964 11 2015-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

I pose a very broad question here.
I have 125 flights and I have produced literally 100s of photographs and panoramas.
My friends have asked me for copies of my work and are willing to pay, but I have obviously declined payment, although my pictures are on their walls.
So what do I do, get officially qualified so that I can start a business and start taking payment for my work, or stay an enthusiastic amateur, and just enjoy it?
I have 3 major reservations about the business side, first is cost of training and insurance, the second is the quality of the P3 images, as I don't think they are sufficient for large scale reproduction, so it will involve me moving onto bigger craft and better cameras.  Thirdly as a pro, I would have to undertake risk assessment of each and every job, probably have to employ an assistant/spotter, have to consider every flight as money making, and just loose the joy and spontaneity of driving some where and having fun.
Have you asked yourself the same questions?
What are your answers?
2015-10-3
Use props
john_351
lvl.2
Flight distance : 128675 ft
United States

I'm a semi professional photographer. (UAV part only for fun)  which is pretty much more cut and dry then using the UAV, as then you have the expense of getting the FAA exemptions,  getting whatever pilot license is required (I looked into this sometime ago and forget all the details, except for "too much involved") .

As far as the standard photography, it's pretty cut and dried, I can take what I want as a "TFP" (Trade for Photos), or an actual paid shoot, or simply as a favor for a friend if it sounds interesting.  I'm never going to make more money then my "real job", it will always be for fun.   To go fully pro, I would have to get some better equipment,  take every shoot I can, PR myself etc.  Adding the UAV aspect of it, adding the expense and hassle of getting the FAA exemptions, licensing etc you would have to be fairly profitable out the door for it to be worthwhile IMO.

You wouldn't necessarily lose the spontaneous stuff, but you might lose the WILL to do it.   
2015-10-3
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
United Kingdom

john_351@yahoo. Posted at 2015-10-3 18:46
I'm a semi professional photographer. (UAV part only for fun)  which is pretty much more cut and dry ...

Good points there John.
I just wish I could sell a few to recoup my expenditure, and also give a wider and more general audience the view of my local world that I enjoy from 400 foot.  Or lower.
DJI_0518.jpg
2015-10-5
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

I would sit tight for a while and see what kind of legislation comes down the pike. My guess is the pilots license thing will be going away in leu of a written exam or something a little more attainable.

We are sending one of our photographers to flight school now. But I work for a fortune 100 company, and we need to be able to fly commercially right now.
2015-10-5
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is a very tough business my friend. I did it professionally for years and you will never get rich, barely survive Lismore like it. If you have a good job stick with it and enjoy your Phantom and camera gear.
2015-10-5
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

Heres my thoughts on stuff like this. When you take a hobby and try to turn it into a business, the fun of it gets sucked right out of it. I'm REALLY good with computers, but i only like working on them for fun. Everyone tells me to start a computer business but I refuse as then my hobby becomes another "have to" in life. My best philososphy i can give you is: "KISS"
2015-10-5
Use props
john_351
lvl.2
United States

jayhkr Posted at 2015-10-6 03:10
Heres my thoughts on stuff like this. When you take a hobby and try to turn it into a business, the  ...

I can vouch for that, as computers and IT ARE my aforementioned "real job".   

When a family member is like "hey I have this problem with my computer...." it's very hard not to projectile vomit on their shoes.

Aside from that I havent done desktop support for ages, it's all backend and network  now.
2015-10-7
Use props
john_351
lvl.2
United States

liningiv Posted at 2015-10-6 00:21
Good points there John.
I just wish I could sell a few to recoup my expenditure, and also give a wi ...

Beautiful..  Wish there was nice things around here,  I have to travel just for some interesting rocks, rather then crap brown scrub brush prevalent here in socal.
2015-10-7
Use props
bill
lvl.3

United States

jayhkr Posted at 2015-10-5 15:10
Heres my thoughts on stuff like this. When you take a hobby and try to turn it into a business, the  ...

100% spot on. Speaking from experience here. Decided to turn my photography hobby into a business. Built out a nice website. Opened the bank account, registered the business name, etc.  It didn't take learn for me to start wondering what I was thinking.  Long story short, a ton of work and a decent amount of money now sitting idle and I am just starting to pick up my gear for fun again.

Love you hobby? Don't ruin it by turning it into a business.
2015-10-7
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am not actively looking for jobs until the rules with the FAA / congress are sorted out.  But if someone offers me money, I take it.
2015-10-7
Use props
BillG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 129301 ft

United States

I'm getting into it with some pilot friends because it's cool tech, fun, and we think we can make a little money with it. Having pilot certificates already makes it attainable. Filing for a 333 is free and easy (just copy one that is already approved.) Learning to take and edit good video is not as easy! My goal is to make back the money I have in the equipment eventually (that concept worked with my DJ equipment too.)
2015-10-7
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks for all the advice chaps.
It was a bit of a rhetorical question, as I think I already realise that for the cost involved in getting qualified, and the expense of equipment that would satisfy me professionally, I would never even recoup the outlay.

My ideal would be to produce a whole series of picture postcards for sale locally and an occasional big print for show or sale.  But its not worth the expense of training just to sell a few postcards......
I'll keep practicing my Still shots.  Video is a whole different ball-game.
2015-10-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules