The worst happened :(
3082 25 2015-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
anjosva
lvl.2

Portugal

Hi Folks,

I believe you already got the point here just reading the subject. My P3A just crashed in the water but I can't understand what happened...

I've checked if the props were really fixed, just as I do everytime before to put my P3A in the air, the GPS sinal was okay and the weather conditions were also OK. Turns out that after I launched it I just went around 500m and suddenly I got the message weak transmission and it just fell in spiral into the water.

Here are the links with the videos that will make you able to judge what can gone wrong..

https://onedrive.live.com/redir? ... ;ithint=video%2cmp4

https://onedrive.live.com/redir? ... ;ithint=video%2cmp4

I think it was a device fault in this case...Anyway I really would like to get your feedback just to get some expert opinion.

Thank you!

Regards!
2015-10-2
Use props
tmygun1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is really bizarre.
The way it started spinning indicates that it was either a bird strike that broke a propeller, a propeller failed or came off,  or there was a catastrophic failure of a motor.

Were you able to recover the P3.......seeing the terrain in the video I doubt it, but just thought I would ask?
Any other issues before this flight?
2015-10-2
Use props
tmygun1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

Forgot to add........
What a bummer......my stomach just sank watching the video!
2015-10-2
Use props
Dragonfyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 912661 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Literally a milisecond before it starts spinning, the camera shoots to the left, like there was some major hardware issue. It doesnt look like a bird strike, or a prop breaking, somethimg caused it to move the camera so suddenly like that. Either way I can't see that you've done anything wrong. If it's under warranty, I'd suggest getting DJI to look at the video and see what they think. Good luck.
2015-10-2
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Ouch, that was ugly to watch and I imagine even more painful to witness firsthand.  All I can suggest is you upload the flight record from your tablet/phone to www.HealthyDrones.com and you'll be able to get some more detailed information about the flight.  Might have enough to prove equipment fault.

2015-10-2
Use props
Mad_Angler1
First Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looking at the time it took to come down i think you lost a prop, it either spun off or a birdstrike IMO.

How many flights had to props had ?
2015-10-3
Use props
anjosva
lvl.2

Portugal

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2015-10-3 16:44
Looking at the time it took to come down i think you lost a prop, it either spun off or a birdstrike ...

Hi,

The issue wasn't related with the props. That was the only reason besided hw fault that I was in my mind even that I wasn't able to see any props flying in the video. Anyway I was able to recover the drone this morning from the water and the props were attached. Actually I don't have any scratch in the drone itself. I'm now sure this was something related with hardware fault.

Here is the pic url

https://onedrive.live.com/redir? ... ;ithint=photo%2cjpg

Thank you!

2015-10-3
Use props
anjosva
lvl.2

Portugal

gil Posted at 2015-10-3 14:12
Ouch, that was ugly to watch and I imagine even more painful to witness firsthand.  All I can sugges ...

Hi gil,

Thanks!! I'm gonna check the log files with that website.

Thank you!
2015-10-3
Use props
anjosva
lvl.2

Portugal

Hi Folks,

Anyway knows how can I address this issue to DJI support? I never had this experience before (fortunately).

Is there anyone with the same experience that can share the feedback of DJI support? I hope they can take the responsbility... I never thought this could happened in this way..

Thank you!!
2015-10-3
Use props
Mad_Angler1
First Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Dave/Tim hopefully will spot this and pitch in,  hopefully they can get it back and check the internal logs, as its been in the water dont try to fire it up, the logs are on an internal SD card, as its complete dont touch it just let them have it as it is then go from there

2015-10-3
Use props
anjosva
lvl.2

Portugal

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2015-10-4 02:06
DJI Dave/Tim hopefully will spot this and pitch in,  hopefully they can get it back and check the in ...

Hi Mad_Angler1,

Thanks for the tip. Yes I will wait for some DJI input to proceed.

Thank you.
2015-10-3
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

anjosva Posted at 2015-10-3 12:11
Hi Folks,

Anyway knows how can I address this issue to DJI support? I never had this experience bef ...

My heart goes out to you. I had a very similar incident about 5 weeks ago. On the 207th flight, flying at 400 feet high, in a straight line.... it suddently and violently spun out of the sky and slammed into the ground. They've "fixed" mine and it's on it's way back. No charge as it's under warranty and obviously they felt it wasn't pilot error.

What not to do:
• Do not email DJI support. Most folks don't hear back from an email for a couple weeks if at all.• The DJI folks on this forum are great but have no actual authority in regards to issues like this so don't wait for them to reply.
They'll simply referr you to DJI support as other have suggested

What to do:
• I only have the number for DJI in the states. So if you're in the U.S. call 1 (818) 235-0789
• Wait to speak to a rep. Keep calling back if the lines are busy or a high volume... you'll get through.
• Tell the DJI rep what happened and they'll issue you an RMA to send it to DJI for assessment/repair.
• Usually within a few minutes you'll get an email with an attached prepaid FedEx label.
• Fill out the other additional attachment they send. (Contact information, what happened to the bird etc.)• Print out a copy of your purchase reciept and include that inside the shippment.
Print out the RMA number they give you. Print at least four of them as large as possible, cut them out and tape those to top, bottom and 2 sides of the box.
Follow the instructions they send you to the letter. There will be an email outlining some of the above bullet points and additional "must do's." Failing to do so could result a warranty void, returned broken bird or just more lost time.

Ship it out via FedEx and wait. They'll send periodic emails to let you know the status.
Mine had to be immediately sent back a 2nd time the same day I got it from back from the first repair. Regardless my bird should be here Monday. Total of 5 weeks to fix mine.... twice... and send it back to me.

Good luck to you.

2015-10-3
Use props
anjosva
lvl.2

Portugal

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2015-10-4 01:09
My heart goes out to you. I had a very similar incident about 5 weeks ago. On the 207th flight, fly ...

Hi Fhagan02,

Thanks a lot for your advise!

VA
2015-10-5
Use props
anjosva
lvl.2

Portugal

Hi Folks,

I was already able to upload the log files into Healthy Drones and here is the result: http://healthydrones.com/main?share=MTQwODA

Strange thing..when the drone was falling the mode was changing from GPS to ATTI and vice versa.

Thank you!

2015-10-5
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

Wow. How on earth were you able to recover that thing? Not exactly like fishing it out of a shallow pond. But congratulations nonetheless!
2015-10-5
Use props
Johncoffee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1502290 ft
Switzerland

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2015-10-4 02:09
My heart goes out to you. I had a very similar incident about 5 weeks ago. On the 207th flight, fly ...

Why fixing 'twice' fhagan02 ? Just curious....

BR
*John*
2015-10-5
Use props
Axidrain
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2867146 ft
Malaysia

you were flying almost full throttle and stopped pretty abruptly. maybe you fried an esc. what was your active brake settings at?
2015-10-5
Use props
anjosva
lvl.2

Portugal

Axidrain Posted at 2015-10-6 06:06
you were flying almost full throttle and stopped pretty abruptly. maybe you fried an esc. what was y ...

So its supposed to fry an esc if you go full throttle during 2 mins?
2015-10-5
Use props
Flyhigh7887
lvl.3

Ukraine

anjosva Posted at 2015-10-6 15:53
So its supposed to fry an esc if you go full throttle during 2 mins?

Something looks a bit off with the mode switching constantly like that. I won't guess at it.

Definitely definitely definitely, get it and the logs to DJI as soon as possible.

Flying "full throttle" for 2 minutes is not going to hurt your P3... I've got well over 100 flights with mine & 75% of them include some form of all out speed in getting to where I want to video, getting home, etc.

So sorry for your loss...

2015-10-6
Use props
brycerichert
lvl.3
United States

I go full throttle all the time and stop suddenly , then reverse and go 180 and  full throttle again.... Quit a few times per flight.. (Soccer games)... No problem with overheating anything.
2015-10-6
Use props
anjosva
lvl.2

Portugal

Hi Folks,

I've already sent the log files to the store where I bought my Phantom 3 (stockrc). They are going to review the log files and provide some feedback according to their statement.

Do you think its better to talk with DJI directly?

Thank you!
2015-10-6
Use props
anjosva
lvl.2

Portugal

Hi Folks,

Just to put you aware about how this process is at the moment.

I already talked with the store where I bought my Phantom 3 and they've requested a lot of information. Since the beginning that I've explained all the situation but it seems that nobody is paying attention about what I've described. Basically they asked me to collect the log files from the aircraft even after I mentioned (more than once ) that the drone fell in the sea and I wont be able to turn it on again.

Basically the store is already saying that I should not get lucky in this case since the drone was in the water and DJI will not take the responsibility. My question is..Can't we fly over the water? I mean fly with a good height (in this case we are talking about 80meters). Is it my fault if there is some hardware failure when the drone is on the air? To be honest if DJI don't take the responsibility I think I won't buy a new one.  I will lose the trust in this company!

Thank you!

Cheers,

Valter Anjos
2015-10-14
Use props
Flyhigh7887
lvl.3

Sweden

anjosva Posted at 2015-10-14 11:34
Hi Folks,

Just to put you aware about how this process is at the moment.

you should've been talking with DJI since moment 1, as a few people on here told you. (myself included)

2015-10-14
Use props
anjosva
lvl.2

Portugal

Flyhigh7887 Posted at 2015-10-14 10:49
you should've been talking with DJI since moment 1, as a few people on here told you. (myself inclu ...

I can understand your point of view but I bought my P3A on stockrc. If you list the support numbers for Europe you will see they are there: http://www.dji.com/support > Europe

Which number / email address should I use then?
2015-10-14
Use props
Flyhigh7887
lvl.3

Sweden

anjosva Posted at 2015-10-14 12:45
I can understand your point of view but I bought my P3A on stockrc. If you list the support number ...

DJI GmbH        Support.eu@dji.com        +49(0)97479304200        Mon - Fri 9:00am - 3:00pm (German Time GMT+1:00)

i guess... i have never had to contact them, but many others have.
2015-10-14
Use props
anjosva
lvl.2

Portugal

Hi guys,

Just to let you know that I got my new P3A today from DJI support. However I'm not aware what happened with my aircraft yet. I'm still awaiting some feedback about the root cause of this problem.

I'm happy to receive a new aircraft from DJI but not everything is okay in my point of view. I should have received some report where I can understand what happened and what was done by DJI. I haven't received new propellers and I have received a remote control that I think it wasn't the same that I've sent..at least this one is very dirty and I haven't send it on that conditions.

I'll keep this post updated with the feedback provided by DJI.

Thank you!

Valter Anjos
2015-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules