Ronin M Thumb controller dead
8175 26 2015-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
4K Aerial
lvl.1

Australia

after recently applying the new updates to Ronin-M I also upgraded the software on the thumb controller and now
it's dead. Won't switch on, won't connect and won't charge........HELP!!!!!!
2015-9-20
Use props
DJI-Cathy
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Please follow to force upgrade your thumb controller:
1. find a pen or pin press the hole at the back of the thumb controller and keep holding it
2. connect the USB cable from the thumb controller to your PC
3. open the ronin-m assistant software v1.9 and upgrade thumb controller again

Besides, later if you want to upgrade your thumb controller, make sure your thumb controller is connected to your PC via USB cable
2015-9-23
Use props
mr.pinky
New

Italy

Same issue here. Upgrade done with USB, then controller dead. No way to turn on or reset with back button.
2015-9-29
Use props
dansouliere
lvl.2
Canada

I see a growing trend.

Don't ever upgrade anything on any DJI Ronin product.
2015-9-29
Use props
boey
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

same problem with mine.... don't see why this would happen. Maybe the next firmware upgrade will have a workaround for this?
2015-9-30
Use props
boey
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

mr.pinky@hotmai Posted at 2015-9-29 16:52
Same issue here. Upgrade done with USB, then controller dead. No way to turn on or reset with back b ...

ok so i managed to figure it out. you'll prob need an extra set of hands for this by the way.

1. First push in the back button with a pen or paperclip or whatever.
2. while that's pushed in push and hold the power button. (it should turn on the red light)
3. this is where the extra hands come in, plug the usb back into to thumb controller and the app should recognize it this time allowing you to upgrade the thumb controller and then BAM. Back to life!
2015-9-30
Use props
mr.pinky
New

Italy

boey@live.ca Posted at 2015-10-1 06:51
ok so i managed to figure it out. you'll prob need an extra set of hands for this by the way.

1.  ...

You made my day. I've noticed the red light while pushing the power button and the reset button, but nothing happened. Now I tried for the second time and it worked like a charm.

The only problem is that I can only upgrade the Thumb controller FW, not the Radio and the Receiver Radio to v1.0, the app still crashing and every time I've to restore with the button combo you've discovered. Does the Radio/Radio Receiver FW works for you?

Thanks mate.
2015-10-1
Use props
boey
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

mr.pinky@hotmai Posted at 2015-10-1 07:59
You made my day. I've noticed the red light while pushing the power button and the reset button, b ...

No worries!
Yeah unfortunately I couldn't get the receiver updates to work either. Kept bricking it.
The thumb controller does seem to work fine without it for now so I guess we will have to wait and see if DJI comes out with a fix for that firmware update process :/
2015-10-1
Use props
ek
lvl.1

Chile

I have a Ronin M and just ordered the Thumb controller from B&H, does it connect automatically when the Ronin is turned on and the Thumb controller? Sorry but cannot find any information. Will be using the Ronin M in Miami next week and wanted to try out the thumb controller. My current Macbook pro that I will be taking does not run the latest or any gimbal software on it, I have installed stuff from another computer at home... And I use the iphone with os 8 to calibrate on location. Will I need anything else to use the thumb controller when I get there? Thanks a lot for any help with this..
EricPS. The thumb controller is connected via cable or is it bluetooth?
2015-10-8
Use props
DJI-Cathy
lvl.4

Hong Kong

ek@ericknorpp.c Posted at 2015-10-8 23:46
I have a Ronin M and just ordered the Thumb controller from B&H, does it connect automatically when  ...

You need link the thumb controller to your Ronin-M,  the connection between the thumb controller and your Ronin-M is 2.4G signal
2015-10-8
Use props
DJI-Cathy
lvl.4

Hong Kong

boey@live.ca Posted at 2015-10-1 12:51

1.  ...

Great! any other customer had the issue can follow to try
2015-10-8
Use props
ek
lvl.1

Chile

I just bought a Thumb controller from BH and I have a Ronin M Bought in July and they do not connect? I turn both on and the thumb controller does not connect?
Is there anything special I have to do? Or is it because I may have older firmware in the Ronin M? I did not want to update to the latest firmware as I have seen many in here complaining about it..
Can some one direct to me the requirements for the thumb controller? I would appreciate any help, do I have to activate through the gimbal software on the computer first?
Thanks
Eric
2015-10-16
Use props
ek
lvl.1

Chile

ek@ericknorpp.c Posted at 2015-10-16 21:39
I just bought a Thumb controller from BH and I have a Ronin M Bought in July and they do not connect ...

OK, Now I have installed the latest firmware on the Ronin M and the thumb controller still does not connect, Just a Blinking red light? Can someone help out? Also I notice on the Thumb Controller page it says you must have IMU firmware of 3.0? I am on a macintosh with the 2.0 Gimbal installer and there is not update further than 1.4??? Am I missing something? Sure would be great to get some help..
I have tried everything, The 2.0 recognized my thumb controller but like the above poster it crashes when I try installing the receiver updater and I have to do the Paperclip trick to get it working again. But I never had connection to my Ronin M with the thumb controller??? Can some one please help out with any suggestion. In the tutorial videos it shows most just turning on their ronin m's and the thumb controller and it connects automatically..???
Thanks
2015-10-19
Use props
ek
lvl.1

Chile

DJI-Cathy Posted at 2015-10-8 23:03
You need link the thumb controller to your Ronin-M,  the connection between the thumb controller a ...

What do you mean I have to link it? I have to turn on my Ronin M and then the controller right? So that is exactly what I am doing.
Can you be more specific? Bc your answer is pretty useless as I have turned on the thumb controller and ronin m, it should link together automatically as re Videos on Youtube!!

**I just found a great tutorial on how to bind the 2, Since no freakin Chinese in here can speak or write proper English, It is NOT like your videos on Youtube saying you just have turn Both the Ronin and Thumb controller on, You have to get a paper clip and push next to the Bind light ON the Ronin m!!! Last penny I am spending on Chinese products with Zero Customer service. Get some one who can write in proper English for Heavens sakes!!! Your going to lose a lot of business from complaints of Shitty Customer service!!!!
If Cathy could have just said that from the beginning I would have saved a week of searching and asking!! I cannot believe the Crappy Chinese Chinglish in here!!

Here is the video so no one else has to wait for some stupid chinglish response!!!!

2015-10-19
Use props
khairil.safarin
lvl.1

Malaysia

My Dji Ronin M thumb controller also have a problem. Suddenly blank/shut off....Now cannot power up, charging and update the software..Already try a few option as suggested above(Dji Cathy and Boey) but still doesn't work...Appreciate somebody can help me on this...
2015-10-24
Use props
ek
lvl.1

Chile

khairil.safarin Posted at 2015-10-24 09:53
My Dji Ronin M thumb controller also have a problem. Suddenly blank/shut off....Now cannot power up, ...

I had the same thing happen you have to do the paperclip trick posted some where in here, Put a paperclip in the hole of the thumb controller, hold down the power button and plug the controller via usb to the computer with the application on screen, you might need and extra hand, my wife helped me.
This will allow you to reinstall the firmware and it works again, do not update firmware in the option as it will die again, atleast on a macintosh..
2015-10-24
Use props
khairil.safarin
lvl.1

Malaysia

Thanks Ek for the advise. However it is still failed to power up after follow all option as suggested. I have tried and hold it up to 10s, 20s and 30s. All failed. Is that the thumb itself have a problem or should i send back to the shop that  i have bought?
2015-10-24
Use props
franky
New

Germany

hello forum,

i just buy the ronin-m and the thumb controller "tc".
after 3 times "tryin out" the tc will not connect with the ronin-m.
i connect the tc to the pc, open the dji gimbal assistant, click on upgrade.
i click on "receiver - new version available: 1.0, click on upgrade and on OK

now i can press the power button and the tc does not turn on anymore.

i press the override button, connect to the pc like the manual say. i see a red light that it!!!

i try it also like boey say
"1. First push in the back button with a pen or paperclip or whatever.
2. while that's pushed in push and hold the power button. (it should turn on the red light)
3. this is where the extra hands come in, plug the usb back into to thumb controller and the app should recognize it this time allowing you to upgrade the thumb controller "

but nothing!!

what can i do now???

thx 4 helping

frank
2016-1-12
Use props
mandazhiev
New
United States

Same Problem!!!!!!
after 3 times "tryin out" the tc will not connect with the ronin-m.
i connect the tc to the pc, open the dji gimbal assistant, click on upgrade.
i click on "receiver - new version available: 1.0, click on upgrade and on OK

now i can press the power button and the tc does not turn on anymore.

i press the override button, connect to the pc like the manual say. i see a red light that it!!!

i try it also like boey say
"1. First push in the back button with a pen or paperclip or whatever.
3. this is where the extra hands come in, plug the usb back into to thumb controller and the app should recognize it this time allowing you to upgrade the thumb controller "

but nothing!!
2016-1-12
Use props
writelucas
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24790 ft

United States

franky Posted at 2016-1-12 05:48
hello forum,

I have the same issue. Tried this method but no power and no light. It just looks completely dead.
2016-1-12
Use props
DJI-Cathy
lvl.4

Hong Kong

writelucas@iclo Posted at 2016-1-13 10:32
I have the same issue. Tried this method but no power and no light. It just looks completely dead.

Did you figure it out? when you press the whole at the back of the controller, you need a pin to make sure the button is pressed.
2016-2-1
Use props
writelucas
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24790 ft

United States

DJI-Cathy Posted at 2016-2-1 18:11
Did you figure it out? when you press the whole at the back of the controller, you need a pin to ma ...

Yes, DJI asked for it so I sent it in. They ended up replacing it. Seems unit broke.
2016-2-3
Use props
DJI-Cathy
lvl.4

Hong Kong

writelucas@iclo Posted at 2016-2-4 09:03
Yes, DJI asked for it so I sent it in. They ended up replacing it. Seems unit broke.

OK, thanks
2016-2-3
Use props
sbernard
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37562 ft
France

Hello,

I had the same issue and I solved it by installing the last version of Ronin-M Assistant Software v2.2. With this last version and applying the procedure of boey, it's ok for thumb controler, it works fine again.

Stéphane.
2016-2-6
Use props
tim.farmer
New

United Kingdom

Hi,

I'm having problems with my Ronin M controller.

I went to charge it yesterday and at first the battery icon came up with the bars going up to show it was charging. But after a few minutes the the battery icon just started flashing as empty and now it won't turn on at all!!

I've come back to it today, plugged the USB in and the same again, its starts charging and then a few minutes later it flashes as empty and won't turn on. If I leave it plugged into the USB te empty battery intermittently flashes on screen.

I've tried ways to reset it:

1. Connect to USB - Press and hold reset - press power button - not recognised by DJI Assistant
2. Press and hold reset - press power button - insert USB - not regonised by DJI Assistant.

It's completely dead.....please HELP!

Thanks

Tim

2016-5-11
Use props
4K Aerial
lvl.1

Australia

tim.farmer@odb. Posted at 2016-5-11 19:33
Hi,

I'm having problems with my Ronin M controller.

Is it the Thumb Controller?
2016-8-18
Use props
Arsen Mirzakhanyan
New

Armenia

Hello dji ronin m when you turn on the remote control it automatically goes to the left
2018-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules