ND Filters - How to use...?
2388 19 2015-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
msoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460522 ft
United States

I just received a three set filter from Polar Pro (ND4, ND8,and Polarizer).

In regards to shooting video with the P3P, can someone please tell me whatchanges I need to do on the DJI Go app to properly use these filters?
Do I have to set the camera in manual?
Can I set the camera to auto and adjust the exposure with the wheel as I watch thehistogram?
I normally have been recording video in 1080P and I know the frame rate is 60,so my shutter speed should be at least 120. If I set it to auto, will thefilter change the shutter speed automatically and properly adjust the exposure?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Mike

2015-9-30
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

Why did you get ND filters?
2015-9-30
Use props
adalesandro
lvl.1

United States

It lets you shoot with a slower shutter speed.
2015-9-30
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

adalesandro Posted at 2015-9-30 19:24
It lets you shoot with a slower shutter speed.

I know that. I was asking the OP since they ordered them and do not know how to use them. It seems like everyone jumps on the ND and band wagon, but many don't know what they are for.

And why do you want to shoot at a slower shutter speed? I know the answer to that question too. I also wonder if it is that important to have to shoot at a slower shutter speed all the time?

2015-9-30
Use props
msoto
lvl.3
United States

aopisa Posted at 2015-9-30 19:41
I know that. I was asking the OP since they ordered them and do not know how to use them. It seems  ...

I have used filters on my SDLR and the reason I purchased the filters was because I noticed that the sky did not look natural and the mountains in the background has a blueish haze. If I adjusted the exposure, I would loose shadows or highlights. I have never worked with video so I was asking more on the lines of adjustments with the DJI app.
2015-9-30
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

See reply below.
2015-9-30
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

msoto Posted at 2015-9-30 19:58
I have used filters on my SDLR and the reason I purchased the filters was because I noticed that t ...

They are only used for letting less light in. Not for natural skies or dealing with haze. They only adjust exposure.

Some people want to introduce motion blur to give their videos a "cinematic" look. The only way to do that in bright conditions is to let less light in. The Phantom lens is fixed at 2.8 as you know so you will need to let in less light via the filters. The principle is to choose a shutter speed twice your frame rate. So, if you are shooting at 24 FPS you want a shutter speed of 1/50. You put the camera in manual at 100 ISO and add filters until you get an exposure of 0 EV at 1/50 of a second. You generally have to get up in the air to see if you have the correct filter.

I do not find the absence of motion blur to be objectionable. You can also make adjustments to exposure up or down with the wheel on the remote if need be. So you can shoot on auto as long as your shutter speed does not get too high instead of messing around with filters.

As far as natural sky and haze goes. Getting the proper exposure is most important. Then you can enhance in post with your editing software. The other important factor is white balance. Do you have it set to auto? If so that could be causing your problems.
2015-9-30
Use props
msoto
lvl.3
United States

aopisa Posted at 2015-9-30 20:29
They are only used for letting less light in. Not for natural skies or dealing with haze. They only ...

Thanks for your response. I am not looking for the cinematic look. I just don't want to over expose the sky. I figure if I use the ND filter, I might be able to bring up the shadows without blowing the highlights. I currently have the color set to Log and AWB. I have not tried changing the white balance yet. I am heading to the Caribbean and I'm sure the beaches will be very bright during the day. What do you suggest for capturing footage over blue waters and white sand beach? I thought the Polarizer would be the ideal to use to avoid the water reflections. Your thought?
2015-9-30
Use props
stevegreentechy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 558031 ft
United Kingdom

If you have a sky that is much brighter than the ground you may have to expose the shot for the sky and raise the shadow brightness during post processing.
This is likely to introduce noise though.
You want to avoid having an overexposed sky as the detail is lost forever in the video as it will be blown out and pure white.
2015-10-1
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here is my explanation for how to use an ND filter:
1) Take your phantom without a filter and raise it to a moderate height and hover
2) In your app, turn on the MANUAL exposure control buttons from the right hand video/snapshot menu
3) Place your ISO at 100
4) Place your shutter speed at 2x your frame rate
      4k @ 30fps   = shutter of 60
      1080P @ 60fps = shutter of 120
5) Take a look at the EV rating at the bottom in the same window as your ISO and shutter speed settings...this will tell you approx. how many
    stops you need:
            For example = if your EV says +1.7.........you need a 2-stop filter
                                  if your EV says +2.1........ you need a 2-stop filter
                                  if your EV says +3.2......... you need a 3-stop filter
                                 if your EV says +3.9.......  you need a 4-stop filter
                                 ....etc

Science behind filter number and stops:
The science uses a base of 2 and you multiply the number of stops to get the filter number....i.e.:
            ND2 = 1-stop
            ND4 = 2-stops  [i.e. 2*2 =4]
            ND8 = 3-stops  [i.e. 2*2*2 = 8)
            ND16 = 4 stops  [i.e. 2*2*2*2 = 16]
            ...etc

Also note:  you can use the control knob on the RIGHT hand side of your controller to adjust the exposure to 'darken' the photo.  I only like to use that knob for fine adjustments...the ND filters (that you already have) will work great for you.
2015-10-1
Use props
DaveReidPhoto
lvl.2

Australia

im not weighing in on this but thank god there are a few other people here who understand what an ND filter does.

its nothing more than a darker bit of glass which makes the camera/sensor/lens/shutter behave to allow more light in.

you should expect near, to exactly the same result with a camera of putting a ND4 on and shooting at ISO 400 (same shutter, same fstop) as taking the ND4 off, and shooting at ISO100.  i dont care if you get your stops through ISO, Apeture or shutter.  doesnt matter.

typically the other effects do come from a slower shutter (eg to compensate for the apparent lack of light) and then more likely the editing and post / LUTS / color grading that people do.  Typically people who know what they are doing, use ND's for particular reasons.  they are also typically the people who edit/post well and use more than just raw footage.

rant over.
2015-10-1
Use props
msoto
lvl.3
United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2015-10-1 09:29
Here is my explanation for how to use an ND filter:
1) Take your phantom without a filter and raise  ...

Thanks, I appreciate your help.
2015-10-1
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

msoto Posted at 2015-9-30 21:24
Thanks for your response. I am not looking for the cinematic look. I just don't want to over expos ...

As was stated already, adding a filter is the same as changing the exposure wheel (shutter speed). It will not help with the sky! You can under expose a little to make sure your sky is not totally blown out. Time of day is most important. Early morning and late afternoon are the best. You are less likely to be overexposed and colors are warmer and more saturated.

DO NOT use auto white balance. As you move the camera the white balance can shift. The camera will try to catch up with the changes and you will see it adjusting the white balance in the video. Also the white balance may be change  and be different for different scenes which will make you video look strange. Set a white balance and leave it. It is probably safe to keep it between 5,000-5400K.

Also, a polarizer is a waste of time and money for a moving video platform. They only really have the greatest effect when 90 degrees to the sun. As you move the sky will get lighter or darker depending on the camera orientation to the sun. That will just look bad. Unless you are going to fly in a straight line perpendicular to the sun and who is going to do that?
2015-10-1
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

I have written some info in my ebook and on my website www.PhantomFilters.com and www.phantomfilters.com/ebook
2015-10-1
Use props
msoto
lvl.3
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-10-1 18:44
I have written some info in my ebook and on my website www.PhantomFilters.com and www.phantomfilters ...

Thank you so much.
2015-10-1
Use props
msoto
lvl.3
United States

aopisa Posted at 2015-10-1 17:37
As was stated already, adding a filter is the same as changing the exposure wheel (shutter speed).  ...

Thank you for your help. I will play with your suggestions. I'm traveling to the Caribbean and I want to make sure I don't screw up my videos. I keep a close eye on the histogram and adjust as necessary. The white sand beaches and blue waters will be a challenge but I will do my best.
2015-10-1
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

Have a good trip. I am sure you will do well.
2015-10-1
Use props
adalesandro
lvl.1

United States

aopisa Posted at 2015-9-30 16:41
I know that. I was asking the OP since they ordered them and do not know how to use them. It seems  ...

I prefer to shoot at slower shutter speeds with video only as I am a filmmaker and I prefer to shoot at as close to 1/48th of a second to match my non-phantom footage.
2015-10-11
Use props
Jogle
New

United States

This guy posts over in Phantom Pilots forums.  He's made, in my opinion, some great videos on this subject.  Here's one that should be helpful:

He's also got some great color grading tutorials for the cinematic effect many are looking for
2015-10-19
Use props
msoto
lvl.3
United States

Jogle Posted at 2015-10-20 09:15
This guy posts over in Phantom Pilots forums.  He's made, in my opinion, some great videos on this s ...

Thanks for the link to the video.
2015-10-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules