Tips and things for the newbie
540 1 2015-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
oldpeach
lvl.2

Canada

So you have purchased your new P3 and you’ve got information overload on the do's anddon’ts.. Here are some techno tips and pointers to prevent you from being a"DJI crashed my copter" person. Here are some of the things i leanedfrom hours of forums and tip sites.

1.GPS  - Your air craft comes with a darn good GPS. It can in the best of times put you back within a meter of its home point.. Be aware that even with numerous satellite signal locks the accuracy of your home point can change.High hills, High trees, large building all interfere with the accuracy of GPS.Once you get in the air of course, the interference is less but as you fly low and in amongst the common interferers, your actual position could be off byten's of meters even with multiple signal locks. Ask any geocacher trying to find a treasure in a thick forest , ya cant trust it to put you right on the spot .

2.Flight intelligence - Your aircraft and GO app willkeep a close watch on your battery, distance and height from your location. They give you a visual and audible queue that you need to return to home. But the intelligence can’t accommodate for weather and winds. If you fly your aircraft with a wind in your back at 20 K and fly a kilometer away. Your Failsafe may cut in in time and warn you in time for a calm day, but it cant accommodate for fighting heavy winds. In other words ifit were a calm day the GO app would bring you home , but on an extremely windy day it may  fall short because of the power demands to fight going against the wind are too demanding and LAND because of low power , possibly far short of your mark. Keep in mind that ground level winds may be at 10 KM hour while winds at 100 meters may be double that or higher.

3.Compass - Another biggie.. You will see lots of good advise on this forum..Compass like GPS is influenced by outside factors. There are lots that calibrate when they move to another location , there are lots that calibrate every time they fly.. I myself do it every flight.. why not , its free and does not take more than a minute. But keep it mind as the manuals say.. Metal objects, phones, electronics, microwaves , high voltage transmission lines all make interference.. Just be aware , noting in your pockets, nothing metal within ten feet of you, no wires over head and you’ll have successful calibrations.

4.VPS and Landing and software updates - Here is what i can tell you from my short but pretty good experience so far. When you first get your aircraft, takeit out and before you make those long flights , make a baseline, so you can test and confirm your air craft when you think you have issues. I have a specific place picked out, that is sheltered from the wind , has a smooth textured surface and I make sure it is done approximately  with same battery power and weather conditions. Calibrate before you do this.  Fly your aircraft or autotake off to about 8 feet high so your aircraft hovers. Take note of its accuracy and how it lands and takes off a couple of times, if it strays and how much it does if it does at all. The next time you question your VPS is working ,or a software update has occurred , or you have crashed. Go back to that baseline place and compare how it fly’s.. This will help you determine if you do have some issue on the go.

Again,,just tips and consolidation of my findings.. Wish I had them my self when i started

2015-9-28
Use props
Two Snakes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 241457 ft
United States

Good stuff. I posted my personal trial of calibrating from a metal boat just as you posted this.  Makes a difference.  It also makes me wonder how many crashes are really operator error.
2015-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules