ATTI saved me!
1302 11 2015-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

Little bit windy here today.  Did my preflight checks etc.  When I Took off the P3 took off to the SW.  I quicky gave it it some altitude and threw it in ATTI Mode and Wow was it windy.  I checked and the wind was suppose to be out of the NW at 13-14 MPH but Atti showed me 25 from NW.   I turned it towards me which was into the wind and I was having a hard time getting a good spot to land it in with the wind.  I have got to learn to hand catch it!   it got near the landing and another gust pushed it sideways into tall grass and it landed on its props.  Checked it out and everything is fine.  How do  you get grass stains off the plastic props?

Waited about a half hour after I checked the P3 Pro for signs of any damage and seeing none It took everthing I had to try it again.  I found another place to launch and re-calibrated the compass just incase there was a problem in case that was the problem.   Took it straight up to about 12 feet and it was doing fine keeping its position considering the 13 MPH wind.  Seeing everything was fine put in an hour of flying and testing way points.
Crash.jpg
2015-9-19
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

s

Grass stain removal = Mr Clean Magic eraser...

Glad to see you were able to save your craft in atti mode!
2015-9-19
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2015-9-19 13:43
Grass stain removal = Mr Clean Magic eraser...

Glad to see you were able to save your craft in atti ...

Thanks, I will give it a try.
2015-9-19
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

Magic Eraser for me as well.
2015-9-19
Use props
bradp
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1602054 ft
United States

Denatured alcohol for me
2015-9-19
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

Keep the stains, and the insect blood.  Proof of battle.
But why do you think it was a GPS problem?
Why do you think that you needed to go to ATTI mode?

How will you hand catch it if both hands are busy flying it in ATTI mode?  Thats a good way of getting a face full of props.
2015-9-19
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

You probably had wind gusts, and that is what you need to watch for plus there is thermal layers higher that carry more wind.

I always test hover in wind very close to me within hand reach in gps mode, if it does not keep its position in the wind then its a no go for flying, never do attitude mode in wind unless you are trying to fly against the wind to bring it home.
2015-9-19
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

liningiv Posted at 2015-9-19 14:01
Keep the stains, and the insect blood.  Proof of battle.
But why do you think it was a GPS problem?

It took of sw on its own then veered to the south fairly fast and that was as soon as I lifted off.  So I had to gain altitude or it was going to hit into slightly higher ground.  I have never had compass or GPS problems before so I do not know what the problem was.   I brought it back toward me which was into the wind so I was able to control it pretty well in ATTI mode.   I really don't think it was GPS problems because I had plenty of sats (16).  It was just strange.   But ATTI gave control back to me.
2015-9-19
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-9-19 14:14
You probably had wind gusts, and that is what you need to watch for plus there is thermal layers hig ...

Yes, I test hover also and check left, right, forward and back but this time it did not give me a chance to test hover as it just took off so fast all I could think of was up up up ATTI away!.
2015-9-19
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Sir Edward K Posted at 2015-9-19 15:39
Yes, I test hover also and check left, right, forward and back but this time it did not give me a  ...

LOL OMG thats is so funny, glad you saved it.
2015-9-19
Use props
Bobcat90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2517654 ft
  • >>>
Taiwan

I am thinking seriously about hand catching, too.  This morning, I was out shooting , and so happen to meet a guy who came in the same area to take some vids with his P3.  As I was struggling against the wind to bring my P3 down to land, he just simply and with ease, hand caught his P3.   Afterwards,  I felt like I had been doing things the hard way all this time.
2015-9-20
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Windex will clean the Props. Been there, done that, bought the T-Shirt.
2015-9-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules