Help, trying out Davinci Resolve 12
1141 8 2015-9-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

Quick question, well two actually... the first one can you color correct your proxy clips then when you apply the main video does it carry over because of the nods?

Second, how can you easily copy all effects off of one clip to another? I know you can do middle mouse button, but I only have the apple intelligent mouse so i have no middle button....

The real probem is I really like the color tool in Resolve... am more used to adobe... trying to see if i should switch or color correct in Resolve then use Premiere... I do use after effects a lot as well...  
Thanks!
2015-9-16
Use props
ge0se
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3184721 ft
United States

There are many training videos on youtube that answer these questions and give great workflow tips on how to manipulate multiple clips at once. Not worth explaining it here using text. Version 12 is very similar to 11 and 10 with more modern UI changes so even older material is still useful.
2015-9-16
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

ge0se Posted at 2015-9-16 18:16
There are many training videos on youtube that answer these questions and give great workflow tips o ...

I have to admit... after posting this i did more research and coming from a photo background I am seeing that coloring in video is a full time job... totally different beast! :-(
Although haven't figured out how to apply one effect from clip to another... have seen that this is very involved and have a lot more respect for colorist than i ever have in the past!
2015-9-16
Use props
ge0se
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3184721 ft
United States

nofearmx@gmail. Posted at 2015-9-16 19:19
I have to admit... after posting this i did more research and coming from a photo background I am  ...

You're totally right! I've invested a great deal of time studying color grading and know too well how difficult it really is. Upside is that once you learn it you pretty much know it, from them on it's not too hard anymore.
Copying grades from one to another is simple. Save it to one slot by selecting the clip and using Alt+1 keyboard shortcut (numbers 1 throuth 8 are available to save a grade to). Then select one or multiple clips and use Ctrl+1 keyboard shortcut (or any other number the grade was saved to). For Mac shortcuts see labels next to Nodes menus.
2015-9-16
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

To copy grades on a Mac use Option-1 to copy and Command - 1 to paste.   You can actually use Option 1-8 and Command 1-8 and have access to several different grades.   This is great when you have several looks going for a single edit.  Very fast to just hit Command 1-8 to paste the right one.

To answer your second question, yes, the whole idea is to edit and set all your looks on the easy to use proxy clips then switch back to full res.   Of course check to see if they look different but yes, the nodes should still be present and active, same as the proxy.
2015-9-17
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-9-17 08:17
To copy grades on a Mac use Option-1 to copy and Command - 1 to paste.   You can actually use Option ...

Thanks Jim... I hope I am not opening pandoras box, lol... I know it's not complicated but he options seem endless... am very excited about trying this new workflow. Now just need to get out film and come back and get to work!
2015-9-17
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

nofearmx@gmail. Posted at 2015-9-18 01:48
Thanks Jim... I hope I am not opening pandoras box, lol... I know it's not complicated but he opti ...

Not at all.   Da Vinci is all powerful but it's also pretty easy to get your head around.  Then it's practice practice practice!

The power windows and tracking are amongst the most useful features and really differentiate it.
2015-9-17
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-9-17 09:16
Not at all.   Da Vinci is all powerful but it's also pretty easy to get your head around.  Then it ...

I would have to say being stuck at the restaurant i can never leave... but if one day you are in the States in Northern Nevada (or driving from Cal to Utah) give me a shoot out... a couple of us here have inspires would be fun!
2015-9-17
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

nofearmx@gmail. Posted at 2015-9-18 03:07
I would have to say being stuck at the restaurant i can never leave... but if one day you are in t ...

You got it!  

Imagine there are some very interesting landscapes in that part of the country.
2015-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules