Safety Survey
726 6 2015-9-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bob cooper
lvl.1

United States

I would like your help.  Safety is my number one issue with drones. Last year I was learning to fly my  Parrot AR. Drone that I had fitted with carbon fiber blades.  I was doing a simple take off and landing in the living room to impress a friend.  I was hovering and accidentally hit the "Home" button. Instead of a soft landing the AR Drone took off from a distance of about 10' from me and came right at my face.  As I was trying to deflect it, the carbon fiber blade put a gash on my left eye, just missing my eyeball.  I don't know about you, but that really soured my experience and nearly put out my eye.
I had every intention of taking the money I had saved to start a Real Estate Photography company.  Instead I became afraid of the drone. A friend purchased a Phantom from DJI and had a very similar experience on his very first flight.
Oddly enough I became so fascinated with the industry that started to look for solutions to the danger of any multi-rotor with plastic or carbon fiber blades.  I came up with what I affectionately call DroneKone.  It is complete and substantial propeller protection to help make drones safer.
I started a small company with my limited funds and developed a model of my concept.  I was able to get a provisional patent on my safety device.  Then I had a devastating life event and was out of action for a year.  I have recovered.  I don't have any funding at this point except out of my pocket and started seeking funding. I was told by a potential investor that I needed to survey 100 people to find out if my product is market worthy.
Okay enough story.  Simple Survey for Safety:
  • Yes or No  Are you concerned about drones flying around Children?
  • Yes or No  Do you have a concern about your personal safety when flying a drone?
  • Yes or No  If a safety device was available would you consider purchasing it?
  • What would a safety device look like to you if you could design one?
  •                  How much would you pay for a safety cage if one was available when you purchase your drone.
I greatly appreciate you reading this far and ask for help.  If this is just plain stupid, then I would like to know that now, before I spend any money on moving further.
Thank you so much for listening.  I am grateful to be a small part of this awesome community.
bob
2015-9-17
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Wow..glad you or no one was seriously hurt....Sounds like a lot of directions and safety steps were bypassed by yourself and your friend and glad to hear you recovered from whatever devastating life event you had. Safety should definitely be your number one issue. In fact, you might want to wear a big siren or something with a fluorescent sign indicating..Newbie alert!!...Stay 100 Yards or further away!!

For what it is worth, you can come up with all the safety gadgets you want but ultimately if you do not know how to fly the device to begin with and procedures involved no safety device will keep you or bystanders from harms way without understanding how to pilot the device.

So, to answer your questions..

Yes or No  Are you concerned about drones flying around Children? No, unless it is you or your friend flying it...RTFM and watch the countless videos available which is how most of us have learned with the aid of common sense. Part of that common sense is not practicing near people, ie. using a large field or park where no one is around to practice...Frankly i am far more concerned that a young or old person could get behind the wheel of a car with only having written a learners permit and next thing be barreling down the highway at 60 mph or more in a 3,500 lb. piece of steal heading at someone or a lot of someones like a missile!

Yes or No  Do you have a concern about your personal safety when flying a drone? No...Nada...None...i would be confident enough to fly it through a nursery if someone would let me.

Yes or No  If a safety device was available would you consider purchasing it? Too vague...Do you mean something like a hockey helmet with a face mask?

What would a safety device look like to you if you could design one?
Something like a hockey helmet with a face mask...Not sure why you ask this when you say you already mention you have something in the works....

How much would you pay for a safety cage if one was available when you purchase your drone? I live in Canada and everyone in Canada owns a hockey helmet with a face mask, so i would not pay anything....

I greatly appreciate you reading this far and ask for help.  If this is just plain stupid, then I would like to know that now, before I spend any money on moving further.

Sorry for the sarcasm..maybe..and not to pi$$ on your parade but in my opinion, your email is a smoking gun, one which i ain't smoking...There are far more dangers to be concerned about with regards to kids safety and Drones are not even on the radar
2015-9-17
Use props
bob cooper
lvl.1

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-9-18 02:01
Wow..glad you or no one was seriously hurt....Sounds like a lot of directions and safety steps were  ...

North,
Thank you for your response to my survey.  You have valid points that 1) one must take better care and 2) read more, but the fact is I'm just not a good pilot.  I believe in this industry and safety is a big issue for me.  If a newbie can fly through a nursery without harming anything, I would buy that product.

bob
2015-9-18
Use props
Kengineer
lvl.2

United States

No No No It would look like a simple sticker that said, do not fly indoors or carelessly hit controls
2015-9-22
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

If you give me a contract up front for 20% of the new company profits, I will be happy to help you design this by answering question 4.  

Until then, I think it is rude to ask us for designs for YOU to then build and sell.

Sorry.
2015-9-22
Use props
bob cooper
lvl.1

United States

Yorlik,
I am not asking for actual designs.  It was a question the investor was interested in.  What would it look like is more like a concept than an actual design.
Thank you for replying.

bob
2015-9-23
Use props
bob cooper
lvl.1

United States

Kengineer Posted at 2015-9-22 18:55
No No No It would look like a simple sticker that said, do not fly indoors or carelessly hit control ...

Kengineer,
Thank you for your reply.  I have to admit that I'm not much of a pilot. I'm trying to change that, but at the moment I only fly in open fields with no one around.  I completely get that what I did was stupid.  I chop it up to human error, not equipment error.
bob
2015-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules