Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone crashed in Pasedena and baby in stroller injured (FLY SAFE OR DONT FLY)
3716 24 2015-9-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PureSQNut
Second Officer

United States

We all talked about what would happen if there was a crash of on of our I1's and the repercussions if somebody was injured. In this case it was a baby unjured (Thankfully not serious), most likely by a broken propeller fromthe crash.

We have all had and seen bad news and bad publicity in regards to drones,  but with this story there is several communities in LA that are furious now about drones and it is being highlighted in a seriously negative way now in LA (Where most all of my family live and have been contacting me from about this becuase they know I own an I1). They are even questioning now why Ovener Brown Veto'd the flight restriction bill. Doesnt help with the news is calling out the Inspire 1 as the drone that caused the issue. Now its in the hands of the FAA.

This guy was flying over a group even near city hall......   Flying over and near aGovernment building and over groups of people. ALL BAD NEWS....  I hope with all of the disucssion that we have had about this kind of stuff on this forum that nobody from this group was the pilot involved.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2 ... g-baby-in-pasadena/

2015-9-16
Use props
ibdronin
Second Officer

United States

What an idiot and gives everyone a bad name. It starts in cali and then runs down hill. Not to mention the innocent 11 month old. Jesus, youcan kill someone with this drone beleive or not. This is not a toy it is a tool and to be used responsibly.

In time you can bet that you will have to purchase a licenese to fly and go through a course. Not anytime soon but once the drones start flying
and the skies are full you can bet your bottom dollar it will happen.

Just like anything, government will rule on this. And you can't blame them if we have idiots like this fellow flying
over head.

Hell let me know who he is, so the next time I'm in Cali I'll call him up to make sure he isn't airborne when I'm traveling about. Or better he should
have to make a blog and post his location each time he is flying so we all can get the heck out of the way.
2015-9-16
Use props
howie121218
lvl.4

United States

sad news...
2015-9-16
Use props
Machoman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

Probably the Drone Jammers in the Government buildings crashed it.
2015-9-16
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

Wow!:@ This is really bad news. :@

Very Good to hear the baby is aparently ok.
2015-9-16
Use props
method007
First Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's just terrible.  I'm really interested in the product liability lawsuit that is certain to follow, it has the potential of making case law.
2015-9-16
Use props
PureSQNut
Second Officer

United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-9-16 15:58
Wow! This is really bad news.

I agree Dave. My parents live down in that area and there is a lot of local residents seriously pissed over this. This is by far not the publicity we needed right after getting that bill veto'd.

I personally hope the FAA makes an example of this guy and throws the book at him. Let the public see that something is being done to people who dont use their heads. Unbelievable!
2015-9-16
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

PureSQNut Posted at 2015-9-16 16:55
I agree Dave. My parents live down in that area and there is a lot of local residents seriously pi ...

Yeah. You know what also makes me sad. I have been doing Aerial Photography before there was such a thing as a mulitrotor. I used to use RC airplanes and RC helicopters. It was much harder back then, but nobody was doing it. Now it is supper easy and we have the most amazing aircraft (multirotors) to do the job. But now everyone is doing it and it is going to be ruined.

It's like the industry is a victim of it's own success.
Sad.
2015-9-16
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Very bad news indeed.    Sounds like the owner thought he was doing the right thing by flying a block away from the action, not over it.    I wouldn't be launching the I1 within 3 miles of a large group like that but can see why he thought it would be safe.      The bigger issue is why he lost control.  Could be that he just clipped a light post or something and be pilot error.   

Anyway, a bad day for all of us.
2015-9-16
Use props
ambambcopter
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Sadly this was bound to happen sooner or later.
If one thinks back over all videos that have been posted on this site alone.
It amazed me just how often someone had flown their UAV over a built up area or lots of people.
I urge all to get themselves insurance to cover such a mishap.
Because even if one complies with all CAA or FAA regulations, cause an injury you risk getting nailed to the wall.
2015-9-17
Use props
JasonA
lvl.1

United States

Unfortunately, there are too many people behaving badly who are setting the tone for drone legislation.   

Im seeing it all over youtube, and even some people brashly defending their bad judgement right here in these very forums.  

Its these people who will be ruining it for everyone.   

2015-9-17
Use props
Midnightrider
lvl.1

United States

Sorry the child was injured it seems due to pilot error and lack of training. It will also give the FAA more clout when they come out with the new UAV Pilot requirements.

On another FAA note: But the Academy of Model Aeronautics found that many drone sightings reported to FAA were vague, mistaken or involved remotely piloted aircraft that were following the rules.

Read more: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/09/13/drone-reports-faa-close-call-near-miss-academy-model-aeronautics-/72064388/
2015-9-17
Use props
Linolens
Second Officer
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

Why is everyone blaming the pilot if we do not know the details?

If you open the industry websites and Instagram you'll see pics of every kind flying over bridges and city centers.
The comments are "Beautiful! Outstanding!" and so on.....until shit hits the fan.

We don't know what happened - yet - and maybe we will never know.
But I agree it's going to be bad for all of us.

2015-9-17
Use props
Paul Joy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3754318 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It doesn't help with people like Trey Ratcliff promoting bad usage!

2015-9-18
Use props
Midnightrider
lvl.1

United States

Linolens Posted at 2015-9-17 21:31
Why is everyone blaming the pilot if we do not know the details?

If you open the industry websites  ...

There's enough detail to know he was flying over people and others property. Something I will not do and something he perhaps did not think through. Safety First!
2015-9-19
Use props
Linolens
Second Officer
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-9-19 23:20
Needing training and some kind of "licence" in order to operate...

Is that necessarily a bad thin ...

I'm with you
2015-9-19
Use props
teamnest1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

ambambcopter@bt Posted at 2015-9-17 08:46
Sadly this was bound to happen sooner or later.
If one thinks back over all videos that have been po ...

Exactly. We don't know the whole story. You can follow every single rule and still encounter a problem like this. I know because it happened with me during a Fly-Away problem.

Some people act as if pilots are trying to hit people on purpose.
2015-9-19
Use props
Benlamb
lvl.1

Pakistan

Really a sad news Hear I hope if there was strong nd good quality shelter on the baby stroller i wish and i pray the baby gets well soon. The Drones Need to be stopped
2018-1-30
Use props
Highasakite
First Officer
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

Hope the FAA can track him down, and fine him to DEATH Safety First Pilots! Ken.
2018-1-30
Use props
Wolfman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 405659 ft
Australia

Benlamb Posted at 2018-1-30 10:47
Really a sad news Hear I hope if there was strong nd good quality shelter on the baby stroller i wish and i pray the baby gets well soon. The Drones Need to be stopped

F*#%K me......am I missing something ?? ......September 2015 LOL the baby is now approaching 4 so no need to keep praying
2018-1-30
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Why people keep dragging threads back from the grave just escapes me..
Mods/admins, PLEASE! Setup an archive on old threads and make them read only!
2018-1-30
Use props
Wolfman
Second Officer
Australia

Farnk666 Posted at 2018-1-30 14:51
Mods/admins, PLEASE! Setup an archive on old threads and make them read only!

not your first request for this Farnk.....wish they would take your idea on board.....Come on DJI!!! Kind of feel robbed wasting time reading threads only to find out that they are over 2 years old.
On a positive note, the baby survived and is now looking forward to going to pre school!

regards Wolf
2018-1-30
Use props
Wolfman
Second Officer
Australia

not your first request for this Farnk.....wish they would take your idea on board.....Come on DJI!!! Kind of feel robbed wasting time reading threads only to find out that they are over 2 years old. In Ben Lamb's defense though, maybe the internet in Pakistan is REALLY REALLY slow.

On a positive note, the baby survived and is now looking forward to going to pre school!

regards Wolf
2018-1-30
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agreed!  

This is really nothing new !!... somehow, the old threads resurface again. They need to be closed at some point

Help DJI, lets help get this sorted out

Rich
2018-1-30
Use props
fans4cbdf079
lvl.3
United States

This may be an old thread, but drone safety is not an old issue.  It is unbelievable what happened near McCarran Airport in Las Vegas recently, a drone flying over a landing jet.  This is a very, very serious issue.  And that baby's life was endangered. Another baby was injured in England, lost an eye.  
2018-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules