Is there a way to use "Follow Me" without carrying the RC?
3014 12 2015-9-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
julian
New

United States

Just wondering if there was a way to use Follow Me without carrying the RC around. For example, if you are skateboarding or whatever else, could it track my iPad Mini 3 (with Cellular) which would be on me and have someone else man the RC?  
2015-9-16
Use props
SkySurfer
lvl.2

United States

No, Not Yet

Unless you use Litchi ( android for now )

2015-9-16
Use props
julian
New

United States

Ok, thanks. Hopefully soon!
2015-9-16
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Not really, cause GPS signal from your mobile device should be transferred though RC to the aircraft
2015-9-17
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have successfully setup a secondary device for follow-me using the GO APP (NOT LITCHI+LEASH).and not have to carry the damn controller. And for safety reasons, it's good to still have a pilot operate the tilt and yaw and leave the follow me system to adjust/assist in speed.

You simply turn your second smart GPS enabled device into a hotspot that tethers the GPS co-ordinates to the device connected to the controller. This was achievable on Android. Go app installed on a Galaxy Note 4 and the followed device is an old ZTE prepaid Telstra phone with no sim.

Difficulty - 3 ninjas.
Using an app called TetherGPS (lite version has 5 min sessions and dies after 200min, get the full for $2). The TetherGPS app simply sends GPS data via the wifi.
App can be found here https://play.google.com/store/ap ... soft.tgps&hl=en (watch the clip for instructions). On the device mounted to the controller, make sure you can enable USB debug to enable MOCK LOCATIONS.
I used a throw away android gps enabled phone as the secondary-followed-device (no data or sim required). The followed android device will require "Hotspot and tethering" via wifi.
Install the TetherGPS app on both devices.
Start the wifi hotspot on the secondary device that will be followed. Start the TetherGPS and click Start Server.
Now on the device connected to the controller, connect to the wifi hotspot. Start the TetherGPS and click Start Client.
Depending on device, range can be 50-70m. If it loses wifi range, the Phantom just hovers.

Pros:
•No lag (except by the goapp - Go app needs faster refresh home point rates!!!!)
•Use anywhere where there is an open sky.
•Est 50-70m range (depending on wifi interference)
•No data plan required on followed device - Litchi requires data.
•TetherGPS cost $2 (im sure there are other free apps, I like to support devs).

Mobizen screen record demo of follow-me. Apologies for the screen size as the mobizen on default messed up the orientation.

2015-9-17
Use props
Andrewsokolovic
lvl.2

Canada

So this would work well for say following a longboarder down a decent slope. Pilot would hang back in a chase vehicle. Boarder has the secondary device in their back pocket. And the drone in between somewhere?
2015-9-17
Use props
uhayat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 191421 ft
Pakistan

Brilliant solution, thanks for sharing...
2015-9-17
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Andrewsokolovic Posted at 2015-9-17 23:30
So this would work well for say following a longboarder down a decent slope. Pilot would hang back i ...

correct-a-mundo dude.
Provided the dude with the controller can keep up with the subject.
2015-9-17
Use props
andreas_kreuz
lvl.2

Germany

.............without carrying the RC?

Ever thought about a girlfriend?
2015-9-17
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

andreas_kreuz Posted at 2015-9-17 23:59
.............without carrying the RC?

I think about girlfriends all the time but my other half hates it
2015-9-17
Use props
andreas_kreuz
lvl.2

Germany

no problem as long as she is willing to carry your gear
2015-9-17
Use props
julian
New

United States

Thanks for the solution! I will try it out.
2015-9-17
Use props
julian
New

United States

Andrewsokolovic Posted at 2015-9-17 08:30
So this would work well for say following a longboarder down a decent slope. Pilot would hang back i ...

This is exactly why I wanted to figure it out. Longboarding Follow Me shots would be pretty sweet!
2015-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules