP. Just borrow a freaking smartphone if you don't wanna own one
6-11 03:33
Use props
yogi053
First Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

fichek Posted at 6-11 03:33
Yes, RID has been a requirement from EASA since the start of this year https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/document-library/general-publications/remote-identification-will-become-mandatory-drones-across

And the only way to enter your EASA pilot registration ID seems to be via DJI Fly app. I just don't get this hostility and defensiveness from the OP. Just borrow a freaking smartphone if you don't wanna own one

Cheers for setting me straight fichek on EASA regulations. As to your comment about the phone..... I totally concur!
6-11 03:44
Use props
eried
Second Officer
Flight distance : 787621 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

On a related topic, will the Avata 2 be limited if I do not have electricity? I do not see it listed on the box
6-11 06:03
Use props
Zyxel
lvl.2
Poland

yogi053 Posted at 6-11 02:01

Yes it is since the beginning of 2024 per EASA rules
6-11 06:12
Use props
Zyxel
lvl.2
Poland

GTHero Posted at 6-11 02:24
This is not the case for me.  Just in the last few months I periodically (not every flight) get a 'Connect to DJI Fly App' message in my Goggles V2 interface.  Not connecting my phone and the app at this point results in my range being restricted to 50 metres.  

So this might be conflicting answer to the one given by DAFlys if it also applies to Avata2/Goggles3.
6-11 06:14
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules