3814 31 9-5 07:59
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dji.blitzk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2061453 ft
  • >>>
United States

Many questions online about this.  The manual states something about having wifi beacon...   

looking to hear from DJI directly.   Otherwise this drone cannot be used for any commercial purposes in the US,  without having to add an external RID module (which, I'm sure the youtubers that have reviewed it so far have not done!)

9-5 07:59
Use props
fichek
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1289590 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

https://support.dji.com/help/con ... p;re=US&lang=en this is the space to watch, no updates as of yet, but my guess would be no, just like the "new" Mini 4K.
9-5 08:28
Use props
Giroro
lvl.1

United States

I can find no information whatsoever on Remote ID for this drone (this looks deliberate, as it could create some plausible deniability for pre-launch sponsored/influencer content and even fair product reviews, all of which is commercial).
My assumption is that no, there is no Remote ID,. They would really want to tell us, if it did.
As far as I know, there is no commercially-available production, quadcopter drone that meets all the safety, weight, and remote ID requirements needed to legally fly over a group of people in the US (even though the requirements have been in place for, like, 2 years). A DJI Neo with Remote ID *Might* have been the first to meet those requirements - which would have been a big win to celebrate.

Until we hear otherwise, it should be assumed that it is illegal for customers in the US to shoot any content with a DJI Neo with the intention of making money, even if you are a commercially licensed pilot. At least not without a bulky remote ID module and of course registration.
9-5 11:45
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 6260171 ft
  • >>>
United States

about half way down this page, the amazon listing for the dji neo says "no remote ids"

we don't need no stinkin' ids.  

in the context as if you don't need licenses, permits, or ids to fly this tiny drone  

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obid ... /mavichelp5-20?th=1
9-5 15:19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there,

Thank You for reaching out. We are truly sorry for the inconvenience you are experiencing. DJI Neo built-in RID, currently only supports Chinese and Japanese RID only. In the US, non-commercial use drones less than 250 grams do not require the addition of a RID module. If you are using it for commercial use, you need to add a third party RID module.

I hope this information has helped to clarify your inquiries. If you have any other questions, kindly let us know. Thank You!
9-6 23:54
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

fichek Posted at 9-5 08:28
https://support.dji.com/help/content?customId=en-us03400007747&spaceId=34&pbc=mF6h4ZTt&re=US&lang=en this is the space to watch, no updates as of yet, but my guess would be no, just like the "new" Mini 4K.

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing you information, please take note on the #5 comment for your additonal information on DJI Neo. If you have any other questions, kindly let us know. Thank You!
9-6 23:56
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Giroro Posted at 9-5 11:45
I can find no information whatsoever on Remote ID for this drone (this looks deliberate, as it could create some plausible deniability for pre-launch sponsored/influencer content and even fair product reviews, all of which is commercial).
My assumption is that no, there is no Remote ID,. They would really want to tell us, if it did.
As far as I know, there is no commercially-available production, quadcopter drone that meets all the safety, weight, and remote ID requirements needed to legally fly over a group of people in the US (even though the requirements have been in place for, like, 2 years). A DJI Neo with Remote ID *Might* have been the first to meet those requirements - which would have been a big win to celebrate.

Thank You for sharing your information, kindly take note on #5 comment. If you have any other questions, kindly let us know. Thank You!
9-6 23:58
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

The Saint Posted at 9-5 15:19
about half way down this page, the amazon listing for the dji neo says "no remote ids"

we don't need no stinkin' ids.  

Hi there,

As mentioned on #5 comment please take note it has built-in remote ID but it only support for Japan and China only. I hope this information has helped to clarify your inquiries. If you have any other questions, kindly let us know. Thank You!
9-7 00:01
Use props
dji.blitzk
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for the reply.  

How does the Chinese and Japanese RID requirements differ from that of the US,  Technically?  
9-7 05:19
Use props
fansf240c01f
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12536706 ft
United States

dji.blitzk Posted at 9-7 05:19
Thank you for the reply.  

How does the Chinese and Japanese RID requirements differ from that of the US,  Technically?

In China, all drones require RID regardless of weight. And in Japan, any drone that weighs more than 100 grams requires RID.
9-7 07:33
Use props
dji.blitzk
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

fansf240c01f Posted at 9-7 07:33
In China, all drones require RID regardless of weight. And in Japan, any drone that weighs more than 100 grams requires RID.

So technically the RID is exactly the same, just the requirements are different?    If thats the case, why wouldn't it be enabled?   Makes so sense.  
9-7 08:04
Use props
Uzumaki-Naruto
lvl.1
Singapore

So for those who needed to travel to Japan? This Neo is marketed as a go to travel vlog drone and yet they do not activate Remote ID?
9-9 06:10
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
Philippines

dji.blitzk Posted at 9-7 08:04
So technically the RID is exactly the same, just the requirements are different?    If thats the case, why wouldn't it be enabled?   Makes so sense.

Are you asking why dji didn't get go ahead and turn on RID in teh United States as well?

So I could be wrong but I thought if you broadcast RID then your drone needs to be registered.  What good to anyone if RID being blasted but when you look up the registration, it's blank?  Sorta like a car driving on the road but the plate doesn't come back to anyone.  Seems confusing to me.
9-10 16:00
Use props
CappyA330
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38648 ft
United States

The Saint Posted at 9-10 16:00
Are you asking why dji didn't get go ahead and turn on RID in teh United States as well?

So I could be wrong but I thought if you broadcast RID then your drone needs to be registered.  What good to anyone if RID being blasted but when you look up the registration, it's blank?  Sorta like a car driving on the road but the plate doesn't come back to anyone.  Seems confusing to me.

RID and registration are unrelated.

I suspect the reason the Neo does not comply with US RID is because it cannot reliably report the location of the pilot, since the Neo can be flown without a controller.
9-10 18:42
Use props
Sandaliop
lvl.2

United States

CappyA330 Posted at 9-10 18:42

I suspect the reason the Neo does not comply with US RID is because it cannot reliably report the location of the pilot, since the Neo can be flown without a controller.

Sooo, how do we use a NEO legally with commercial intent?
9-14 07:49
Use props
Dirty Bird
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sandaliop Posted at 9-14 07:49

You mount a small RID module.
9-14 11:19
Use props
djiuser_Yr0ugEqPHJzg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9754 ft
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 9-6 23:54
Hi there,

Thank You for reaching out. We are truly sorry for the inconvenience you are experiencing. DJI Neo built-in RID, currently only supports Chinese and Japanese RID only. In the US, non-commercial use drones less than 250 grams do not require the addition of a RID module. If you are using it for commercial use, you need to add a third party RID module.

Does DJI make a RID module for this drone?
9-16 08:57
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Discussion:
That's not true, they are related.  I get what you are saying but I don't agree they are "unrelated."

If you are a recreational pilot and you login to the FAA database and you try to register a drone which has "standard RID = Yes" then you are forced to enter an RID serial number.

Registration (standard RID equipped) = RID serial number

Are they really "unrelated?"  I mean where else are RID details utilized other than the FAA registration database?
Not having RID in the NEO will ultimately present problems in the US.  My thinking is what happens if you put a heavy camera on top of your NEO and you register it with an external module (because it doesn't have standard RID) and you put a sticker on it.  Once that NEO is registered in the database, how can it be legally flown without the RID module?

Here's what I see over at the FAA (which also points out the nexus between registration and RID):

Remote Identification and Your Drone
Drones which are required to be registered or are registered, including those flown for recreation, business, or public safety, must comply with Remote ID.

9-18 18:36
Use props
berniep
lvl.3
Flight distance : 218691 ft
Austria

The Saint Posted at 9-18 18:36
Discussion:
That's not true, they are related.  I get what you are saying but I don't agree they are "unrelated."

You forgot to mention the defined FAA exceptions like 'less than 0.55 pounds (250 grams)".
9-18 23:28
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

dji.blitzk Posted at 9-7 05:19
Thank you for the reply.  

Hi there,

According to the regulations of the US Federal Aviation Administration, drones weighing more than 250 g are required to support RID. DJI Neo does not require this feature because the takeoff weight of DJI Neo is only 135 g.

I hope this information has helped to clarify your inquiries. If you have any other questions, kindly let us know. Thank You!
9-19 00:40
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Uzumaki-Naruto Posted at 9-9 06:10
So for those who needed to travel to Japan? This Neo is marketed as a go to travel vlog drone and yet they do not activate Remote ID?

Hi there,

Thank you for your inquiry, kindly take note that the option will not be displayed when Consumer drones are used outside Japan or China. If users need to view Remote ID, they can view it when using their drone in Japan or China.

9-19 00:46
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Thanks for sharing this information!  According to the regulations of the US FAA,  DJI Neo does not require this feature because the takeoff weight of DJI Neo is only 135 g.

9-19 00:49
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Sandaliop Posted at 9-14 07:49

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. For commercial use, the DJI Neo can be used with a third-party Remote ID (RID) module.

9-19 00:53
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

djiuser_Yr0ugEqPHJzg Posted at 9-16 08:57
Does DJI make a RID module for this drone?

Hi there,

At the moment there is no official DJI RID module released, you can use third-party RID module for commercial usage.

9-19 00:55
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

berniep Posted at 9-18 23:28
You forgot to mention the defined FAA exceptions like 'less than 0.55 pounds (250 grams)".

I already said the NEO which weights less than 250g is not required to be registered when flown recreationally.  What about the rest of what I said?  There's a little bit more to it than that.  I said "if you put a camera on it and it weights more than 250g and you gp ahead and register your NEO, then what?"

Actually, you know what; never mind.  The rules are too confusing and complicated, I can understand if someone prefers to just keep it simple and just stick with the phrase "the NEO doesn't need to be registered" which is exactly what the flyers who are using NEO for commercial work are doing.  They are following all the posts here that says "The NEO doesn't need to be registered...."  Fine.  I would skip all the details and go with that if I owned the NEO.
9-19 02:28
Use props
OldGuy2024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 632428 ft
United States

To restate some of the above.  
1. No RID required for recreational use.  From the AMA website: "Recreational RC models with a flying weight of less than 250 grams are exempt from the Remote ID requirement, even when not flying at a FRIA; however, this exemption does not apply if the model is listed under the pilot’s FAA UAS recreational pilot registration (the FAADroneZone)."
2. Based on the Pilot Institute Neo YTube review video: RID required on all UASs including the NEO if you hold a Part 107 certification/registration.  From what I understand. You need a Part 107 remote pilot certification to fly a drone commercially in the USA.

Bottomline.  For recreational use. Why be concerned with RID for the NEO? Why would you add any additional mass of a modular RID to this lightweight and low powered quad?

9-19 13:38
Use props
CappyA330
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 9-18 18:36
Discussion:

It is true the FAA seems to conflate the issue, but ever since "registration" has been a thing with the FAA, it has been to register PILOTS if they are only flying for recreation. Those pilots are given ONE registration number to apply to ALL their UAS. Once you go above 249 grams, and/or register for commercial purposes, you now register each UAS (drone). That is the only time that registration and RemoteID are connected, because if it has standard RID, you have to add that to the UAS's registration.

Bottom line: As long as your UAS weighs less than 250 grams and you are only flying for recreation - you are only registering yourself - the PILOT - not the UAS. So no RID is required or listed. Hence, registration and RID are not related for sub-250 gram and recreational only.
9-23 06:31
Use props
CappyA330
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 9-19 02:28
I already said the NEO which weights less than 250g is not required to be registered when flown recreationally.  What about the rest of what I said?  There's a little bit more to it than that.  I said "if you put a camera on it and it weights more than 250g and you gp ahead and register your NEO, then what?"

Actually, you know what; never mind.  The rules are too confusing and complicated, I can understand if someone prefers to just keep it simple and just stick with the phrase "the NEO doesn't need to be registered" which is exactly what the flyers who are using NEO for commercial work are doing.  They are following all the posts here that says "The NEO doesn't need to be registered...."  Fine.  I would skip all the details and go with that if I owned the NEO.

The Neo itself does not need to be registered if flown for recreational purposes.

Technically, only the PILOT needs to be registered for ALL their sub-250 gram UAS flown recreationally. Take the TRUST test on the FAA web site, put a sticker with your FAA UAS number on your Neo and you are good to go.

Recreational fixed wing R/C pilots have been doing this for years. RID was the only new wrinkle, but it does not apply for recreational sub-250 grams.
9-23 06:36
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

CappyA330 Posted at 9-23 06:36
The Neo itself does not need to be registered if flown for recreational purposes.

Technically, only the PILOT needs to be registered for ALL their sub-250 gram UAS flown recreationally. Take the TRUST test on the FAA web site, put a sticker with your FAA UAS number on your Neo and you are good to go.

Unfortunately this is not true.

If you live in the US and the Neo is your first ever drone and you plan to only fly it for recreational purposes only while stock, you never have to visit the FAA website.  You only need to complete the TRUST.

Part of the registration process is "apply your registration sticker to your drone" so if you are not required to register than you are not required to apply a sticker.  Agreed for the registration process, the recreational pilot has one single registration number for all drones owned; however, if your only drone is that Neo, you have zero need for a sticker and technically not need to register "yourself."  I believe the "register yourself" details went away after the FAA decided recreational pilots needed to add their fleet to the database, but I could be wrong.  To me, the act of registration is going to the portal, adding your drone description, marking it as standard ID or else linking it to an RID module, and than attaching the sticker to the drone that appears in the database.  To me, a drone which bears a sticker which isn't in the database is useless (since the number could be any number) AND the FAA no longer allows you to input a drone into the database with no RID (legacy drones notwithstanding).

Ultimately the entire process is a cluster because one day Neo might get standard RID in the US, then what?  there are so many issues (which is fine, I understand it's not perfect) but it makes it super difficult for DJI to know what to do best for US customers.

I can assure you not a single Neo that I've seen has a sticker on it.  If it does then it likely has to be commercial or recreational with a module....or you added it (for whatever reason) and you don't remove it.  the FAA database is almost "worthless."
9-23 09:52
Use props
CappyA330
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 9-23 09:52
Unfortunately this is not true.

If you live in the US and the Neo is your first ever drone and you plan to only fly it for recreational purposes only while stock, you never have to visit the FAA website.  You only need to complete the TRUST.
All recreational pilots have to take the TRUST test and carry the results with you. Everyone does. That did not go away. The FAA needs ZERO information on a < 250 any of your UAS as long as you are flying recreationally. No Remote ID is required.

That said, if the Neo is flown commercially, the pilot must have a UAS Remote Pilot certificate ( Part 107), and the Neo must carry a Remote ID module.
9-26 07:07
Use props
OldGuy2024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 632428 ft
United States

CappyA330 Posted at 9-26 07:07
All recreational pilots have to take the TRUST test and carry the results with you. Everyone does. That did not go away. The FAA needs ZERO information on a < 250 any of your UAS as long as you are flying recreationally. No Remote ID is required.

That said, if the Neo is flown commercially, the pilot must have a UAS Remote Pilot certificate ( Part 107), and the Neo must carry a Remote ID module.

From the FAA website: The law requires that all recreational flyers pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test and provide proof of passage if asked by law enforcement or FAA personnel. The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST) was developed to meet this requirement.

For all the recreational Neo users  as noted multiple times in this thread no need to register yourself at FAA, register your Neo. But proof of TRUST is required in the USA. What happens when law enforcement asks for proof and you have none?  Guessing in most cases if not causing any issues flying your Neo. Just a warning and suggestion.  
Really feel the FAA is invasive and are dead set against even taking the TRUST test.  Just fly indoors. FAA has no jursdiction of that air space.
9-27 14:35
Use props
mayormike
lvl.2
Flight distance : 142631 ft
  • >>>
United States

And yet there are so many YouTube videos out there of the Neo and what it can do. If they are monetized, they are commercial. But I don't see any of them with external RID units. So how are they accomplishing this? Once you have a 107 certificate, my understanding is you must register all drones, regardless of weight. I had hopes this would qualify as a Class 1 drone, but the external RID would probably put it over the weight limit.
10-15 09:31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules