12Next >
5523 49 2015-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

I was finally able to do that 24 waypoint 6500' Litchi GS (ground station) flight today after much trepidation and  fear for my bird.  The flight went so seemlessly and smoothly I was a feeling a little foolish.

I had a 9 min video but I removed most  of the nauseating  portions of the recording. I can upload the unedited version if anyone is interested in a amusement park ride.  I messed up on setting alot of the headings for the waypoints correctly.  CCW and CC directions when rotating to a new heading.   Instead of moving just 10 degrees, the Phantom would turn all the way around the opposite direction 350 degrees to get there.  Looks like from my viewpoint on the tablet are reversed with regards of what the bird sees, (not entirely sure yet).  

Now I am not a professional videographer, I just had a polarizer installed with all auto exposure settings.  Be kind, rewind.

[backcolor=rgba(28, 28, 28, 0.8)]https://youtu.be/X3YAKwplRSo

Jim

2015-9-20
Use props
EL SID
lvl.2

United States

I also used the Litchi App today to try out waypoints and found it easy to setup the way points without having to be up in the air. The bird flew it flawlessly. What I have not figured out is how to set up the altitude. It defaulted to 98 feet and that was fine for this first run. I did also notice my display was more stable with this app.
2015-9-20
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

Congratulations.  I like the mist coming off the water.  So you were controlling camera while it was going from point to point?  How close was it to the predicted amount of time?
2015-9-20
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Glad you made it back safe, Litchi is very nice specially Orbit mode is the best as i have tried all its functions, beats all other apps and the programmer must have read my post on my idea and stole it which is the follow me mode, as he made an app to be operated on another device and it sends the gps data to the main app that is connected to the controller and you get follow me without holding the controller or give it to the subject who wants to be followed while you hold the controller for immediate intervention if needed.

In waypoints i wish the phantom looks at the POI's we set so that would be like instant focus while passing that POI then switches focus to the next POI and so on....
2015-9-20
Use props
noticon75
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14698 ft

United States

Am I missing the video?  I don't see it!
2015-9-20
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

noticon75 Posted at 2015-9-20 20:20
Am I missing the video?  I don't see it!

made the video public,,,

2015-9-20
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

Sir Edward K Posted at 2015-9-20 19:20
Congratulations.  I like the mist coming off the water.  So you were controlling camera while it was ...

Nope,  Litchi was controlling the camera,  I basically told it where to point at each waypoint and at what angle for the gimbal,  range is from +30 degrees above horizon, horizon is 0, straight down is -90.   I had a bunch of angles programmed because  I wanted see what is visible at 15,30 60 75, ect.... I edited those out because it was too jarring to see.  I can upload the original unedited video so you can see what I started with...  took a couple of hours to edit.    I am still a little unsure about how to program the heading so it does go all around the back way.    With practice and careful planning , I imagine that people can get their videos in just one flight.  I did this with 50 percent battery left.
What surprised me is that I took off in F mode and just pressed "play"  (after verifying stabilty) then confirmed.  All I had to do is watch it fly all around then land next to me, so.. so.. awesome!  The combined technology of DJI and Lichi is a match made in .......

Jim
2015-9-20
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-9-20 19:35
Glad you made it back safe, Litchi is very nice specially Orbit mode is the best as i have tried all ...

That's what I should have done, Willie Wonka.  Would've taken a lot less time to setup, not to mention eliminating mistakes in camera orientation and angle.  But I enjoyed the planning process.  
2015-9-21
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
United States

First, very interesting video, very clean and smooth. Congratulations!

Glad to hear you made back safely, I'm yet to try the same.

1:50, very nice. I stopped wondering were I was.

Second, as a suggestion for the next mission, once you change the scene, make sure to a quick point to move the came fast to a good height. High or low. The camera going up or down very slowly is only best if straight ahead... on my opinion that is.

Cheers.
2015-9-21
Use props
draadkar
lvl.3

Nigeria

Very impressive indeed. please advise me on the software, Litchi, compared to the DJI go app? can both apps be on the same tablet and if so can they be used alternatively ?
2015-9-21
Use props
IMBULINATOR
lvl.2

United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-9-20 18:35
Glad you made it back safe, Litchi is very nice specially Orbit mode is the best as i have tried all ...

an app to be operated on another device and it sends the gps data to the main app that is connected to the controller and you get follow me without holding the controller or give it to the subject who wants to be followed while you hold the controller for immediate intervention if needed.

It sounds interesting but I'm not sure I complete understand what you are trying to say.
You can make it follow someone else than the person holding the remote?
Can you detail a bit more?
2015-9-21
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

IMBULINATOR Posted at 2015-9-21 15:47
an app to be operated on another device and it sends the gps data to the main app that is connecte ...

Yes exactly, a person will be holding a beacon phone which transmits it's GPS data to the main tablet or phone that is connected to the R/C, and that in turn sends the phantom following the person holding the beacon phone.

Sorry english is my third language, sometimes my explanation is not understood.
2015-9-21
Use props
Joe Blow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

Thanks for sharing CaveDrone....great flight and nice video
2015-9-21
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

Paniza Posted at 2015-9-21 08:53
First, very interesting video, very clean and smooth. Congratulations!

Glad to hear you made back  ...

Thanks for the Tip!   I glad you liked it.   I wasn't trying for prizes or anything,  just testing the LITCHI app.
2015-9-21
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

draadkar Posted at 2015-9-21 11:51
Very impressive indeed. please advise me on the software, Litchi, compared to the DJI go app? can bo ...

I do have both Apps on my Tablet,  Litchi is set for default for usb connection,  you will have to go to settings and  clear default settings for Litchi or DJI go app.   When after turning on the controller you will be asked select the  DJI or Litche app pick on then choose "just once"
2015-9-21
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

Joe Blow Posted at 2015-9-21 17:00
Thanks for sharing CaveDrone....great flight and nice video

Thanks, Joe Blow!
2015-9-21
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

Sir Edward K Posted at 2015-9-20 19:20
Congratulations.  I like the mist coming off the water.  So you were controlling camera while it was ...

Thanks, Sir Edward K  (bowing)  LOL
2015-9-21
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-9-21 17:55
Thanks, Sir Edward K  (bowing)  LOL

Your Welcome Squire CaveDrone.
2015-9-21
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-9-20 20:43
made the video public,,,

https://youtu.be/X3YAKwplRSo

Awesome Job CaveDrone!  I've been going back and forth with which program I want to use as my primary.  I see pro's and con's on both of them!
2015-9-21
Use props
draadkar
lvl.3

Nigeria

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-9-21 23:51
I do have both Apps on my Tablet,  Litchi is set for default for usb connection,  you will have to ...

thanks. let me get the Litchi then
2015-9-21
Use props
sdharris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 384967 ft
United Kingdom

Great shots of the water and tree tops. Is there a setting in Litchi to slow the gimbal before stopping as some of the gimbal movements end abruptly?
2015-9-22
Use props
CrashTest Dummy
lvl.2

Canada

very nice video...Where was it taken? Looks like it would make a great golf course! (my second love)
I  shouldn't have watched it on my big screen (65") .. It made me a little dizzy, but still enjoyed it very much.
2015-9-22
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
United States

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-9-22 06:43
Thanks for the Tip!   I glad you liked it.   I wasn't trying for prizes or anything,  just testing ...

I tried to use it last night but gave up for the night.

The issue was that I went to DJI GO to set the camera and once back to Litchi, it was not able to connect to the camera.

I'm betting it was because GO was active. I will try to test again tonight.
2015-9-22
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

Paniza Posted at 2015-9-22 06:41
I tried to use it last night but gave up for the night.

The issue was that I went to DJI GO to se ...

Paniza,  Yes the last app tends to keep running in the background, Gotta close it manually.  Good Luck, HAVE FUN ABOVE  ALL ELSE...
2015-9-22
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

CrashTest Dummy Posted at 2015-9-22 06:30
very nice video...Where was it taken? Looks like it would make a great golf course! (my second love) ...

Thanks, CrashTest Dummy!    For golfing, I imagine the water hazard may be too much for most golfers, LOL      If were dizzy with this one, good thing I edited out all of the other wrong way spins for heading change!  Make me dizzy on much smaller 24 inch monitor!
2015-9-22
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

sdharris Posted at 2015-9-22 04:45
Great shots of the water and tree tops. Is there a setting in Litchi to slow the gimbal before stopp ...

sdharris,  I haven't found a setting to slow the gimbal,  what happens is that when you chance the gimba settings between waypoints, Lichi adjusts the gimbal to the next setting as it is approaching that waypoint.  if the waypoints are close together then it moves a lot faster.   I had too many waypoints so the gimbal was zipping up and down, at around the 2 min mark,  My waypoints were much father apart.
2015-9-22
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

jayhkr Posted at 2015-9-21 23:14
Awesome Job CaveDrone!  I've been going back and forth with which program I want to use as my prim ...

Thanks, jayhkr!   I really love Litchi  helps close the gap between the "haves and have nots"  flying skill wise
2015-9-22
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

Sir Edward K Posted at 2015-9-21 18:50
Your Welcome Squire CaveDrone.

You honor me, Kind sir,
2015-9-22
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-9-22 07:08
Thanks, jayhkr!   I really love Litchi  helps close the gap between the "haves and have nots"  fly ...

Agreed, just wish we could view calibration stuff on it. If they added that it would be my GO TO app hands down. But dji still holds its place.
2015-9-22
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Canada

I finally was able to give a go for Litchi waypoints.

That thing made me itchi.

... but worked out ok.

It is a bit tricky and sometimes it turn around on the wrong side.

The biggest issue, the movie out of the camera. Looks terrible. I left on automatic, for lack of better option.

I will try to create a course while the subway.

2015-9-22
Use props
brycerichert
lvl.3
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-9-22 04:38
Yes exactly, a person will be holding a beacon phone which transmits it's GPS data to the main tab ...

I've used a badelf for that... is that what you mean?
2015-9-22
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

brycerichert Posted at 2015-9-23 01:50
I've used a badelf for that... is that what you mean?

Nope not badelf, I will demo it on video maybe next weekend and you will see what i mean.
2015-9-22
Use props
Phuglie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

Do you have to set the orientation (YAW) of the P3? You can't take control yourself as you fly the path?
2015-9-23
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

Phuglie Posted at 2015-9-23 06:14
Do you have to set the orientation (YAW) of the P3? You can't take control yourself as you fly the p ...

Looks like you will have to set the Yaw (heading) for each way-point (not really sure if you can change as you fly)   or drop a POI along the path for it to focus on.   This is Beta software so things are still being added,  detailed documentation is somewhat sparse.  Here is a link to answer further questions regarding Way-Point missions.  

http://www.flylitchi.com/help#waypoints-p3

2015-9-23
Use props
Phuglie
Second Officer
United Kingdom

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-9-23 23:36
Looks like you will have to set the Yaw (heading) for each way-point (not really sure if you can ch ...

Thanks - a quick read reveals that you can control the heading yourself if you want to - just choose 'User Controlled' when setting up your 'mission'. Perhaps next time you fly you can try this one - it stops the recording of nauseous footage
2015-9-24
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
United States

Phuglie Posted at 2015-9-24 05:55
Thanks - a quick read reveals that you can control the heading yourself if you want to - just choo ...

Hopefully I will do that next time,  I wanted to keep an close eye on my bird VLOS when I did that last flight, if i had looked at the video stream I would"ve lost track of where it was.  At 11 mph, it was moving fairly quickly
2015-9-24
Use props
Phuglie
Second Officer
United Kingdom

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-9-24 12:44
Hopefully I will do that next time,  I wanted to keep an close eye on my bird VLOS when I did that ...

It's all a matter of practise! Even CAA approved pilots get it wrong - we have a news item on an i1 falling on a woman's roof and creating a big hole before hitting her patios where her young daughter's party was in full swing!

Your mission looked quite big - you were able to see the quad LOS at all times?
2015-9-25
Use props
Joe Blow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

Phuglie Posted at 2015-9-25 05:10
It's all a matter of practise! Even CAA approved pilots get it wrong - we have a news item on an i ...

I keep my DJI in sight at all times!  All I have to do is look at my iPad attached to the controller.
2015-9-25
Use props
Phuglie
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Joe Blow Posted at 2015-9-25 11:22
I keep my DJI in sight at all times!  All I have to do is look at my iPad attached to the controll ...

¡Muy divertido!

Thanks for your input - I'm not that confident with the quad to go FPV or just use the video feed exclusively - as I've seen how misleading that can be - you can't tell how close objects truly are. Maybe it comes with repeated use - but that's a long-distant project for me.

Tengo muchas ganas a su informe de accidente! (Broma)
2015-9-25
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

Phuglie Posted at 2015-9-25 05:34
¡Muy divertido!

Thanks for your input - I'm not that confident with the quad to go FPV or just u ...

"but that's a long-distant project for me"

very funny. I got it.
But really it probably helps more saving you from accidents than causing any.  Orientation is confusing without FPV.   Can you imagine the first time pilots were told to trust non visual flying?
2015-9-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules