Charging batteries in the field
2303 8 2015-9-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marsmock
lvl.1

United States

I have an Inspire with six extra batteries.  I have an inverter in my truck that I used to charge Inspire batteries with the Inspire charging cables the other day and the batteries charged in about 30 min as opposed to an hour at home.  My question is does this hurt the batteries?  Are they being overloaded?  Obviously I don't want to slowly ruin them but I am concerned that they are getting too much voltage at one time.  Thank you.
2015-9-25
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Any chance you can post some pictures or provide the specs for the inverter
2015-9-25
Use props
ibdronin
lvl.4

United States

Thats a good questions, because in my F350 I have 110 outlets and was wondering if this would be a problem charging batteries in the truck if traveling on the road?
2015-9-25
Use props
precisionair
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1594 ft
United States

Dronin,

we had the same in our vehicle and it would not provide the appropriate wattage for the charger to function properly.  Voltage and wattage both have to be correct, Id check your output for your Truck 110 and see if it matches or exceeds the charger standard!

Brad
2015-9-25
Use props
rwynant
lvl.1

United States

precisionair Posted at 2015-9-25 12:07
Dronin,

we had the same in our vehicle and it would not provide the appropriate wattage for the ch ...

I have a car battery in back of my TrailBlazer......that and the Cobra 400 watt Inverter.
http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-400- ... erter/dp/B001RNOHBC

This combo works perfectly, and the inverter has 2 grounded 115vac plugs and a USB to charge your laptop/Phone all at the same time......

If you don't like how hot your charger gets at home or in the field, just get an induction fan and plug that in to your inverter cool the charger.( sorry,  it's the power supply, not a charger....the charger is in the battery )

BTW,  it takes just about exactly the same time to charge in the field as at home.

Randy
2015-9-25
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

I have a 2013 F350 platinum with a stock inverter/110 outlets and ive used it multiple times over the last 9 months to charge my batteries without issue using the original stock dji 100w? i think charger, whatever the first one is, not the new 180w one, which i also bought recently, but ive never used it in the truck yet.  It takes the same amount of time as it does in the house.  these are smart batteries and will not accept charge if the voltage is too high anyway, they will disable themselves and not charge at all if overcharge is detected so its unlikely that is your issue.

what type of truck/inverter do you have? Most vehicles dont have overly powerful stock inverters and mine doesnt work at all if the engine isnt running.  If the battery is close to fully charged and you stop charging it either by unplugging or shutting off the truck which kills power output from the inverter they will not resume charging to full 100% power when you plug them back in/restore power ive noticed as ive accidentally shut my truck off before fully charged once or twice.  i have no idea how close they were to full when i accidentally shut it off but i do know that doing so made it think it was full and threw the battery power left counter out of wack a ways which caused me a sudden drop from about 30% to 6% battery issue.  This was months ago on older firmware however and never happened again so i cant say for sure if the results on newer battery firmware would be the same.  If youre using the larger 180w charger or have a vehicle with a weaker stock inverter than what the f350 has it might be charging for 30 minutes and then tripping the automatic safety shut off due to the charger trying to draw more power than the inverter can supply.

some people say if its not a pure sine wave inverter they can cause damage to electronics but im almost certain they are full of shit/overly cautious based on my experiences.   im not 100% for sure but since they are much more expensive than a regular non pure wave inverter i highly doubt that the f350 uses pure sine wave inverters.  I also live in a 2007 keystone cougar 5th wheel RV 6 months out of the year and have charged my batteries in it almost daily during those 6 months without issues.  again i could be wrong but i think all the power to the RV outlets goes through the inverter first and im pretty sure its not a pure sine wave inverter either.  I have 3 batteries with 40+ charges each and no issues using inverters to charge them so far.
2015-9-25
Use props
marsmock
lvl.1

United States

Thank you.  Anyone use one of these yet?:

http://smartpowercharge.com/proddetail.php?prod=SPC4500
2015-9-30
Use props
Waldemar54
lvl.1

New Zealand

sultangris01@gm Posted at 2015-9-26 13:53
I have a 2013 F350 platinum with a stock inverter/110 outlets and ive used it multiple times over th ...

Please note that charging time is determined by the Out-Put (O/P) Wattage/power of the charger.
The 100 W charger will charge the batteries with initial current of about 4 Amps.
The 180 W charger will charge the batteries with initial current of about 7 Amps.
In general charging with low current = low power charger will result in much longer battery life.
Discharging it to say 25% as oppose to 10% will also greatly increase the life of the battery.
The input of all chargers is 100-240VAC so as long your inverter or generator can deliver the required power the charging time will be constant regardless of the power source.
Charging from the 12 V car battery will drain battery at some initial currents of about 10 Amps to power the 100 W charger or 16 Amps to power the 180 W charger.
Charging from the 24 V car battery will drain battery at some initial currents of about 5 Amps to power the 100 W charger or 8 Amps to power the 180 W charger.
Using short and sizable cables will minimize the power loss and running the car for at least the initial 15 min will make sure that you still will be able to start your car; pending your car battery status.
The sine wave is of no importance for that application.
2015-10-5
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

Waldemar54 Posted at 2015-10-5 06:31
Please note that charging time is determined by the Out-Put (O/P) Wattage/power of the charger.
Th ...

yea my inverter is built in factory option and is only powered when the vehicle is running.
2015-10-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules