3093 19 2015-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChadAustin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 139731 ft
  • >>>
United States

So, near where I live, there is an old dam: about 90 years old. It's very scenic and has been the subject matter of several Inspire videos of mine.

I flew there again a few days ago, spoke to some of folks who work there (the power plant is owned by Duke Energy) and they informed me the flood gates would be open later that afternoon.

I gave them my card and thanked them, then returned in the afternoon and got the following shot: oxford-dam-water-flow-002.jpg

The next day I get a call from Duke Energy who (politely) asked me not to fly around there again. The guy was nice and even complimented me on my videos. But I asked him if I could fly again in a few days, after the huricane passed, so I could video the turbulent waters. He said he'd speak to his folks and let me know.

The next day (today) I get a call from the local sheriff, who started telling me about drone rules and that the dam was off limits... that I had to be outside of 500 feet range from the dam (which is ok because that is where I wanted to fly anyway for the turbulant water shot).

The dam is NOT part of the restricted airspace, but I can't find anything about this on the FAA "Notices to Airmen." pub for this month: https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/ ... a/10-15-15-NTAP.pdf

The sheriff said they will be on the lookout for me and that Duke Energy is willing to take charges out on me if I fly out there again.

Can you say @ssholes? Why aren't they busy arresting the idiots who fly near airports, spy on folks, or fly too high to unsafe levels and leave the artistic folks alone.
2015-10-2
Use props
jones5r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

I know it sucks. They're grouping us all together. Nice pic though.
2015-10-2
Use props
jones5r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

Growing up in the 80's, I thought for sure we were going to have flying cars by 2010. Boy was I wrong, we can't even get passed flying cameras.
2015-10-2
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

You can thank 9-11 for that.  Really too bad!  Oh, nice shot!
2015-10-2
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Chad
It sounds like you did everything right and you are penalized for it. Drones are getting a lot of bad press from those folks that are not considerate of others and the common sense rules.  Sorry for your bad luck and hopefully you will find another subject.

I know for a fact that Duke Energy has used some drones for the Solar Farms in NC....  I was part of the start up..  

Rich
2015-10-2
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

Sorry if i missed something but based on what law are you not allowed to?
I know in NV you can fly anywhere as long as you are at 250 feet... (privacy issues as of yesterday) so what law are you breaking? When the sheriff said they would be looking I am curious based on what grounds? As far as I know public domain is public domain! Don;t let yourself be bullied either. I know we are all supposed to be courteous and respectful but we live in a free country where we do all have rights as well.
I would call the So and ask what laws you are breaking, how far you have to be and what charges they are willing to press... just out of curiosty if nothing else. And if your state doesn't have a bill passed what are they basing this on???
Just my two cents
2015-10-2
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

nofearmx@gmail. Posted at 2015-10-3 08:12
Sorry if i missed something but based on what law are you not allowed to?
I know in NV you can fly  ...

probably basing it on a sheriff on a power trip ;)
2015-10-3
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

Its called color of law,  They make this crap up as they go along. Have a lawyer contact the idiots.
2015-10-3
Use props
ChadAustin
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Thanks everybody for weighing in. The sheriff actually is supposed to send me 'the latest regulations' on Monday.

I was thinking of flying out there outside of the 500 ft range AND off their property and see if I get arrested. LOL
2015-10-3
Use props
ChadAustin
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Oh, Duke Energy had applied for drone use (and got the exemption) on August 18, 2015.

I filed on August 28th but haven't heard anything back yet.
2015-10-3
Use props
RickRoberts01
lvl.4
Flight distance : 191575 ft
United States

Not sure if this is a U S Army Corps of engineers project, but the Corps of Engineers prohibits flying over all dams. Regulation 36 C.F.R. § 327.4

"§ 327.4 Aircraft.
(a) This section pertains to all aircraft including, but not limited to, airplanes, seaplanes, helicopters, ultra-light aircraft, motorized hang gliders, hot air balloons, any non-powered flight devices or any other such equipment.
(b) The operation of aircraft on project lands at locations other than those designated by the District Commander is prohibited. This provision shall not be applicable to aircraft engaged on official business of Federal, state or local governments or law enforcement agencies, aircraft used in emergency rescue in accordance with the directions of the District Commander or aircraft forced to land due to circumstances beyond the control of the operator.
(c) No person shall operate any aircraft while on or above project waters or project lands in a careless, negligent or reckless manner so as to endanger any person, property or environmental feature.
2015-10-3
Use props
ibdronin
lvl.4

United States

Did the Sheriff phone you or one of his deputies?
2015-10-3
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

And what you learned? Stay anonymous fly and dont ask and try not to expose your car.
2015-10-3
Use props
ChadAustin
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

ibdronin Posted at 2015-10-3 10:02
Did the Sheriff phone you or one of his deputies?

I think one of his deputies. I'm not really sure. I was so astounded at how it went from a nice conversation with Duke Energy that I had trouble adjusting my senses.
2015-10-3
Use props
ChadAustin
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Machoman Posted at 2015-10-3 12:36
And what you learned? Stay anonymous fly and dont ask and try not to expose your car.

You are so correct. I will try to do better with my future flights.
2015-10-3
Use props
Woffski
lvl.2
United States

Where is this Chad???
2015-10-3
Use props
ChadAustin
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Woffski Posted at 2015-10-3 21:12
Where is this Chad???

Hwy 16, leaving Hickory going into Talyorsville, Oxford dam.
2015-10-3
Use props
alan
lvl.2

United States

Tell them politely you want to conform to all rules. Ask them to give you a list in writing of where you are not allowed to fly your copter in your county. Then check out if they are blowing smoke or not. I have been stopped many times in the DC area while shooting photos on the ground by "officials" (police, federal agents, CIA, etc.) who told me I couldn't shoot various buildings or areas because of security. As if I could know what is going on inside of a typical office building. It was all B.S. Just about every office building in this region could have some kind of "security" excuse.

In one case I was shooting outside restaurants in Rosslyn, VA to show the regional lifestyle for condominium sales. In another case I was shooting a tiny town called Upper Marlboro, MD. A policeman was parked in front of the old courthouse there and stopped me to ask why I was shooting on the street.  I don't know why he was "guarding" the courthouse since it had burned down the week before. (Blowtorch accident from careless construction worker.)

Once I photographed a firehouse in Norhtern Virgina as a favor for one of my clients whose boyfriend worked there. She wanted to suprise him with a photo of the firehouse. I got a call from the local poice asking what I was up to.
2015-10-3
Use props
ChadAustin
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

RickRoberts01 Posted at 2015-10-3 09:59
Not sure if this is a U S Army Corps of engineers project, but the Corps of Engineers prohibits flyi ...

Thanks for this information. I really didn't know. I've been trying to be so careful. GD witch hunt.
2015-10-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome capture!
2022-2-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now