3270 48 2015-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 912661 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lying in bed, thinking about what I can do with my P3S when it comes back away for repairs at the mo). Keep thinking about the possibilities of drones in the future. I literally spend a few hours every day watching videos on YouTube and reading articles about drones / UAV's. I don't just see it as a hobby I see it as much more.

Which brings me to a point... I'm a photographer, with a lot of gear. I keep thinking about selling it all and sinking my money into drones. Maybe buy an Inspire 1 with the Zenmuse camera. Get my UAV license. Maybe even start building my own drones.

Combining my knowledge of photography with drones... i think that'd be a great idea. Maybe even as a career. Maybe work for a drone company... there is actually one not so far from me...

Its like, my whole life has led to this point... as a kid playing with lego, being brought up around computers and flight (my dad was an aircraft technician), iv spent years in IT education, i always think about flight, travel (not just earth), and i have a crazy imagination. And then there's the whole photography subject!

It really does get me thinking....

Anyway, enough blabbering lol. Gnite folks.
2015-10-2
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Hmmm, maybe that's what I need more of -- thinking.  I sometimes look at the 5 different Phantoms I have and wonder if I just have poor impulse control...
2015-10-2
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gil Posted at 2015-10-3 03:24
Hmmm, maybe that's what I need more of -- thinking.  I sometimes look at the 5 different Phantoms I  ...

Haha! Yea, i think you have :p
2015-10-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Drones. . .  There is getting to be, so much to sift through.

www.thedronenews.com

Read all about it, them, us, @ more. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-10-2
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-10-3 04:55
Drones. . .  There is getting to be, so much to sift through.

www.thedronenews.com

I shall take a look. Thanks
2015-10-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

There is an ever growing mound of drone clippings available to scrutinize and read. Some is news, old and up to the latest.
I could never read every entry, but it's been fun scrolling down, through the near history of the drone.
The farther down that main page, the further back in drone time, you travel.
@DJI certainly, have captured much of the fanfare. With a larger share of the pie.

RedHotPoker
2015-10-3
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wel, as being in the same situation I can say this. Keep your Photo gear and glass. Enjoy the DJI product. I know how you feel. I have been there and the Aerial Photography is a whole new adventure. go easy and enjoy.
2015-10-3
Use props
Phuglie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

What a fascinating look into the drone-flyer's head... I don't dream of drone flying. Am I missing something in my life?

As a young girl I would dream of falling off a tall building, cliff, ledge, etc and then I would start to fly with the odd air pocket and associated negative G pit in my stomach. The dreams were both scary and exhilarating at the same time. I don't dream like that anymore, but watching back some of my P3p videos I can almost 'sense' the dreams I used to have... that excited knot in my stomach... the rise and fall of an elevated perspective...

Thanks for your comment. It seems to be awakening something buried deep down inside my inner child
2015-10-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Yeah, me too, but I did not fall off anything, I just started to fly from ground level. Trouble was, I could never get sufficient altitude. Thinking diet......
2015-10-3
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Phuglie Posted at 2015-10-3 23:59
What a fascinating look into the drone-flyer's head... I don't dream of drone flying. Am I missing s ...

Thanks for that insight, Phuglie,
I wasn't going to say this before as it sounds a little odd, as im sure you'll agree lol...

As a child i used to imagine everything as a spaceship, or some sort of craft, and play with those objects as i imagined them to be... (yay for a great childhood!). Suppose thinking of it now, it was my getaway, my sole area of bliss. No one could ever destroy it, tamper with it, as no one knew it existed.

Why add this? Well drones remind me of that safe place, but now i can explore for real. I can go places where only my imagination could go. See things from a new perspective, and do the one thing i truly enjoy, learn about new things.

Some may see it as sad, or ridicule me for it, but i had plenty of reasons to goto that escape.

I like your idea too, its good to know that i wasnt alone with such a powerful, creative, imagination.

And there was me earlier on contemplating on removing my 'deep' post... haha!

\\//,
2015-10-3
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2015-10-4 00:37
Yeah, me too, but I did not fall off anything, I just started to fly from ground level. Trouble was, ...

That made me chuckle! Lol
2015-10-3
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rodger Posted at 2015-10-3 21:40
Wel, as being in the same situation I can say this. Keep your Photo gear and glass. Enjoy the DJI pr ...

Thanks Rodger. As im sure you're aware, selling my cameras, glass and zillions of additional items would be a huge step. Something which would require a lot more thought. Thank you for your input, it does help
2015-10-3
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-10-3 21:27
There is an ever growing mound of drone clippings available to scrutinize and read. Some is news, ol ...

Wjen i bought my first drone i began to read up on the Wright Brothers. I was / still am, so fascinated with flight. Drones have definitely opened up an exciting chapter in my life, as im sure they do with others. Suppose we should say thank you to DJI for that.

I wonder what other chapters will arrise from this adventure...
2015-10-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Dragonfyr Posted at 2015-10-4 13:12
Thanks Rodger. As im sure you're aware, selling my cameras, glass and zillions of additional items ...

Nice thoughts... I went the other way, having a totally different interest that was also my job, however that was only the last ten years, most my career prior to that was spent in film/television. So I sold up everything and began to acquire cameras and film gear again. Along the way I learned to fly in real aircraft, had to, my arms were getting tired.
2015-10-3
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dragonfyr Posted at 2015-10-3 22:12
Thanks Rodger. As im sure you're aware, selling my cameras, glass and zillions of additional items ...

Hey Dragon, I think you will find that it is very hard to part with the Cameras and Glass. When you pick them up you will remember how long you waited to buy them. I still have all of my Nikons and Hasselblad's. I still pick up the Blad's and sit and hold it while exercising the shutters, etc. I still have the first one that I bought 45 years ago.
2015-10-4
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dragonfyr Posted at 2015-10-3 22:16
Wjen i bought my first drone i began to read up on the Wright Brothers. I was / still am, so fasci ...

I am hooked on it too Dragon. It is a new Chapter in our Photography. I am glad that I went with DJI. They are so easy to fly, even I can do it. It is a new adventure. It really gets me that when you tell people that you fly Drone's they look at you like you are a pervert. I like 99% of us would never invade someone's privacy. I could care less. I want to explore and get up there and see what is around me. It is a whole new perspective on your surroundings.
2015-10-4
Use props
vasek
lvl.2

Czechia

Have the P3A for 10 days and got similar thoughts. One thing to consider is the fact as photographer you have moreless no limits what you want to focus in. The conditions for aerial photo and law are different in various countries and sometimes you cannot take the picture or video you want without possible law violation. So I will now have to carry two big bags instead of one .
Good light and safe landing to everyone.
2015-10-4
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Phuglie Posted at 2015-10-3 18:59
What a fascinating look into the drone-flyer's head... I don't dream of drone flying. Am I missing s ...

I used to be able to fly in my dreams. Well, actually it was more like swimming through the air. However....

The big downside of my "flying" episodes? I would sometimes throw myself out of bed. Hurt myself a couple of times. Fortunately, it was not serious. Doc said it was a REM sleep disorder - tend to act out a lot of my dreams, although there's no somnambulism (sleep-walking). Now take a prescription for it.

No one has yet to mistake me for a quadcopter while I was flying. LOL

Art Burke - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-10-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-10-5 07:32
I used to be able to fly in my dreams. Well, actually it was more like swimming through the air. H ...

Sounds like you have not calibrated your dream compass properly. You should not fall out of bed, that's a compass error.

!. Lie in bed, rotate slowly to the right.....
2015-10-4
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2015-10-4 03:36
Nice thoughts... I went the other way, having a totally different interest that was also my job, h ...

Lol. Glad ypu stuck with it
2015-10-4
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rodger Posted at 2015-10-4 12:51
Hey Dragon, I think you will find that it is very hard to part with the Cameras and Glass. When yo ...

Hi Rodger,
Yea, i still have my first camera from when i was aboit 15. God only knows how i still have it lol.

As for my other gear, i literally just spent 3.5k (GBP) on upgrading all my gear about 4months ago. Yea, i love it to bits. Iv spent more time cleaning the lenses that using the camera lol (Canon 7D Mk2). But when it comes to photography, my heart lyes with scenery. Which a lot of which can be done with the Phantom.

It's definitely a hard decision to make, and im sure il be debating over it for several months yet! Lol

Thanks,
Dragon.
2015-10-4
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

vasek Posted at 2015-10-4 21:06
Have the P3A for 10 days and got similar thoughts. One thing to consider is the fact as photographer ...

Hi Vasek,

I agree. The UK laws concerning the flight of UAVs is very strict. Even if i wanted to do it on a commercial basis id have to get a license and then possibly a 'permission'. (License = £1650). Roughly. Which sucks! Even as a solo flyer the rules are harsh
2015-10-4
Use props
ksunsingh
lvl.2

United States

Drones and video/photos are really the basis right now ... The inspire is awesome especially the ability of the dial controller so pilot pilots and camera man man's the camera
2015-10-4
Use props
vasek
lvl.2

Czechia

Dragonfyr Posted at 2015-10-5 04:11
Hi Vasek,

I agree. The UK laws concerning the flight of UAVs is very strict. Even if i wanted to ...

Hi Dragonfyr,
The rules here (CZ) are for proffesionals rough too. The only "advantage" I found sofar is the ceiling of 300m (1000ft) except urban areas and airport safety zones. Apart of the profi license costs there is high insurance fee too. I intend to go to Spain Fuerteventura for fishing and have to check the spanish rules in advance. Btw I have 7D Mark Ii too
2015-10-4
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Great idea with good piece of DJI equipment you can earn more then just with DSLR. Building a drones yourself..... for fun- yes, for photography- waste of time and money. For video and photo shooting dji products producing so much more control of your camera settings through the app, that is not really possible for usual diy copter.  But i know that is so much fun building drones yourself... if i were you i'd build 250 FPV drone, which is so fun to build and fly and keep using dji equipment for professional shooting.
2015-10-4
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dragonfyr Posted at 2015-10-4 22:07
Hi Rodger,
Yea, i still have my first camera from when i was aboit 15. God only knows how i still  ...

Dragon, hang on to the gear if you can. You do know that as soon as you get rid of it you will want it back and spend the money to replace it only at premium price again.

You can do both, that is use your gear and the Phantom. Are you using a PC or a Mac?
2015-10-5
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dragonfyr Posted at 2015-10-4 22:11
Hi Vasek,

I agree. The UK laws concerning the flight of UAVs is very strict. Even if i wanted to ...

Everything is tough over there in the UK. I enjoy competitive shooting also amongst other things. The UK is big on Air Guns as that is about all you can have. I read about it in Magazines and there are a lot of Shows in regard to it on Youtube. You even need permission from the local Police Chief to buy a tin of Pellets. I can imagine what you are going through flying your Phantom.
2015-10-5
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ksunsingh Posted at 2015-10-5 03:20
Drones and video/photos are really the basis right now ... The inspire is awesome especially the abi ...

Indeed, Ksunsingh. The fact that two people can use 1 UAV at the same time is amazing within itself. Let alone the amount of possibilities that the Inspire 1 has! As well with the Zenmuse X5 Camera!
2015-10-5
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

vasek Posted at 2015-10-5 03:48
Hi Dragonfyr,
The rules here (CZ) are for proffesionals rough too. The only "advantage" I found so ...

Firstly, good choice on camera! I must admit, i do love mine

Yea, the rules are fair to be honest, looking at the bigger picture. All it would take is for one idiot to fly his drone into a commercial airliner! Then we'd have some serious law's being introduced! Let's just keep spreading the word about the rules and hope people abide by them
2015-10-5
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-10-5 04:42
Great idea with good piece of DJI equipment you can earn more then just with DSLR. Building a drones ...

HI DJI-Tim,

Unless you're willing to be a wedding photographer, there isn't much money in photography around where i live. I have prints up in a local cafe and a community center. So far iv sold 3 prints, in the space of about 18 months. Comparing that to how much iv spent on photography.... yea... lol

I agree with what you say about drones and photography and yes, i will be sticking to DJI for that Also, the ability to shoot RAW with the Phantom 3 Standard.... GREAT move!

As for the 250 FPV, yea, i think i will build myself something little to play around with, with the whole FPV side of things. Think that'd be a great load of fun
2015-10-5
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rodger Posted at 2015-10-5 12:45
Dragon, hang on to the gear if you can. You do know that as soon as you get rid of it you will wan ...

Hi Rodger,

Yea, i will miss it, i miss my gear now thinking about doing that! haha!

And i use my own custom built pc. Took me 1 year to build this beast! Why do you ask?
2015-10-5
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rodger Posted at 2015-10-5 12:45
Dragon, hang on to the gear if you can. You do know that as soon as you get rid of it you will wan ...

Oh, Hi again Rodger, I've just replied to you lol...

That's the first iv heard of the UK being big into air guns. I literally don't know anyone who's into that. I used to know someone who had a gas piston firing BB Gun. That was a good laugh, specially shooting the crap out of his car! (It was going to be destroyed anyway) lol

The thing i don't get about the CAA is that yea, if you build a house on some land you bought, it's yours. If you buy a boat, it's yours. But who owns the sky? The air that we breath? I don't get how some company can just come along and say "We own this sky, you will follow our rules and pay thousands of pounds for that privilege!) haha!! Pathetic to be honest... but... i still abide by their rules.
2015-10-5
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dragonfyr Posted at 2015-10-5 18:00

That's the first iv heard of the UK being big ...

In the States they charge you Sales Tax on Air!! Be careful they may start charging you for Air across the Pond!
I realize that this is not a Forum for Air Gun enthusiasts but it is a huge thing in your neck of the woods. Mainly for Pest Control on Farms. Now, if you could set a Phantom up with an Air Gun you could rule the Air and make a fortune selling them to Farmers.

The more that I think about it I think a Phantom may be a great hand in Agriculture and in identifying areas that the Pests populate.
2015-10-6
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Dragonfyr Posted at 2015-10-5 18:00

That's the first iv heard of the UK being big ...

It's unfortunate, but the alternative is either anarchy or chaos. If there was not a single (government "sponsored") organization, can you imagine dividing up the airspace into zillions of sections, owned by hundreds or thousands of different organizations?

In the U.S. (can't vouch anything for other countries), the FAA sets the rules for controlled airspace and essentially enforces them as well. Imagine if the airspace were owned by every municipality and/or county. It would be at least as bad as our tax rules - or worse! Is that possible?

Art Burke - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-10-6
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dragonfyr Posted at 2015-10-5 17:57
Hi Rodger,

Yea, i will miss it, i miss my gear now thinking about doing that! haha!

Hang on to it, you know that you want to
PC! No MAC? Once you go MAC you never go back!
2015-10-6
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rodger Posted at 2015-10-6 13:52
In the States they charge you Sales Tax on Air!! Be careful they may start charging you for Air ac ...

Strange lol. I live in an area surrounded by farms, fields, farmers etc, and again, i don't know anyone who is into airguns lol. Not sure which magazine you've read, but it's a little bit off haha

Also, Mac's.... hahahahaha! No lol. Iv got a friend who swears by them, we're always playing around with each others tastes for tech. I don't like mac's, he doesn't like PC's. It's fun though

Here is my PC's spec... (Oh, and unlike Mac's, it's fully upgradable) ;)
-- Screen1 - Asus VG248 Digital LCD, 3D Enabled.
-- Screen2 - Dell 17" Wide Screen LCD.
-- Screen3 - Dell 17" Wide Screen LCD.
-- GFX - AMD XFX Radeon R9 290 DD Black Edition 4096MB GDDR5.
-- MOBO - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z AMD 990FX (Socket AM3+) DDR3.
-- CPU - AMD Piledriver FX-8 Eight Core 8350 Black Edition 4.00GHz (Socket AM3+).
-- RAM - TeamGroup Vulcan RED 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-17100C11 2133MHz Dual Channel Kit
-- CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D14 Dual Radiator x6
-- PSU - 860W Corsair AX860 Full Modular.
-- CASE - CM Storm Trooper Full Tower Gaming Windowed Case - Black
-- HDD1 - Crucial 240GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5".
-- HDD2 - WD 3 TB 3.5-inch Internal Hard Drive - Black Edition.
-- HDD3 - External 1TB Western Digital Drive.
-- OS - Windows 7 Pro 64bit Retail.
-- DRIVE - LiteOn IHAS122-14 22x DVD±R, 8x DVD Drive.
-- MOUSE - Razer Mamba.
-- HS - Sound Blaster Tactic3D Rage.
-- SOUND SYSTEM - Pioneer 220w Amp.
---- Warfdale Custom painted yellow speakers.
-- NET - Fiber Optic - 73mbps down. 19mbps up. 20ms avg.
. 12088361_10154243552842598_17297186827680875_n.jpg
. 12074947_10154243555557598_3544775172707179606_n.jpg
12143182_10154243555917598_5233034657705149168_n.jpg
12079281_10154243556127598_4826966026714867047_n.jpg

2015-10-6
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-10-6 13:54
It's unfortunate, but the alternative is either anarchy or chaos. If there was not a single (gover ...

Imagine a world where the air space was just free...

As for the aircraft issue, it's simple...Airports have an exclusion areas, like 5 miles around them. Aeroplanes fly over a certain altitude. Helicopters at another altitude, say they're both over 5,000 ft, drones can fly under that.

Problem solved. No greed, money or other regulations to worry about...
2015-10-6
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dragonfyr Posted at 2015-10-6 12:22
Strange lol. I live in an area surrounded by farms, fields, farmers etc, and again, i don't know an ...

Interesting and looks like a bit of work. The Magazine is Air Gun World. Better yet go to Youtube and  enter the Airgun Show. They have all of the episodes. they come out every two weeks and are about 20 minutes long.
2015-10-7
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rodger Posted at 2015-10-7 19:38
Interesting and looks like a bit of work. The Magazine is Air Gun World. Better yet go to Youtube  ...

Indeed it was. Took 1 year of planning and buying all the parts. And about 15 years of wanting a wicked pc! (Had been using a single core 2ghz AMD for about 6 years) :/

N yea, il take a look. Thanks
2015-10-7
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

I build my own PCs as well.

I also dreamed about flying.

And... I built my own 250 FPV. 4 month in the winter, from zero... part by part. I know a ton about parts and how they work.

In May I got the P3P.

The 250 probably made a voodoo doll of the Phantom, because since then I never touched it again. It is just not worth the time unless you buy expensive equipment that work together. When you build your own, lost of possible issues with interference, parts that don't talk to each other, don't fit and so on.

You want FPV? Sure, get a Phantom 3, HDMI out, goggles and bang!

Or, buy a rtf 250 with video and everything. Also buy 2 dozen pairs of props because they go like water.

Oh... have you tried FPV? Takes some get use to. Once you turn the bird, your brain will try to fight gravity and you might move uselessly to counter act it. Tends to look silly in the beginning.

You like pictures? Start with a Phantom 3 until it becomes your bottleneck. Then move up.

My to Cents.

Cheers.
2015-10-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules