Source of basic information
998 5 2014-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ncgo4
lvl.2

United States

As a newbie I would like to find some basic information. There are great resources on complicated things about changing cameras, etc, but I've searched and cannot find the most simple basic stuff.  How does the signal get from the controller to the Phantom?  What is the signal, wi-fi, radio, satellite?  Is line of sight required?  What can interrupt this signal?  Can I fly over a castle and film the other side without losing the signal?  Or do I have to run around the building to maintain control?

It seems crazy, but I have not found a descriptions or the very most basic explanations.  I'm sure I'm just overlooking the obvious.  Any help is appreciated.
2014-12-15
Use props
mikegil
lvl.3
Flight distance : 32730 ft
United Kingdom

hi Ncgo4, I am also a newbie, the best resource I have found so far is on DJI site, go on products, click on your model of phantom and then go on downloads, you may have already done this but I found it a great help
mike
2014-12-15
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Your signal works on the Phantom wifi connection.  It is a direct line of sight.  Cell towers, power lines, anything generating a magnetic field can affect the Phantom if you fly close enough to it. If you flew behind the castle, you would lose connection and activate the Return to Home mode.  The default altitude for RTH is 20 meters, but you can change that in calibrations.  You would have to follow the Phantom to the other side of the castle to maintain control.
2014-12-15
Use props
Ncgo4
lvl.2

United States

Well, I guess I am really confused now.  I thought it the controller was an "RC" radio controlled unit and maybe the video feed was wi-fi.  Thus my concern about "Line of sight", depending I suppose, on AM v FM radio.  Now if it's wi-fi controlled I didn't think wi-fi was line of sight effected.  For example wi-fi works throughout my house, even outside the house, seemingly without line of sight requirement.  Now you can see why I am wishing I could find a very dumbed down basic introduction to how it works.  
2014-12-15
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Ncgo4 Posted at 2014-12-15 20:12
Well, I guess I am really confused now.  I thought it the controller was an "RC" radio controlled un ...

Your wifi connection works between your Phantom and your controller.  It does not use satellites for connection and control.  It had a limited range,  by FAA to 700 meters.  Your phone has a longer range than this controller.   The phone uses wifi to the Cell Tower, and the cell tower connects to the sats to transfer your signal.  The controller sends signals directly through the antenna for control to fly the Phantom.  The range extender is used to connect video feed I think.  As far as direct line of sight, if your signal is blocked, your Phantom will go into RTH automatically.
2014-12-15
Use props
junglejim2612
New

United States

You Tube seems to be the best source I've found so far.
2014-12-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules