First Compass Issue
1618 3 2015-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

So I FINALLY get a chance to get out after 2 weeks and do a little flying!  So excited, my plan was to setup some waypoints in the GO App so I could make a weekly log of the leaves changing in my favorite flight park.  App booted up as it should, HAD VIDEO SIGNAL (YEAAAAH!!) Did all my routine startup preflight checks, IMU, compass, GPS.  All checked out (although I did see a fluxuation in the gyroscope as I remember it being flat 0.0 in the past, today it was fluxuating but I don't remember the readings).  Took off, hovered for a bit did all my takeoff checks and went up to 33'.  Flipped to F-mode, selected waypoints and put my bird in it's first waypoint.  Flew out and up to the next one, then again, then again till I was done.  I had about 60% battery left so I decided to run the mission.  All went well till it hit its furthest point from me when I noticed it seemed to be going out much further than I recorded.  Looked down and I have the ominous red COMPASS ERROR SWTICH TO GPS (or something).  Of course I flip over to GPS and hit the RTH button.  So trying to not crap my pants I get her back and recheck all the sensors.  Still read A-OK.  Switched batteries and tried it again.  At almost the same spot, furthest out from my HP, I get the same error, however this time the bird is flying the correct path.   As it was coming back I noticed a LOT of rocking of the bird, almost like it was on a boat rocking back and forth (video shows this as well).  Again not taking any chances I flip it back to GPS mode and bring her back safe and sound.  Not willing to roll the dice again I pack up.  

So here's where I need the guidance from the experts.  I'm not one that calibrates the GPS on EVERY flight.  In fact, like Ray, I have only calibrated my sensor twice as they have always read well within the parameters to fly safe.  I probably would have done the compass dance, but there were people coming into the area I was at and already felt skittish about going up again so I didn't do it.  I am attaching the link from HealthyDrones.com on my flight that you can see I had the issue with.  GPS and Compass all show "normal" but Signal shows a lot of red.  NEVER lost video during all this (thank goodness).  So of course now I'm nervous about taking her back up again.  One thing I do remember is hearing my tablet tell me it switched to ATTI mode, but the switch was still in F-mode.  This happened on the first flight when it went WAY out of its waypoint area.  Look at the HealthyDrones Log Here about that. This is the link to my second flight where I had the "signal" issue.  You can also see the difference on the maps as far as my flight path.  I've also checked the K-index and it was between 3 and 4 so I don't think that would cause this.  I will post a video of both flights......just as soon as youtube hurries up.

2015-9-23
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

Ok YouTube video's

First Flight:

Second Flight:
2015-9-23
Use props
tmygun1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm just spit-balling here, but is it at all possible that your close proximity to the truck could have affected the signal.  
In your videos you are standing a lot closer to that vehicle then I would feel comfortable doing.
All vehicles made in the last 10-15 years have constantly running electronics, ECU's, etc, not to mention magnets in various places.
Heck I screwed up and could not even do an initial compass calibration, until I realized I had a small magnetic money clip in my back pocket that was effecting everything.
This might not be the answer but the  signal issue you had on the second flight is really bizarre.

As far as the sudden switching to Altitude mode......if the Phantom does not have enough satellites to effectively keep a GPS lock and you have multiple flight modes enabled it will automatically switch to Atti mode whether or not you are in P or F modes
2015-9-24
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

tmygun1 Posted at 2015-9-24 07:18
I'm just spit-balling here, but is it at all possible that your close proximity to the truck could h ...

I had thought that but I've taken off in approximately the same proximity of my pickup in the past with no issues.  However I will retry today in the middle of the field and do the flight path again.  Thank you!
2015-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules