Why does my Phantom like falling?
704 2 2015-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Glitch
lvl.2
United States

Ok, I'm at a loss, literally.

Crash #3 took my GoPro from me. My fault, it was seemingly vicious enough to tear up my three doubled up rubber bands holing it to my H3-3D, because I found it far more convenient than the hard plasitc bracket...

The real problem - My Phantom has a random tendency for extreme rapid descent, however remaining stable, yet with ~ neg 300% throttle behaviour despite a 0 to 100% positive throttle input.

Previously mentioned here in this thread questioning VRS.
(video link included in previous thread initial post)

Behaviour was identical except being higher, and over aspens, and a bit further away. Normal flight is suddenly interrupted by rapid unitiated descent, however horizontal stability remains yet with minimal planar control.

Battery was solid ~97% during this event as indicated by direct video feed from Mini iOSD. Event occured ~2min into flight.

The weekend prior, my Phantom had the exact same unresposive negative throttle crash event, however this was during my 30sec pre-flight check when about 7ft up it self initiated a descent rate far too excessive for a safe hand catch despite being right in front of me.

All three crashes occured after unique lengths of time, and between events 2 & 3 I had an entirely normal flight in hopes of determining possible causes or other chacteristics which would help troubleshooting the issue.

Calibrations, compass and IMU are current.
Firmware is current.
I'm an experienced pilot and know I did not accidentally reverse throttle. (nor is negative throttle capable of descent at such speed)
Topography and weather was inconsequential during each event.

After my last crash event it snapped my H3-3D top mount plate, bent lower mount plate lobe, snapped three doubled rubber bands holding my GoPro, snapped off two props, and on another test flight just now in my front yard, 4min in it again began a level rapid fall into the grass and after re-launch had an uneventful 10min continuous flight.

Until something is sorted, I can't trust it for anything more than flying low and slow over very soft surfaces.
Help!!

2015-9-30
Use props
roy
lvl.4

United States

Any videos of the crash. Is it comming streight down like a decent or is it turning to the side and crashing?
2015-10-1
Use props
Glitch
lvl.2
United States

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2015-10-1 08:20
Any videos of the crash. Is it comming streight down like a decent or is it turning to the side and  ...

Sadly no as my GoPro couldn't be found after the crash (even after searching 5 hrs the next day with a metal detector around the crash site). From what I remember it was mostly coming strait down (and level) with a slight lateral trajectory which was intentional as I was trying to keep it from impacting so far away.
2015-10-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules