Buying Used: Phantom 2 Vision +....different versions?
2435 8 2014-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CSim408
New

United States

I've been looking at buying the Phantom 2 Vision +.  I've flown other versions and have enjoyed it and it will be useful for my business.  I recently looked locally to see if anyone was selling a used one to try to save some money.  I found a used Phantom 2 Vision + for sale that looks like a decent deal.  He says he purchased it in May of 2014.  A couple questions:

Are there different "Versions" of Phantom 2 Vision +?  I am told by one seller that his is "Version 2".  If this is not the latest version, what features/etc would this one be missing?  What upgrades to this model has DJI made in the last 7 months?

Any recommendations for specific things to check if buying a used unit?  Obviously a test flight is in order.  But let me know what things you would be looking for that a newbie (me!) would not likely think about.

Thoughts about buying a used unit in good condition?

Thanks!
2014-12-15
Use props
CSim408
New

United States

Ok...I've done a bit of digging around on these forums and see the answer to my first question.  Looks like the Phantom 2 Vision + is on Version 3 now.  What I couldn't find is:  What is the main difference between version 2 and version 3?  Can someone point me to a website or list the main differences?  Thanks!

I would still be interested in hearing your thoughts on buying a used Phantom 2 Vision + version 2, and what things you would specifically test to make sure it is functioning properly.  

Thanks!
2014-12-15
Use props
b.w.j
Second Officer

Denmark

Diff. on ver. 02-03 is others csc, motors and a cabled compass on unit and transmitter has turning wheel for gimbal, build in lipo battery leds showing power level in transmitter.
On used I would look for god satlock, especially when using camera - known issue , and stable hovering.
2014-12-15
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

b.w.j@joergense Posted at 2014-12-16 03:21
Diff. on ver. 02-03 is others csc, motors and a cabled compass on unit and transmitter has turning w ...

Other tweaks include better shielding on the GPS and chokes on the wiring (theoretically will decrease risk of flyaways)as well as better cooling/heatsinking on the WIFI unit.

I recall seeing a list of the various upgrades from v 2.0 to 3.0. It was an impressive list of tweaks, but those are the ones I remember most clearly.
2014-12-15
Use props
CSim408
New

United States

b.w.j@joergense Posted at 2014-12-16 03:21
Diff. on ver. 02-03 is others csc, motors and a cabled compass on unit and transmitter has turning w ...

Thanks for the reply.  I'm a newbie to the intricate details of the Phantom (especially the differences between versions), so please bear with me...

What is the "csc" and how big of a difference is the change?

Regarding the upgraded motors: I've heard/read that they are more powerful.  For my purposes, I'm not adding any hardward/load to what I'll be using the drone for, so I'm not sure I actually would benefit from more powerful motors.  Is it possible that the more powerful motors might even decrease the flight time? (or maybe they are also more efficient).  Is there any other benefit to the new motors (other than being able to carry a heavier load)?

Not sure what the "Cabled Compass" is you mention.  I see that there is a new anti-static compass attached to the landing gear in some versions.  I saw a Version 2 advertised on one site and it had this new compass.  Does anyone know what version (1, 2, or 3) did they add this feature?  I can't find it on their site.

I also saw a site that had the gimble wheel on the controller for a unit that was listed as Version 2.  Was this new controller provided with Version 2 phantoms, or just Version 3?

Thanks all for your help!
2014-12-15
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

I would look for god satlock

Cool..that would solve a LOT of problems....   JK  
2014-12-15
Use props
FirstDroneInspi
lvl.1

United States

I too have been looking for a used P2V+. After looking at overpriced units on Craigslist I found used available at BHPhoto. The nice thing is they accept returns for 30 days (Feb 1 during the holidays) so If for some reason the unit has a problem your not stuck fixing or dealing with it! Also, the price was much lower then Craigslist. Just FYI
2014-12-15
Use props
ljhellmich
lvl.4

United States

FirstDroneInspi Posted at 2014-12-16 04:28
I too have been looking for a used P2V+. After looking at overpriced units on Craigslist I found use ...

Thumbs up for B&H Photo and Video.  I've been an on-line electronics customer there for many years, and bought my P2V+ from them a couple of weeks ago.
2014-12-15
Use props
b.w.j
Second Officer

Denmark

CSim408 Posted at 2014-12-16 03:53
Thanks for the reply.  I'm a newbie to the intricate details of the Phantom (especially the differ ...

cabled compass = capsuled compass
2014-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules