What do you shoot
1320 14 2015-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

So what do you shoot to compliment your I1 footage?

Dsrl
Blackmagic 2.5 or 4
Red one?

I am looking to upgrade my Dslr and wondering between the BM 2.5 or the 4
2015-9-23
Use props
Drew Vallejo
lvl.3
United States

I am in the same boat, was really looking to get the handheld gimbal to make the final decision but feel like that time is never coming. Have been really eyeing the BM cinema 4k. I figure at this point in the game, 4K is the way to go.
2015-10-2
Use props
GeneralToner
lvl.4

United States

Based on the discussions after X5 announcement, must be that everyone is using 10 yo mobile phones to maintain consistent quality.  I'm just glad that I am naive enough to be happy with the P3P and I1 footage (stills guy started this flying/video thing with the I1).
2015-10-3
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Drew Vallejo Posted at 2015-10-2 22:22
I am in the same boat, was really looking to get the handheld gimbal to make the final decision but  ...

You might not have to wait that much longer. Have you seen this?

Dave
2015-10-3
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-10-4 14:56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= ...

Oooh, a tease!   Love it!    Are you hinting this will be the handheld gimbal?   
2015-10-3
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-10-3 23:09
Oooh, a tease!   Love it!    Are you hinting this will be the handheld gimbal?

I am not 100% sure, but I did notice that there was no aerial footage.
2015-10-4
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-10-5 01:04
I am not 100% sure, but I did notice that there was no aerial footage.

Ha ha!  You're the best Dave.   
2015-10-4
Use props
Drew Vallejo
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-10-4 11:56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= ...

I just saw that! I ended up ordering a new camera rig anyways so will be looking forward to comparing when I finally get the DJI handheld gimbal.
2015-10-5
Use props
SimplePanda
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I shoot Blackmagic on the ground. My "personal" cinema camera (specifically, the one I own / purchased with my own funds) is a Cinema 2.5k. It makes amazing images and the RAW mode will blow your mind if you're coming from a DSLR.

I wouldn't get too hung up on 4k vs 2k, etc. 4k is great but understand that there is a lot that goes into a quality image and resolution is really a minor part when you're working at 2k and above. I'd take 1080p video from a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema camera ($1000 without a lens) over everything I've seen at 4k from the new DJI X5, for example. The BMD camera at 2k is just a better image, no contest. More detail at a quarter the resolution, as counter intuitive as that sounds.

Case in point, with all the hype around RED (for good reason - the Epic's are amazing cameras) they were shut out of the Oscars last year for cinematography and all 4 of the digitally shot nominees were done on ARRI Alexa (2k camera with a 2.8k RAW mode). There are other reasons for this beyond just the image quality (reliability being a key one) but the point is clear: if you have seemingly unlimited budget more pixels still isn't a deciding factor.

As for "complimenting" the I1 footage, you're always going to struggle a bit with that on a higher end camera like a BMD / RED / Sony / ARRI / etc. You're fundamentally matching consumer grade footage from the DJI cameras with professional quality footage and the differences between the two cameras will be up front and obvious. You're going to need to send everything to a finishing suite (Resolve, etc) and work the clips lovingly to have them really sit together in the edit, no question.

If you just want to shoot / edit / deliver your best bet is probably a DSLR as they're going to deliver the closest image to a DJI, quality and characteristic wise. For example, I've done Inspire 1 + Canon DSLR shoots that went together in Final Cut without any trip into finishing / post and I was happy with the overall consistensy between cuts.

One note: if you're looking at a Blackmagic Production 4k camera I'd wait and get the 4k URSA Mini. Same 4k sensor but a better camera overall (XLR audio, better screen, better ergonomics, V-Mount power, upgradeable sensor)  and it's the same price as the BMD Production 4k. I've also seen used BMD 2.5k cameras in the $1200 range and they're going to give amazing images that will put everything shot on your Inspire to shame for relatively little money.

My $0.02. Hope that helps.
2015-10-5
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

SimplePanda Posted at 2015-10-5 09:44
I shoot Blackmagic on the ground. My "personal" cinema camera (specifically, the one I own / purchas ...

I am still trying to decide... Don't get me wrong for what I have done (limited video) my mark iii has been phenomenal and still haven't really used it in RAW as too many bugs to be consistent. I have been eyeing the mini URSA now... I would rather shoot 2k... have no use for 4.6k. Like the fact that it is user upgradable.
Red I can't touch, don't do enough to justify it. The media alone is beyond my scope (lol).
I will (like most of us have done with DJI) wait and wait to see when the uRSA mini actually comes out, B&H says 10/22... but that is already delayed. I would love the Ursa mini in 2k...
2015-10-5
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

2015-10-8
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-8 10:43
Oooooohhhh! What a shameless plug, Dave...

Paul..

Yeah, I have nothing better to do.   I know... sad it is...
2015-10-8
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-8 11:25
Well, you're not really going to be plugging someone else's products on your employer's forum, are ...

It is a DJI product.
2015-10-8
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-8 22:38
I know... That was my point.

Has it been a long day?

Yeah it had been.

I guess your post could be read in 2 different ways.

Dave
2015-10-9
Use props
daniel.frederik
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10656 ft
New Zealand

Dave: I worry, I keep racking up the hours on my bird but when I power down the motors the tips of the props come to rest at exactly the same time. Shouldn't we see some kind of wear or increase in spinning resistance after scores of hours of flight  time?

Why do I worry? It seems to good to be true and posts here about motor or prop failure seem less and less relevant; am I being drawn into a false sense of security?
D.
2015-10-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules