Flying two Phantom 3's close in range
2325 10 2015-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ebeez88
lvl.2

Canada

I have a question. A friend and I were attempting to both fly our phantoms (1 Pro and 1 Adv) together. When we turned on 1 phantom and transmitter the radio quality was "good". When we turned on the second transmitter and phantiom both signals reported as "poor". Does anyone know what the distance both parties have to be apart in order to get a good signal? We walked a coupled of 100 feet apart but both still reported "poor". As a result we did not flty at the same time but I can't get my head around not being able to fly within range of each other if the transmitters are auto-selevting their own channels.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2015-9-19
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is a good question that I've always wondered, too...
2015-9-19
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

Might ask Ray and Willie, they flew together a while back.  See Willie's post here:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-28351-1-1.html
2015-9-19
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

And here http://forum.dji.com/thread-31640-1-1.html i flew with a 3DR solo and did not have any problems at all.

The key to flying two phantoms with no issues is manually select a channel and if that is not a good option then do the extra channel hack mentioned here http://forum.dji.com/thread-27113-1-1.html .

I hope this helps you in flying worry free.
2015-9-19
Use props
ebeez88
lvl.2

Canada

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-9-19 15:07
And here http://forum.dji.com/thread-31640-1-1.html i flew with a 3DR solo and did not have any prob ...

Awesome video and thanks for the replies! Will give it a shot.
2015-9-19
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

I flew once with my cousin who has a P3A, while I flew my P3P. There were some squirelly things happening in the first few minutes so I landed and powered down. I immediately powered back up and had no more problems the next couple flights. I know there are millions of combo's with these radios and I would have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting close enough for issues but, It was scary for a minute. Just my experience on one instance as we have not been together flying since. I would be cautious for the first few seconds when flying with a "twin."
2015-9-19
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

I assumed setting the channel to AUTOMATIC would allow the Phantom to change frequencies by itself upon losing a signal.
Eg; (Sudden interference on channel 5.., switches to channel 26, keeps flying)
But it seems like people are saying it doesn't?

So AUTO just allows the Phantom to chose a channel.., but only once for the entire flight?
Or.., its just not good enough at detecting interference?
2015-9-20
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

I have flown with a friend a few feet apart with no issues.
2015-9-20
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Kit Walker Posted at 2015-9-20 04:58
I assumed setting the channel to AUTOMATIC would allow the Phantom to change frequencies by itself u ...

The phantom has a good channel auto hopping BUT somehow and sometimes it just becomes confused or something and you have to switch to manual then auto and then it works perfect.
2015-9-20
Use props
al.zamorski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256362 ft
United States

I was flying once when someone showed up with a P3A and as soon as th other launched and started flying  I all of a sudden started to get poor signal . So I think he was using same channel as I . I moved away and and he landed a little bit later and the issue stopped. Haven't had anyone else flying near me since.
2015-9-20
Use props
ebeez88
lvl.2

Canada

I was able to enable the 32 channels again. I turned on my tbs and transmitter and then my phantom 3 transmitter. I had a poor signal then selected channel 32 on the P3 and signal was good. seems fine now.
2015-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules